Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

prologue

It all began the Saturday before school started again after summer vacation. It had been a cool night- still air, but chilly enough that you'd need a sweater. It made you really think about why the summer days were so hot, but the nights were so cold. Nothing could be heard except for that soft chirp of the crickets, the kind of chirp that had come to be related with silence. It had only been around 11 p.m. that night and as per usual, I sat on my unmade bed, playing games on my laptop.

I tapped my fingers quickly, trying to kill some zombie or whatever I was doing when there was a sudden chill that ran through my body. At first I thought it was from the the summer air, but my window was shut. I finally came to grips that it was the kind of chill you get when you know your being watched. My heart immediately sped up in my chest, my forehead started getting damp with sweat.

Coo-coo, comes the sound from outside my window. It was quick, but human. I felt foolish as soon as I heard it- it was my best friend in the whole world, Connor. I got up as quietly as possible and made my way to the window, undid the lock, and lifted it up until it was all the way up. I wait and watch as a figure darts from the tree in my back yard to the side of my house, scaling the siding until they reach the window on the second floor. This process had only taken about a minute, which means Connor was getting much better at this. As he climbed into the window, I crossed my arms. He hadn't talked to me all summer.

"Priss, I know you're mad," he whimpers. His usually short brown hair had grown longer, curlier, reaching down to his shoulders. I wasn't attracted to the boy in front of me, but it was a cute look. Almost as cute as his beautiful brown eyes were.

"You're damn right I'm mad! You've ignored me for almost three months, but yet you feel like you can climb through my window and all will be forgiven?" I stomped my foot, careful not to do it loudly, in fear that I'd wake my parents up. Connor's tan face suddenly fell, eyes grim.

"I don't need to be forgiven," he whispered. I turned and looked directly into the mirror. Brown, flowing hair. Emerald green eyes and soft pink lips- so much beauty ruined by the angry expression upon my face. Connor didn't look up, just kept his eyes on the floor. Something must really be wrong.

"What do you need?" I asked, trying not to let my voice waver. I was still mad, but there was a concern for him growing inside me. I couldn't just turn away the best friend I've ever known, especially when he seemed to be hurting inside.

"You're trust, faith, and..." He stopped, finally searching the mirror for my face. We locked eyes for a brief moment and he whimpered before continuing. "I need you to lie for me."

I turned back to face him, narrowing my eyes and peering into his eyes. They revealed so much hurt, but at the same time they revealed so little. I placed a trusting, comforting hand on his shoulders. "Lie about what?"

"I need to go away for awhile. Three weeks- a month tops. My parents will take care of the explanation to my teachers, but you...if somebody asks where I am, tell them I'm at my aunt's for the month. But..." He looked down.

"But what, Connor?" He bites his lip- and hard. Blood rushed from his lip and down his chin. I would have screamed at the time, but it didn't seem to phase him. He was scaring me, more than I'd ever been scared before. The blood was fresh and a deep red. I was starting to get uneasy.

"If a group of boys asks where I am... Don't tell them a thing." I breath out, still looking into his eyes. Blood dripped from his chin to my floor. I had to blink for a second, just to take the time to think about this. His request had seemed so easy, so simple, yet so terrifying. I suddenly made the decision to help him.

"You'll only be gone for three weeks?"

"A month tops," he whispered, his eyes searching for mine this time. I gulp.

"I'll do it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so I hope you like this!
Only this chapter will be in past tense, sense it's more a memory or something in the past.
All of this will take place in present tense after this.
Please subscribe and comment(: