Status: Complete!!

I Never Promised You A Rose Garden

Chapter 7

Jared's POV

I was so happy I could have hugged Kassidy’s friend; knowing that she wouldn’t go without Alanna being there. After I’d offered for her to sit with my family I realized how bad of an idea it was; Mom would immediately assume she was my girlfriend and ask embarrassing questions, Eric would tell her embarrassing stories about me, Tanya would be grilling her about relationship shit to see if I was treating her right, all the while my poor old dad would be trying to watch the game. Not exactly a nice thought for the start of a friendship.
“That’s great! D’you guys want me to get you some tickets?” I asked, and Kassidy shook her head.
“No, that’s all right; dad has season tickets so we’ll use those,” she politely refused, and raised an eyebrow when I couldn’t wipe the smile off of my face.
“What’s with you?” she asked as we walked down the hall; I had Chemistry and my classroom was only a few doors down from the Art Room.
“Nothing,” I replied, grinning as she gave me an unconvinced look.
“Come on Jared,”
“It’s just cool,” I shrugged, trying to figure out how to put this into words. “To have a friend who isn’t on my hockey team, somebody who I can talk to about stuff that’s not hockey without feeling weird.”
“Can’t Eric or Marcus talk about stuff other than hockey?” she asked.
“Well, Marcus can as long as she’s hot and he thinks he has a chance with her, otherwise no. And Eric I can, but I dunno, we don’t talk a lot. Not like we do,” I told her, and she seemed to get embarrassed.
“Oh,”
“What? Is that weird?” I asked, and she hook her head violently.
“No, just… funny I guess,” she allowed. I paused, waiting for an explanation.
“Funny that you picked the one person most of the school believes to be anti-social to be your friend,”
“You aren’t anti-social. You’re just quiet,” I shrugged. We could spend hours talking, and last week started going for walks together; it was probably my favourite thing to do in Sudbury. Spend an hour hanging out and getting to know her.
“Thanks Jared,” she said, a small smile on her face.
“Well I’ll let you go to class; see you tonight! Pizza after the game?” I asked, and reluctantly she nodded.
“If you want to,”
“Course I do! Alanna can come and Eric will probably come, it’ll be fun,” I insisted. She finally nodded, a smile gracing her face as she turned to go into the Art Room. I continued until I got to Chem, knowing it was going to be a long, long class. Like it was every game day, but today was different. Today I had plans after the game.