Sequel: Wish You Were Here.

Band on the Run.

Papa Was a Rollin' Stone

March soon turned into April, and April quickly turned into May without anything interesting happening. I made one friend besides David, it was a girl named Louise. She was totally different from Cheryl and the few friends I had back home, she was a bit of a prude. She was attending Queen Mary University with me only she was taking business management and I was taking English and Drama.

I didn’t here from anyone back home until one day I got a letter in the mail from my mom. It was short and it her scribbly writing it read:
May 24, 1961

Nicole,
I’m
sorry I wasn’t around to say goodbye to you when you left for college, in fact I’m very sorry I wasn’t around the last two years you lived here. I’m happy you’ve gone to college though, you’re much smarter than I was at your age. Roger tells me that you want to be a college professor, that’s really great.

Speaking
of Roger, he’s been hanging around here quite a bit. He’s been doing yard work and things like that for me, but sometimes he goes back to the field and he just sits there. He’s a mighty nice boy, too bad things didn’t work out between you too.

Love,
Mummy


I put the letter back in it’s envelope, it was a nice gesture but for some reason it made me angry. I stuffed it in a drawer beside my table and finished getting ready for my date with David. Louise walked in while I was pinning my bangs back, she announces that David was here.

“Give me like five minutes.” I say with a smile. Since I left Cambridge I’ve cut my hair off short, just barely above my shoulders. I had a lot of natural curl to it so unlike most girls I had no need for a perm.

I walked out to the living room and David stands up, a smile stretches across his face. He looks me up and down for a minute, “You look great.”

“Thank you.” I hold onto his arm and we walk outside.

“So where are you going to take me tonight?” I leaned close to him, he kept smiling as always.

“It’s a surprise missy.” He kisses my temple, it was nice to be with a guy like David. He was just totally sweet while Roger always held back as if hiding part if himself from me.

He takes me into a club, I couldn’t see the name of it but when we walked in there it was like walking into a whole new world. Everyone was dressed in black or gray and there was red lighting. Most everyone in the room was very mod, I felt out of place. I looked up at the stage and there was a band up there that looked kind of familiar, the lead singer had large lips but he was cute.

“The Rolling Stones,” David whispers in my ear, “you like them right?”

I nodded, my eyes still studied all of the people in the room. They were all so different from me and David. As the night went on I got somewhat tipsy, soon I was drunk, and soon after that I blacked out.