Status: Complete!!

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

Chapter 18

Kassidy's P.O.V

“Wow, I can’t believe Eric just invited us to a party,” Alanna gushed, making me laugh.

“This coming from the anti-hockey player girl?” I teased, and she elbowed me as we walked home after school.

“I know, I know, but have you seen him? And he’s so sweet,” she admitted, making me laugh.

“We should run to the mall and get a new shirt or something; have some girl time. And seeing as nothing seems to fit you anymore,” she pointed out, and I wrapped my arms around me. I’d been working out a ridiculous amount and I’d cut my calorie intake by nearly half to lose about twenty-five pounds in the last month and a half.

“We should go shopping,” I agree, and when we get to my house we dropped off our school stuff and made our way to the mall we usually went to. After going to a few stores we found some nice shirts, and Alanna gushed over every sparkly, club-type shirt she forced me into.

“Jesus! When were you gonna tell me you’d lost a bunch of weight? Victoria’s secret called and they want their boobs back,” she told me, and I felt self-conscious. I’d never been the person people fawned over.

“Shut up,”

“I’m serious! You look incredible! We should find you some new jeans too – that belt does not go small enough to hold those ones up,” she told me, and I sighed, allowing her to drag me through the store until I had three dress tops and two new pairs of skinny jeans. I had to admit it looked nice though.

“You should let me do your hair Friday night,”

“Sure,” I agreed, and she looked floored.

“Really? No argument? No nothing?” she asked, and I shrugged.

“I guess not – but I’m doing my own makeup,” I told her, and she nodded.

“Sounds fair – as long as you help me pick out what to wear too,” she decided, and we spent another half an hour or so at the mall window shopping and just talking.

Wednesday and Thursday seemed to fly by, but Friday drug on for what seemed like forever. I was nervous, because I knew Jared was going to be at that party, and we’d basically avoided each other since the incident at my house. I missed him, more than I should, but as much as I tried to shove it away and make it not affect me anymore it wasn’t really working. Every time I saw him my heart skipped beats and I had trouble catching my breath. And every time that happened I had to remind myself that I was being stupid because he obviously didn’t see anything in me.

When Alanna showed up at my house just after supper with her bag in hand my dad didn’t say a word – he just went into the living room to watch TV. On the other hand we went upstairs to my room, turned my stereo on and began to get ready. We hadn’t done a ‘girls night’ or anything like that since last summer, so it was nice to just be a girl. Alanna put my hair into loose curls, and I was shocked at how nice she got it to sit; usually my hair was a huge frizzy mess; now it looked like it had jumped off of a shampoo commercial. True to my word I straightened her hair for her, and braided two sidepieces from the front until they met in the back, then braided them together instead of putting a ponytail holder in it; she liked the whole kind of relaxed/hippie look.

I slid into a new pair of jeans and the white halter-top, Grecian style shirt Alanna had picked out for me, as well as a pair of flats. When I turned around to ask her what she thought Alanna just gasped, before making me spin a circle.

“What the hell? Why don’t you wear nice stuff? Look at you!” I turned and hardly recognized the girl in the mirror staring back at me with the deer-in-the-headlights look. This girl was slim, curvy, and even without makeup kind of pretty. Nothing like how I normally looked.

“Wow, now you’re bound to attract every male at the party,” she grinned, pulling on the top she’d picked for tonight – a cute red shirt that was basically strapless except for the cute little string halter that came from the cut-out in the front.

“Shut up – you have that role nailed down,” I shot back, and she stuck her tongue out at me before we started doing our makeup, and then she insisted on painting my nails. That meant I had to do hers, and we were sitting talking by the time ten thirty rolled around and we decided to leave the house.

“See you later dad!” I called, and got a grunt in surprise.

“We might stay at my house too, just so you know Mr. Falls,” Alanna added, and he managed an “okay, have fun!” before we were out the door and into Alanna’s car.