Sequel: Wish You Were Here.

Band on the Run.

Heartbeat.

A few months later...

Syd and I lived in a neat little flat near the bookstore and the record shop in London. Nicole and David lived three blocks down and Roger lived upstairs to us. We also lived next door to an elderly couple and on the other side, a nice man named Richard Wright. The guy was pretty cool, he knew a lot about music and loved to play piano.

Syd and I often went over to listen to him play.

One night, I invited Nicole and David over for supper, as I decided I would put my culinary skills to good use and cook everyone a great, French meal.

When they finally got here, I brought them over to the balcony and we all sat down to smoke a joint. The man next door was on his balcony as well, looking over to us.

"Mind if I join?" He asks, looking at me.
"Not at all! I'll go unlock the door for you." I left a moment, to go open the door for Richard.

When I returned, everyone but Syd were a bit confused at this odd, little man. Richard was shy, quiet and really reserved. But what he lacked in social skills, he made up for in his musical skills.

"David, Nicole, this is Richard, my neighbor." I presented, letting him sit down.
"Oh, please Cheryl, call me Rick. Richard sounds way too formal." He chuckled, getting passed the joint.

I became really good friends with Rick. I was often at his house if I wasn't at the record store, working my ass off all day and night. I really wanted to open up my own restaurant. I didn't see why not...

Nicole was pursuing her dream, why couldn't I? I wanted the world to taste my food.

I was talking to Rick about that one night, when Syd came home, obviously high on acid. He had started taking a lot lately, but I didn't really take any care in it.

He kissed me on the forehead, sat down next to Rick and began fiddling with his guitar. Syd could make a lot of random noises sound really good and in tune. I wondered if him and Roger were still working on that band?

"Hey, you sound really good. Maybe sometime we can jam out together?" Rick asked, smiling at Syd.
"Yeah...no problem, mate...sounds like a good idea." Syd slurred, slumped on our couch and I shook my head.

Rick and I walked over to the balcony, watching the world before us. I sparked a joint, inhaled and passed it to Rick.

"You're in love, aren't you?" He asked.
"Yeah. I am." I sighed and smiled.
"I really wish I had someone of my own. Just someone that I could come home to, high as fuck, and kiss on the forehead." We both chuckled at his wish, but he sighed sadly.

And I knew just the girl for him...