The Lovely Predator

Chapter 6

Okay, so this day didn't start off like any regular day. First off, I don't have much memory of what the hell happened last night. Second; well, why not take a look?

I'm in the living room with a tank top, comfy shorts and knee-high socks, eating my favorite brand of cereal. Nothing interesting is on, so I settle for a sitcom about a single dad and a nanny.

" Ren!" Madison calls from the kitchen.

" In the living room!" I shout back, shoving a spoonful of cereal into my mouth.

" Come!" She and Mason shout.

" Why?"

" Just come!" Mason exclaims.

I mumble to myself as I get off the couch and walk into the kitchen, placing my bowl on the coffee table.

" What?" I ask, wearing an annoyed expression.

Madison was on the phone and Mason was pale, only making me more aware of what was going on. I approach the counter where they both sat.

" Yes, I'm sure we can. . . I'll let her know. . . I'm so sorry to hear this. You don't know how devastated we are right now. . . We'll see you then," then Madison hangs up the phone, sighs deeply and looks at Mason. Mason looks back at her. They keep me in total silence as they use their twin powers to communicate.

Mason looks at me. His face solemn. " Serenity, what you're about to hear-"

" Tell me already! Don't sugar code it!" I shout, eager to know what's going on.

" Mabel is in a better place," Madison says quickly. Mason gives her a disapproving look.

" Thank you Madison, for being direct," I say silently. " Now, if you need me, I'll be in my room." I begin to stumble towards my room. I hear the twins get off the high chairs when I almost fall against the wall.

My hearts beating above the usual. How do I react to this? My best and only friend died? No, this can't be. I spoke to her last night! She just had food poisoning! My cold hands begin to tremble. It's just a dream, a nightmare. I'll wake up from this soon. I get a slight headache as my path begins to blur and I'm barely walking into the living room. It's a cruel joke they're playing on me. I see Hayden walk in from the front door and the first thing he does is run up to catch me as I fall.

Three pairs of hands grab me. Three pairs of hands sit me on the couch. Three warm embraces won't stop the pain I'm feeling right now. Mabel can't be gone. She just can't. .

I'm sitting in the living room. Tears are still streaming down my face, but my weeping has gone silent. Instead, I listen in on the conversation going on in the kitchen.

" So, explain to me, what happened last night?" Mason asks, his voice sounds nervous.

" She was fine 'til she ate something at prom. She left to the restroom to vomit," Hayden explains in a calm tone.

" So. . . Do you think someone poisoned the food?" Mason questions.

" No, because a bunch of people ate it. Including your sis, Ren, and myself."

" Then how the h-"

" Guys," Madison interrupts, " Mabel's mother told me how they found her. I doubt it was food causes."

" How'd they find her?" Hayden inquires.

" Well. . . It's very unsettling. Her mom said she called Mabel more than eight times to wake up for a job interview they had today. . ."

Yeah, she was excited to get a summer job at Starbucks. She wouldn't shut up about having me help her on how to behave during the interview, until I finally went off on her. Boy, do I regret that now.

" Her alarm also rang, but it didn't stop, which is when her mom went upstairs to her room. She found. . . blood on her bed," Madison started to whimper, " i-it was coming from her. . ." then she began crying.

I heard screaming. I think it was coming from me. That's when all three of them ran into the room.

Rape? Mabel was raped!? Who would be so cruel to do that?

" She's not dead! She can't be!" I started to yell. I always imagined the death of a loved one, but I never knew how I would react to it. I guess I would just lose my sanity.

" Calm down, Serenity," Hayden says, trying to stop my arms from flinging around crazily. I'm trying to fight all three of them off. I want to get out of here, just for one day.

________________________________________________

My siblings and I missed school the week of Mabel's funeral. I was glad to see my parent's come home, only to have them leave again the next week after Mason and Madison's graduation.

" Mabel was my only daughter. . ." Mabel's mother, Clarisse, was speaking at the podium.

Mabel was peacefully laying in her coffin, wearing a beautiful, velvet dress. Her flats were the same color as her dress with glitter. Her family went up, one by one, two by two and so on. All of them left a picture of themselves in her coffin. I sat between my parents in the front row, crying on my dads shoulder as my mom patted my shoulder. My siblings and Hayden sat in the pew behind us.

" I know sweetie, I know. . ." my mom repeated. Did she really know my pain? Or is she just trying to comfort me?

" Why don't you go up there?" My dad whispers.

I shake my head and look away from Mabel, fighting back the new tears that were forming.

" Serenity," I look up and see Hayden standing in front of me, holding out his right hand. " Come on, I don't want to go alone, neither do you. So we'll go together."

I wipe my face and grab his warm hand. He leads me to Mabel's coffin and we just stand there. My bottom lip started trembling. I hugged Hayden tightly and cried into his chest. He just rubbed my back and said something I didn't catch.

I thought nothing could be worse than the funeral service. Although, that was before the burial came. Mabel's mother fell on her knees as they lowered the coffin. I couldn't see anymore of this, so I turned hugged Hayden- who stood by me the whole time- and stayed like that until they finished burying her.

Rain started to fall, but the sun was still up and shining. I put my chin on Hayden's shoulder and look up at the sky. Somewhere, Mabel was looking down on us as she flew up into the sky with the angels. Now she's at rest, away from all the tragedy making this world horrific. It's just so sad that her last moments had to be suffered. It wasn't like she said; I want to die in my sleep- peacefully and unaware. No, she witnessed everything up to the point where her heart gave out.

I began crying again and Hayden hugged me tighter.

" It's all my fault," I weep.

" How so?" Hayden whispers.

" I should've at least gone over to see her after prom."

" Shut up. You know that makes no sense. None of this is your fault."

" But who do you think did this? Who would be so. . ."

" Don't stress yourself on this. Just leave it to the investigators, they'll find him."

I don't say anything else. He's right, it's not my fault. I place my nose in the crook of his neck and take in his scent. I know I'm getting too close to a guy I've known for just a few weeks, but he's the closest thing I have right now. My family can't comfort me, just Hayden.

I'll make sure to visit you, Mabel.

The bells of the nearby church began ringing, telling us that the funeral was over. My Parents, Mason and Madison go up to Clarisse to comfort her. I cling to Hayden's arm as we approach her as well. I feel like I need a drink, so I let go of Hayden's arm and walk into the small funeral home. I walk into the kitchen, where four women were blowing their noses and hugging each other. Mabel's aunts.

" Hi sweetie," the redhead says. She was the younger sister of Mabel's mother. I think her name was Charisse.

" Hi," I greet back, walking up to her for a hug.

We didn't have anything to speak about, since Mabel was close to both of us and words couldn't express what we were feeling right now. She was my best friend and Charisse was Mabel's favorite aunt. She just returned to the small group of women who greeted me with a wave. As for myself, I walked up to the fridge and grabbed the only thing that was in there; orange juice.

I open the gallon and pour it into a red, plastic cup. I take a sip, which comforts me and smooths the lump in my throat. I smile when I see Hayden leaning against the arch of the doorway with his hands in his pockets.

" Are you doing better?" He asks.

" Not really," I respond. I didn't expect my voice to crack.

" Here," he walks up to me and hands me a crumpled piece of paper with numbers. " If you need anything, you know how to reach me."

" Thanks, but I could've obtained it from my brother," I tell him, not looking up from the digits scribbled on the wrinkled paper.

" Well, isn't it better to get the persons number from them directly rather than from someone else?" he chuckles.

" True. Thanks, this really means a lot to me," I state, hugging him tightly. Wow, I've got to stop hugging him out of the blue!

" Also, because I knew you wanted my number," he laughs.

I back away and grunt, grabbing my OJ and walking out without another word. I only did that because a major blush was playing on my face.