Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

the hunger

"Sit with me, Priscilla," is the first and only thing my mother says to me as I enter the kitchen. The rest of my day had gone over very smoothly and it makes me very happy. For the first time in a month people were willing to talk to me. Not just Lewis's pack either. People must have noticed they've stopped following me and figure it's safe to speak to me. Plus, I'm pleased as punch to have been invited to that bonfire. Reluctantly, I set my bag down on the floor and take a seat at our table, trying to avoid eye contact with my mother. "I think it's time we had a talk."

"About?" I ask curiously, though I think I know the answer.

"About the way you've been acting." Bingo. I guess I do owe Mom some sort of explanation. I mean, first I was scared and jumpy, afraid to leave the house. Then, all of the sudden, I was trying to get out last night with such a desperation. "I know you, Priss. I can tell when somethings on your mind. I've ignored it this long because it didn't seem like you wanted to talk about it yet, but I can't wait any long. You're going to tell me the truth, whether you want to or not, right now. I'm worried about you."

I bite down on my lower lip and try to think of any way out of this conversation. The truth is I wish I could tell my mom about all I've learned in the last few days. I want to tell her that some of the people she knows aren't people at all. I want to tell her that some people can just transform into animals sometimes. Even if Lewis's spit wasn't blocking me from saying it, I'm not sure I could tell her anyway. Why should I corrupt the way she looks at the world. Finally, I speak up. "Where should we start?"

My mother looks up, a little startled. She hadn't expected me to give in so easily. In all honesty, I want a great relationship with my mom. Things got a little rocky after my father died a few years ago. Our fighting increased a little, she started to work more, and eventually we only saw each other late at night when we would watch a movie together or eat popcorn and laugh at Judge Judy. It's good here, don't get me wrong, but it would be amazing to be able to talk to Mom about boys, clothes, and school.

"How about you being jumpy all month?" She asks. My mother is still dressed in her pajamas, her brown hair pulled back and her hazel eyes were about as comforting as Lewis's embraces. "You're not on drugs are you?" She leans toward me, furrowing her brain. You're not serious, are you? I think, but I know she is.

"No, I'm not on drugs," I tell her with a straight face.

"Oh God- you're not pregnant, are you?" The alarm on my mother's face is almost so comical that I'm tempted to tell her I am, just to see how angry she gets. Thankfully, I know right from wrong and know that I have to treat this conversation seriously.

"No, Mom! I'm still a virgin!" That is true and I take pride in it.

"Then what's going on?" I think of all the possibilities of ways I can tell her. I was being followed by a bunch of kids who want to know where Connor is. Now that I think about it, everything sort of links back to Connor. Suddenly I have a story that is absolutely true, though it might not be the truth she's asking for.

"I'm worried about Connor, Mom." She gives me a questioning look. She heard me complain about him the summer, but since school started I haven't even said a word about him to her. Maybe it's time I do, maybe she'll understand.

"You know he didn't talk to me all summer and now, he's moved in with his aunt," I say, feeding her the same lie his parents have been telling everyone. I briefly wonder about that. It's a question I'll have to ask Felix or Lewis. "He doesn't call me, doesn't text me. I'm pretty sure that I've made him mad."

"I get why that would make you all depressed, maybe even a little jumpy," she says, still mulling my behavior over. "It still doesn't explain why you were in such a hurry to get out of the house last night. What was with that?" She places her hand on mine and I blush at the contact. It's been quite some time since we've had any sort of talk like this. Well, one where I actually participated. So, I decide to tell her another truth-lie. That's what I'm calling it, when you tell someone something that's the truth, but it's not the truthful answer to the question.

"See, I think I might like this boy, Mom. He, uh....invited me to the movies and I was trying to rush out of the house. I was just hoping you were asleep or would let me go," I smile shyly. This lie is perfect, I know it. She still looks a little puzzled, so I lie a little further. "So when you wouldn't let me go, I got mad because I was already a little behind... Sorry for acting like such a brat last night."

"It's okay, honey," She smiles at me and I smile back. "I'm glad we talked this out."

"Me too," I say, standing up and grabbing my bag. She gestures with her hand that I can go. I turn to head to the staircase, but stop at the doorway. Turning, I speak.

"Mom?"

"Hmmm?"

"That boy I like... He's throwing a bonfire tonight and he invited me. Most of the junior class will be there," I say. Well, the two natured ones anyway. "It starts around six... Can I please go?"

She thinks it over. "Be home by midnight," she grins. She must have decided our talk had cleared a few things up. Whatever it is, I'm thankful.

"I'll be home by eleven-thirty," I grin and head up to my room without saying another word.

Image


When I arrive, I find it is not what I was expecting in the slightest. Felix had texted me the address earlier. The bonfire is being held in the back of Jordan Kettle's house, out off of Singerport Road. It's a large house that was left to him when both of parents perished last year. Instead of going to another relative, he used the money they left him to get emancipated and still uses it to make payments on the house. They'd both been doctors, so the boy was set for another few years or so.

Since his house is off of a back road and is right next to a sign that reads "dead end," we have plenty of room in his back yard and the woods around us. I guess that's why this is why it's the perfect for the pack to do this- if they happen to turn, no one will come along to see them. I left my house early to walk here and I found that this new endurance and stamina of mine is really proving to be handy. As I walk to the back of the house, I'm very astonished at what I find.

There's a large fire in the middle of the large open space. To keep contained is a large ring of rocks. Like, when I say this thing is huge, I mean it. It's probably 15 feet in diameter and the flames are burning taller than I am. Across from the fire is a large chair that has a some sort of animal pelt draped over it. A cream white wolf sits on the chair -I assume it's a throne- and it's probably the largest wolf I've ever seen. The animal's eyes meet mine. Blue. It's Lewis! I realize. Is he biggest because he's the Alpha? I tuck that question away until later as well. Finally, someone notices my arrival and the know-it-all kid from yesterday saunters over to me. "I don't think I properly introduced myself yesterday," he smiles and holds out his hand like a gentleman. I take it, impressed by his behavior. "I'm Mason."

"Priscilla," I smile and let my hand fall to my side.

"Can I get you anything? Something to drink?" He asks but before I can answer, another male makes there way over to me. He's tall and well built, just like all the two natured, and has sandy blond hair. His eyes match his green basketball shorts, his shirtless chest impressive, but not as impressive as Lewis's. This boy is in my grade and is perceived as a juvenile, which may or may not be true. Andrew Parkly is his name, if I recall correctly.

"The Alpha has requested your presence," he mutters. I can tell he's not happy taking orders from someone else. From watching the Discovery Chanel, I know that Alphas are the leaders of the pack and in this case, the Alpha is pretty much their king. I may not be a werewolf like them, but I'm inclined to obey his wishes. Silently, I walk over to the wolf on the throne, avoiding the stares I'm getting and the huge as hell fire. As I approach Lewis shifts his form back into a human.

"Welcome," he smiles. I smile back. His was kind of contagious. "I feel like I should warn you now- we might do some hunting as the night progresses." I feel my stomach turn. They actually go out in the woods, kill and then eat live animals? I try to push it out of my mind the best I can. I mean, they are part animal. It's in their genes. It's in their nature. I nod, signaling that I understand. "Well, now that everyone is here, we can have a good time!"

After that everyone cheers and Lewis dismisses me so I can go and get to know the pack. First, I make it a mission to chat with the boy who'd shifted into a fox yesterday. He's actually really quiet and shy which is why I think I bothered him when I spoke. With a little effort I learn his name is Carter and he's a transfer from Bakerson, one town over from us. I try and ask why he's the only werefox in a pack of werewolves, but he refuses to answer. I accept that. After all, I am the only actual human in this pack. Even though he was slightly uncomfortable, I think he's pleased someone actually talked to him.

The night goes by pretty quickly and I have to say I'm having a blast. The twenty to thirty two natured here get more rambunctious as the moon starts to raise, but other than that we just sat there telling jokes, drinking soda, and even eating some s'mores. This is my first party and it's turning out great, or I think it is. Around nine o'clock Felix comes over and sits down next to me, shirtless like the rest of the boys. There's a big white bandage on his side, but he acts as if it doesn't really effect him. Maybe it doesn't.

"Felix, what's wrong?" I ask. Now that he's over here and I can talk to him uninterrupted, something came to my mind- he's been really short with me today. Is he mad at me?

"Well for starters, I'm not allowed to Change tomorrow because of my wound. It can rip the flesh open and make it even harder to heal, so I'm stuck at home tomorrow," He sighs. As far as I can gather, two natured are able to transform any time it pleases them, but just like any werewolf, the full moon triggers the feeling in them. They feel it's necessary to Change and run with their fellow brethren.

"If you want, we can do something tomorrow, just us two? It's preoccupy you from the Change," I offer. He smirks, his brown eyes flashing in the fire. He nods.

"I'd like that," He and I both giggles. "It's a date."

Felix and I sit there for awhile, chit-chatting about anything and everything but around nine-thirty, Lewis calls out that it's time for the hunt. Earlier I would have taken that as my sign to leave, but I feel something in me that wants to hunt with them. I bite down on the inside of my lip, but I want it. I want to rip apart a nice juicy rabbit with my teeth and bathe in it's blood. I want it dead. I want to eat it.

I gasp out loud as every two natured in the place shifts in front of me, with the exception of Felix, whom I assume will still be hunting with his pack. It's not them I'm gasping at, however. They all stay there for a minute, waiting to see what I'm going to do. I pretend to look at my watch, but I really could care less about the time. "I, uh, think it's time for me to go. See y'all at school," I turn and start running, not looking back. I'm sure they've already started making their way into the woods.

I want to go with them, my body whines. Just like that, I bite my lip again and start to race home. This isn't me, this isn't natural. Lewis's spit may have increased my senses, allow me to feel what they do, hear what they think- but I know this feeling is all my own. His spit -me being sworn to the pack- is the cause of this. I'm scared of myself. I run a lot faster than most humans, smell better, see better, hear better. Hell, last night I scaled the side of my house and survived the ten foot drop down with no injuries. Oh God, I think. I'm becoming less human.

My body, my mind- me. I'm becoming an animal.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm actually impressed with this chapter.
It's both lengthy and nonsloppy.
So, Priscilla is finally feeling some animal instincts, but don't worry.
She's not two-natured. Being sworn in just has this effect.
Subscribe? Comment?
GIVE THIS SOME LOVE <3