Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

another promise

"Strong emotions trigger the shift," Elijah says, but I've already come to that conclusion. I mean, I've read various books and seen a million movies- some of this stuff isn't as unique as they think. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before, but Elijah is a beautiful boy. He has short brown hair that is styled into a neat faux-hawk and he has big, hazy green eyes. His lips are very pale, but he has tan skin and random freckles on his face and arms. Today he wears a white button up, the collar very straight and his sleeves are rolled up to his elbows. He wears a fancy blue and white diamond patterned sweater vest over the shirt and a pair of khaki pants. I hope that he doesn't have to shift at all today, otherwise all that time and effort into his outfit will have been for nothing.

"I know," I sigh. Lewis had me and Elijah just skip school all together and were now in the backyard of Jordan's house. Elijah had been kind enough to drive me over here and even kinder to be teaching me. Lewis said he'd be here a little later, but that was at least three hours ago. Elijah has been teaching me things I already know or have been told, but he goes a little more into detail. The main thing that he's told me, the one I'm most worried about, is that there is a two natured of almost every animal. There's things such as were-cats, weredogs, werebears, weredeer, werebirds- almost everything there is has a two natured.

"Then you know that your emotions can force the shift, whether you like it or not. But, sometimes, you'll want to change when the your emotions aren't strong, or it's not the full moon. What do you do then?" I bite my lip. For once, I actually can't find a simple answer. I sigh and shake my head.

"Remember those exercises I taught you? The ones to keep the shift from happening when you get to angry or sad?"

"Yes," I nod and recite the process, "I shut my eyes tight, clench my fists and breathe slowly. I focus and try to think of the most human things I can. In a few minutes, the need shouldn't be as strong."

"Very good," he smiles at me and I beam back. I take pride in knowing information. I think of this as a big test and so far, I'm passing it. "But, when you need to shift, you do the first part, but instead of thinking human thoughts, you think wolf thoughts. After awhile, you'll be able to just shift with no problems at all."

I nod and lay back in the grass. Elijah takes a seat, being careful not to get a grass stain on his khakis. My eyes wander up to him. He's beautiful in a way that is just unattainable, but you just have to admire. Lewis and Felix are dangerously gorgeous, sexy, and adorable all together, but Elijah is just in a category of attractiveness all his own. Closing my eyes, I ponder something. "What's like? Being a wolf, I mean."

"It's like," he pauses and leans back on his arms. "It's like losing yourself for awhile. You know exactly what you're doing, you have your own thoughts- but it sets you free. You can forget the pressure of being human for awhile. Sure, we may get into fights, but most of the time, we just hunt or Run. Being an animal is simple; you only have a few primal instincts to worry about."

"Being a human is hard, isn't it?" I ask, though I'm not particularly sure it's to Elijah. "You have all these feelings. You care, you worry, you get depressed, you get angry. Sometimes, life is just to hard for humans."

"That's why it's easy being a wolf- human problems... They just don't matter for awhile."

I smile at this. Becoming two natured, despite the pain I'll have to go through, is starting to sound like a great lifestyle. There are things I'll have to adjust to, but once I find Connor, I'm going to enjoy this life. I'm about to sit up and ask Elijah what the next lesson is but all of a sudden we hear the sound of a vehicle approaching. A car door shuts and a moment later, Lewis walks into the backyard. I grit my teeth. It's time to confront him about Felix's thoughts, regardless of Elijah's presence.

"Did you tell every boy in school that I'm off limits or something?" I ask, not even turning around, but I know he can feel the ice in my voice. I can hear Lewis stop dead in his tracks. With my new sensitive hearing, I can hear his breath catch in his throat.

"Listen, Priscilla," he says but he doesn't finish. I'm not sure he knows how to come up with a lie to feed me. I smirk but in a sarcastic type manner and I get to my feet.

"No, you listen to me, Lewis." By now, my body has turned it's way to his and I have to resist looking into his eyes. One look in there and this argument goes up in smoke. Silently, almost as if it were just a whisper, Elijah mutters, "I'll, uh, leave you two to it," and calmly walks in to Jordan's house via the back door. Lewis is practically sweating now. I've already won this. "You can't just proclaim me off limits or whatever you did. I may want to join your pack and my life may not be all my own any more. I realize I'll have to take orders from you, whether I want to or not- but I think my love life is all mine, is it not?"

"Priss, I only claimed you as my own because... That night, the kiss. I felt something that I've never felt with any girl before," he says before biting his lip. It makes him look weak and vulnerable- makes him look so more human than I've seen and it breaks my heart. He's not really off base. There had been something in that kiss. A fiery flame of a kiss, yes, but even then I'd told him I wasn't ready. Then, there was yesterday with Felix. That kiss... There hadn't been sparks. It had been more like being shocked and being electrocuted- but in a great, intense way. Lewis's kiss just hadn't felt all that meaningful. But maybe it could.

"It was a nice kiss, but I told you," I sigh and my eyes finally meet his. He's starting to make his way toward me, those ice blue eyes so filled with emotion and something almost animal. Shivering, I take a large step backward. "I-I'm not ready for a boyfriend just yet."

Lewis crosses the distance between with little to no effort. He takes my hands in his rough, callused ones. They're the hands of a strong, protective man and just like his arms, they make me feel safe. He rests his forehead on my own and stares deeply into my eyes. "Priscilla, I know what you said, but I can feel what you do. You want this for us, admit it."

"I-i sort of do." I whimper. Lewis laces our fingers together and smiles. He presses just a little forward and our lips meet. It's just a soft brush of the lips, but there is definitely something to it. It reminds me of home and a warm fire. His kisses, his arms, his eyes -Lewis in general- they all ensure security and protection. Even being the independent girl I think I am, I have to admit I love the feeling.

"Then let's stop doing this. This whole thing where we pretend we shouldn't be together. I want to be yours, Priscilla. Your boyfriend. I'm willing to take the time you need-" His promises are cut off by my own. My breathing is shaky, my fingers are trembling, my body's shivering but I swallow and keep my cool.

"After Phoenix," I breathe. "After I bring home Connor, you and I... You and I will be together. It's what I want and I promise you this. We'll be together- I just have to bring him home. He's my biggest concern right now."

With that quirky smile of his, he says, "I think I'm okay with that." Slowly, we untangle our fingers and he backs away from me. I smooth out the shirt of my outfit in an attempt to break the awkwardness. He scratches the back of his neck and grins again. "I did come here with some news."

"Oh?" I tilt my head with mild curiosity. Lewis nods fast.

"Tomorrow night," he beams. When I just tilt my head, even more confused, he elaborates a little more. "That's the night we're going to Change you. There's no rescheduling. Definitely no turning back. I hope you're ready for this."

I try and smile, but my thoughts have already begun to race. I hope I am, too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update. I'm planning on a maybe fifteen or so more chapters before I finish.
Uh, it'd be awesome to tell me if you're Team Felix or Team Lewis.
I'll try to stay more constant!
Give this some love, guys! :D