Sequel: Wish You Were Here.

Band on the Run.

Never Let Me Go

Roger and Syd wandered down the stairs like zombies, Roger’s hair was all messy and he had dark circles under his eyes. He had a pretty bad trip so when he finally came out of it and fell asleep I was so relieved for him. Syd’s hair was messy too, but it was always messy. He didn’t look nearly as bad as Roger, he and Nicole had a decent trip. He mostly looked like a zombie from being woken up by me and Cheryl singing along with the Beatles at the top of our lungs.

“Morning sleepy heads!” I exclaim, they both groan in response. Cheryl and I look at each other and giggle. I felt so domesticated at that moment, it was probably the first time I’ve ever felt domestic at all. Growing up in my family was more like being born than as soon as you could talk being thrown out into the world.

Roger lays his head on the table while Syd looks like he was having a lot of fun peeling the paint off of the chair beside him. As I studied them intently I became sad that Cheryl and I would be leaving in a few hours, it would be months before we saw them again.

Cheryl nudges me in the ribs, I snap back into reality “Is he okay?” She indicates Roger, I shrugged.

“I don’t know really.” I tell her before we set down the breakfast plates, Syd and Cheryl immediately start eating. Roger just sits there and stares at it as I take tiny little bites.

“Roger, are you okay?” I asked him, worry filling my heart.

He nods, “I’m just not hungry.” He walks outside with his shoulders slumped, I look at Cheryl who shrugs.

“I’ll go talk to him.” I state, I follow him outside. He was sitting on the front porch playing with a flower when I sat beside him.

“Roger, please tell me what’s wrong. Please.” I beg

He shakes his head, “I’m just upset you’re leaving is all, you’re gonna be gone for a long time.”

I look down at my feet, “I’m upset too, but I mean I’ll be back before you know it.”

He kisses my forehead, “Just when I start to like you,” he sighs, “you run away. Let’s not make a habit of running away.”

Neither of us knew then that in the future that would become a major habit.