Sequel: Wish You Were Here.

Band on the Run.

I Me Mine

March 13, 1961

Not much was said between me and Roger that night, he was just sitting back boiling in his anger. I don’t think he understood how hard this was for me, but I couldn’t stay here forever and I only got one scholarship despite all the work I put into school. I had the slightest suspicion it was because I was a girl, but I didn’t care. It was a full college scholarship, a poor girl from Cambridge whose father disappeared and her mum was a drunk couldn’t do much better. Cheryl wasn’t mad at me for leaving, only because she would be heading the same way soon and Syd wasn’t mad at her but Roger was totally pissed at me.

“Roger, I didn’t get as lucky as you and a have a million scholarships at my disposal.” I didn’t look at him while I spoke, I just continued to pack my things. I had to be in London tomorrow.

“Nicole, you really don’t have to go to school so far away do you?” He asked, his voice now gentle.

“It’s not that far away Roger, maybe it’s not right down the road anymore but it’s not like I’m moving across the country or anything.”

I packed the last bag and sat down on my bed, his eyes wandered from the floor to my face for the first time in nearly in hour. In all the time me and Roger have been together, whether we were loving each other or hating each other, I’ve never seen him cry. At that moment though he was crying, his eyes turned a brilliant shade of blue. They were so blue they were almost white.

I was so shocked, I’d never seen him so desperate before, “I don’t want you to leave, I’ve gotten used to having you close to me.”

“I deserve a career too Roger, even if that means us having to spend some time away from each other for a little while.”

Everything became silent again and as if on cue the phone rings, I answer it with a rude “What?” partially because I knew it was Cheryl.

“Okay, me and Syd have some shrooms! We’re coming over!” She says excited then hangs up.

I go outside with Roger following close behind me, I go to the field behind me house. The grass has grown up to my waist, but there’s a flattened path that leads to four flattened imprints where we lay and talk whenever we all get stoned together. I sat down in my usual spot, this time Roger sits beside me. He pulls me close to him and kisses my forehead, it was a long time before suddenly he spoke to me.

“Nicole, I love you. I really do.” A small smile spread across my face, I lift my head and kiss his lips gently.

“I love you too Roger.” We both smiled again as Syd and Cheryl ran through the grass towards us.