Sequel: Wish You Were Here.

Band on the Run.

Only One

My mom came to see me for the first time since me and Roger moved out of our dingy little apartment into a house. It had a small building in the back yard where I had set up an art studio. It was a nice place to get away from everything and just sink back into my own little world for a little while. Some nights I would stay out there until early in the morning, in fact that's where I was when my mom came to visit.

She opened the door slowly and said my name quietly. I turned around and when I saw her I wasn't sure if I wanted to hug her or stick my nose up in the air and shun her. So I wipe the paint off my fingers and walk over to her, "Hi Mom."

She hugs me tightly, I barely hug her back. I was fifteen when she left, and she never came back. Now she wants to come back around, "Come on inside, I'll make some tea." I say with a forced smile.

When we get into the kitchen I look at the clock and notice that it's only 7:00 a.m. I had waken up earlier this morning and had thrown up, Roger tried to get me to come back to bed but I just couldn't sleep. I threw up two more times before deciding to go out to do some painting, Mom sensed that I was deep in thought so she started the tea.

"Have you eaten breakfast?" She asked, I didn't answer so she begins throwing breakfast together too. Roger stumbled out of the bedroom moments later.

"Good morning ba-" He sees Mom in the kitchen cooking and stops mid-sentence, he looked as if something had stomped on his toe. Then again, that could've been me without even thinking much about it.

They begin talking about whatever it is that crossed Roger's mind, and I slipped back into thought. I thought about how Dad used to slip into his own little world, his Gray eyes would become blank. I wondered if I looked the same way.

"Were you really sick this morning?" Mom asked suddenly as she sets down a plate of french toast and bacon in front of.

"Yeah I did, I feel okay now though." She looked at me suspiciously as I begin eating, Roger doesn't look as suspicious. He looks more panicked.

"Did you feel sick before or did it just start?" I told her this was the first time I'd even felt sick.

It wasn't long before I was upstairs getting ready for work, to my surprise Mom comes in and sits on the unmade bed. I pulled on my skirt and noticed it was a little bit tight, Mom noticed too.

"So, when are you going to tell Roger?" She asked, my eyes widen and I stare at her for a long time. I left her sitting there and went off to work. She's a crazy woman.