Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

teethmarks

I lay in bed that night, thoughts plaguing my mind and driving me into a state of insomnia. I grip the pair of tight basketball shorts in my fingers and sigh. Lewis had given these to me right before I'd left Jordan's house. Just like the rest of them, I'd have to wear these tiny shorts under all of my clothes. With the boys, it's easier. They usually just wear looser jeans or shorts so they don't show. But, as far as Lewis has told me, the female two natured usually wear tight spandex shorts. I'd already known that when you shift, your clothes are destroyed in the process, but Lewis explained that tight clothing is unaffected. If it hugs the body just enough, it'll stay untouched.

"Soon I'll have to wear these just about every day," I say to myself. It's almost half past eleven now, the night air is still and cold outside. My mother had gone to bed hours ago and it pains me that tonight is the last night I'll be a human and I didn't even beg her to spend it with me. Am I terrible daughter?

Slowly, I set the shorts down on my bedside table and lean my head back. There is no possible way that sleep will come to me any time soon, but I force myself to think of the little things in my life that make me Priscilla the Human. The outfits, the time I spend on my hair, my love for cooked meat- it'll still be there, but it'll be so useless. I sigh again and finally force myself into a light slumber, but even in sleep my thoughts chase me. You're not going to be the same. Ever again.

Image


"Can I stay over at Violet's house tonight?" I ask my mother as I enter the kitchen. Violet is a girl in my grade, one that I've known for some time. We never really were friends, but we talked a little bit. Plus, I'd recognized her face at the bon fire. She's two natured as well which is what makes my lie a good one. I have no intention of staying with her tonight. I plan on being turned.

"Violet Rosevere?" My mother asks slowly. Since dinner the other night, she's been a little sketchy around me. She must think I'm some sort of blood drinking wanna be vampire freak or something. I'd love nothing more to assure her that that's not the case, but I figure ignoring it is the best approach. After thinking it over for awhile, she nods. "Sure. What do you girls plan on doing?"

"Oh, nothing really. We do have this project for history to work on," I'm lying through my teeth my mother seems to be buying it. "Once we finish, we'll probably just watch a movie or something." My mother narrows her eyes and looks me in the eyes. I find myself wondering if she can see through me or if she knows what's about to happen. I quickly dismiss both conclusions.

"Have fun, then Priss. I can't pick you up and take you there, so you might have to ride with her. Is that okay?" I nod fast but then I move toward her and wrap my arms around her middle. I squeeze tightly and my lips softly kiss her shoulder.

"I love you, Mom."

"I love you too Priscilla," she says and runs her fingers up and down my back. It's possibly the sweetest moment we've ever shared and I'm thankful for it. Her arms may not promise me the security that Lewis's do but they make me feel loved and safe. They make me feel like that no matter what happens tonight, I'm still human enough. We pull away and I fight the urge to sniffle. I turn, pick up my bag, and head out the door. She'll still love me, even if I'm a wolf.

Image


I decided not to go to school today, so I hang out in Jordan's empty house. I had texted Felix earlier to ask Jordan if this was okay and he said it was. I spend the last few hours watching TV and, though I'm sure he doesn't mind, eating his food. I get hungry when I'm nervous and that's all I am right now. A huge pile of worries and nerves. What if it doesn't work? What if my mother wants nothing left to do with me? What if I can't find Connor?

I shake that thought away. That's the whole point of this- to find him. I'm not sacrificing such a big part of my life for nothing. I will find him, no matter the cost.

Around four o'clock, the pack arrives at Jordan's house. None of them actually come inside, so I leave out of the back door. Thirty or so kids, my age and younger, have already begun to walk toward the trees, but Lewis and Felix linger behind to greet me. Felix's tan face looks grim, but I can see that Lewis is trying to fight away a grin. He wants this for me. Felix, on the other hand, hates the idea. As I approach, they start walking as well and they lead me through the forest, weaving in and out of the trees. Being the Alpha, Lewis does move to the front of the group to lead us wherever we're going. I'm not sure if this is traditional, but it makes me feel like one of the pack.

Felix falls in step with me. "He plans on you leaving the day after tomorrow, you know. He'll train you a bit, but then you're off."

"By myself?!" I exclaim in a whisper but Felix just shakes his head.

"Of course not, but you'll have to leave almost as soon as you turn- no experience, no training. Nothing."

"I'll be fine," I mutter. "I can handle myself."

"Priscilla, I just-" but he stops. We've reached out destination. It's not exactly a clearing, but this spot of the forest is virtually empty, minus the pile of branches off to one side and what seems to be small cave. A den, maybe. But what scares me is the four metal stakes that have been pounded deep in the ground. I gulp and though no one says it, I know they're going to tie me to them. My teeth start to chatter.

"Any advice?" I ask him. His answer is not exactly what I expect.

"Choose the one that reminds you most of yourself. That's all I can tell you."

The statement confuses me but I don't have time to look farther into it. The others, including Felix, have moved out around me in a large circle. Lewis breaks into the middle with me, a kind smile on his face. "If you have any doubt about this, now is the time to turn around and go home."

Oh boy, do I have doubts. There's all these doubts racing through me, but since I've heard them in my mind, nonstop, for the past few days, I'm starting not to care. I nod calmly. "I'm not turning back." Lewis regards me with a curt nod and turns around, not facing me. The other wolves do the same.

"You must strip down to your underwear and bra. For the process to be effective, clothing cannot get in the way," he tells me. Shyly, I edge down my pants to reveal the spandex shorts he'd gotten me. They were a soft blue and barely even touched my thighs. I lift off my shirt and toss it to the ground with my jeans. I kick off my shoes and take off my socks. It's weird to be practically naked in the forest, but when they all turn around, it seems like they could care less about my body. Lewis closes his eyes for a second before taking my hand. "I need you to lay in the middle, where those stakes are."

I do as I'm told and lay down on the damp, frigid earth. My back is all dirty and I'm sure the fear shows in my eyes, but even if I want to turn back, it's too late. Lewis kneels down beside me as Elijah walks over, handing Lewis for chains with shackles. They both give me a sympathetic look as Lewis shackles my wrists and binds the chain tightly to one of the stakes. I give it a swift tug, but it won't budge. He finishes chaining me up before standing. I test each chain again but none of them give. I won't be able to get free when they start to hurt me. We meet eyes once more but there's nothing there for either of us. I turn my head away from him.

"Shift," I hear Lewis mutter and I snap my eyes shut. I can't hear it, but I can feel in my bones that the whole pack is changing into wolves, with the exception of Carter. Within a minute, they all start whimpering. Stay calm, Felix projects to me. I try and calm my nerves a little but I keep my eyes shut. It's going to happen any time now, anytime. So soon, it's so close- I think but I'm interrupted by a flash of shear pain.

"Holy sh-" I yell out. I'm not sure who, but on of them have bitten me, right on the shoulder. The bite went deep and I can feel my blood welling in the wound and spilling on to the ground. The bite feels like fire on my skin but my healing ability from being sworn in is taking some of the sting away. I bite down on my lip and squeeze my eyes tighter.

That's when it really started. They take turns sinking their pointed, razor like teeth into my bare flesh. Once in awhile, if I'm not screaming from the pain, I feel them licking up my blood. Bite after bite but the feeling of pain only increases. It hurts like hell and looks even worse. I squirm around, writing in pain but the pack doesn't care. They just keep biting me, howling like they're heaving the best of time. The minutes seem to take forever, or maybe it really has been hours. I can't be sure, but eventually they stop. I take a long, deep breath. I open my eyes but they're hard to keep open. They're drooping. I feel incredibly tired.

"Sleep tight Priscilla," Lewis mutters as he kneels down again. His fingers trail from my palm up until they can rest on my cheek. Slowly, he leans down and presses his lips to my forehead.

"Will this hurt?" I ask sleepily. He shakes his head with a slight laugh.

"Nothing can hurt you anymore, babe." His words are reassurance enough and I let myself drift off into a blissful land of deep, painless sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
5 readers away from another star.
6 subscribers away from another star.
If I get those 5 readers and 6 subscribers, I'll have 10 stars!!
Please, please comment and subscribe!
Tell me what you think ;D