Status: Complete!!

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

Chapter 15

“So, how was your day?” dad asked as soon as I was in the door.

“Good – we just hung out and watched a movie, then had dinner at his place,” I answered, and he nodded, not bothering to look up from his novel.

“Sounds like a good time,” he agreed, and I went upstairs to my room. A good time was an understatement – it had been incredible. I knew I liked Jared; it just wasn’t any easier to admit it to myself. He was going to leave before the school year was over, I should know better than to let myself have feelings for him.

I sighed and laid down on my bed, staring up at my ceiling. Dad called from downstairs, telling me there was a hockey game on, but I didn’t really feel like watching right now. Dad came upstairs and asked if I was sick or not, and when I replied no, that I just didn’t feel like it sat down on the bed.

“What’s wrong honey? You’re never not in the mood for hockey,”

“I’m fine dad, honest. I just want to think, that’s all,” I told him as I sat up.

“Just like your mother,” he sighed, and ruffled my hair.

“Well, if that boy does anything that upsets you, you tell me you hear? I won’t stand for some hockey player hurting my baby girl,” he told me, and kissed the top of my head.

“He won’t daddy, Jared’s a nice guy. And besides, we’re just friends,” I reminded him, and he chuckled.

“If the way he looks at you is any indication it won’t be that way for long,” he told me before getting up and heading back downstairs.

Could my dad be right? Could Jared actually like me back?

I shook my head, feeling the hot tears at the back of my eyes. Why would he? He could have any girl at school – all of them prettier or smarter or more athletic than me. I was just his friend, a plain, average girl who he could be himself around, and nothing more.

I pulled my pillow to my chest, and felt a few tears fall. Maybe if I was more like them he would like me, I thought, and then stood up in front of my mirror. I knew I was heavier – I mean, I’m not built to be a size zero – but I could definitely stand to lose some weight. Maybe that would help?

With a sigh I sat back down on my bed, and wondered what the hell had gotten into me. I’d never really cared about how I looked, because it’s not like I had a boyfriend to impress or anything like that – nobody else cared. But I knew what had gotten into me, and it was a certain red-headed hockey player from Thunder Bay.