Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

the first few days

Connor's been gone nearly a week and I'm trying so hard to stay cool and collected, but to no avail. I'm worried for that boy. He used to be so innocent, sweet, and funny. But hanging out with Lewis and his crew had turned Connor into a whole new person. A person who didn't call, write, text, or even e-mail me for three months. A person I wasn't very fond of.

"Kids, pay attention to this part. It'll be on your test," says my Pre-Calculus teacher as he taps his finger on the board. It's only the first day of my Junior, yet some of my teachers felt it's necessary to already start in with their curriculum. I silently thank Mr. Pussly for bringing from my thoughts of Connor as I scribble down some equation I'll only memorize for the test.

The classroom is small, compact, and filled to the brim with desk with students who either don't give a shit about their work and are staring off into space or students who care so much that they're writing down every single word that comes out of Mr. Pussly's mouth. And then there's me, the girl who coasts through the middle, only writing down the bare minimum, not caring about the rest. There aren't many like me in this class- just a few people and the boy who's stare falls right on me.

I sense it too, before I even look. When I do look, I find it's a glare that awaits me, instead of just some random stare- this boy has something against. It takes me a moment, but I realize that it's Lewis. He's changed over the summer as well. That slightly taller than average boy was now that slightly taller than average boy with muscles, short blond hair, a pair of dazzling blue eyes, and a cocky grin. The grin is so foolish and confident and I instantly know he thinks I know Connor's whereabouts.

I keep my eyes on my own work for the rest of the hour, working diligently to focus on something other than the devilishly handsome boy giving me a devilish glare. When the bell finally rings, I hop out of my seat. I let a few kids out of the door before I even start walking, just so I don't seem eager, but just as I take my first step, Lewis catches my shoulder. He spins me to face him, his grin growing wider. His eyes sparkle in the fluorescent lights, as if on some sort of cue. And just like that, the whole scene just changes. "Where is he?"

"Where's who?" I ask, playing it cool. My voice came out smooth and with no hint of lying, so I'm very pleased with my skills.

"Don't be coy with me. Where's Connor?" His eyes flicker to Mr. Pussly, who seems to be indifferent to our conversation and just keeps organizing his binder full of lesson plans. I notice Lewis's hand still on my shoulder, so I shrug it off.

"I don't know. He hasn't talked to me all summer... He was hanging out with you." Lewis flinches slightly at this and I have to suppress a giggle. I've never seen of his height nor muscle flinch like that. When he recovers from his flinch, his lips curl into a snarl.

"We know you know where he is. We know he's you're best friend. He only talked about you all summer- so you know where he is, don't you?" I could have swore Lewis just growled at me, but I shake it off and keep calm.

"See, there's my point. He talked to you all summer. So, if you hear anything from him... Please, let me know, 'kay?" Then I just turn, the bitchiest grin plastered to my face. I'm amazing at this, is all I think as I exit the now empty classroom.

Image


A few days pass and I find that I'm finally back in the school rhythm. I haven't made any "new" friends, but there are faces I greet in the halls or sit with at lunch, though most people are now scared to hang around me. It's not that I'm unfriendly or uninviting. It's not because I have bad breath or bad manners. It's because Lewis and his crew have their eyes on me all the time, watching every fucking move I make. It's actually starting to intimidate my classmates. Me as well, but I act like it doesn't bother for me, for Connor's sake.

But trust me, these kids are everywhere I am. It's like they worked out some sort of schedule -and they probably have- so that one is always outside my class when I leave, or follow me to my locker, or even follow me to lunch. Even when I go to the restroom, one of the girls in his crew casually come in after me and leave when I do. I'm not sure if they know how obvious they're being or if that's the point they're trying to put across.

In all honesty, it wasn't to terrible at first, but now it's starting to get a bit creepy.

I quietly finish my homework, tuck it into my backpack and check the clock. Eleven at night. I sigh and trot over to my bathroom, change for bed, and then come back and climb under my covers. I switch off the lamp on my bedside table, closing my eyes and pulling the blankets up to my chin. I breathe in and out and let the charms of the sandman take control- but somethings off. There's a rustling outside the house.

The wind, I decide firmly, but just to be sure I roll out of my bed and stalk over to the window. As I search the dark, empty night, I hear another rustle. I turn my head in the direction, but nothing. Another rustle- still nothing in sight. I'm about to turn and go back to bed, but then there's another rustle and something else.

The quick flicker of a shadow.

I swallow hard, trying not to think about it as I jump back under my covers. I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to force sleep. I'm terrified, though, and sleep will just not come. What could Connor have done that he felt the need to run? Or what could he have done so bad that they're trying so desperately to hear of his whereabouts. I assure myself that I will not get any sleep tonight, but even that's not my immediate concern.

They're watching my every move. I cringe at the thought, turning away from the window. And as I struggle to sleep, I can feel their eyes glaring into my back.

I've never felt so isolated like I am now. Alone in the dark, a group of scary high-schoolers tracking my every move and no one to turn from. I gulp. Two more weeks, just for you Connor. If you're not back by the time you promised, I'm coming clean.

I'm doing this for you, Connor.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this was actually a lot better than I expected.
I promise this will not be your typical Werewolf story.
No vamps involved, I promise!
Comment and Subscribe?