Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

temporary escape

I dig my heels into the soles of shoes and use my nails to dig into the flesh of my palm, both of which are methods to keep me from doing something irrational and stupid. Laura's cool eyes examine while I take longer to process than any normal person should. For taking a look at her, I can tell she's one hundred percent human, but the fact that she speaks of Connor so freely, it's as if she's known him for awhile.

"C-connor was here?"

"Yeah, comes in here every other day or so."

By this time Trisha and Bree had overheard and had already walked over to my side. I half expect them to jump into the questioning, but they are respectful and leave it to me. Trisha lays a warm hand on my shoulder and if I weren't so preoccupied, I would thank her for it.

"When was he here last?" I ask, trying to sound official. I try and push my feelings of relief and comfort and happiness aside but it's a difficult task and I know my true emotions show through. Laura bites down on her lip gently and thinks for a moment.

"I'm pretty sure the last time he was in here was last Thursday," she says, trying to be helpful. I count it up mentally.

"That was four days ago," I cross my arms, "Do you have any idea where he might be staying?"

Laura shakes her head. A bit of sadness flashes in her eyes but I stop the questions. I'm lucky enough that she had as much information as she had, as precious little that may be. I quickly grab a napkin from the bar and Laura conveniently hands me her pen. I sprawl my cell phone number onto and hand it to the waitress. I bite my lip.

"I have to go, but if you see him, you'll give me a call right?"

"Of course."

Image


Bree and Trisha thought it might be best if I had some alone time after meeting Laura, so they dropped me off back at the boys' and I motel room. Trisha walks me to the door. She doesn't say anything -she doesn't need too- but puts her hand on my shoulder. There's sort of a comforting feeling in it, something that makes me trust her. Maybe when this whole thing is over, we could be friends.

Trisha leaves me after that and I go back into the room. I lay backward on the bed and for the first time in a week, I just don't think. I lay there with my eyes on the ugly white ceiling and just do nothing. I don't move, I don't close my eyes. Hell, I'm hardly aware that I'm breathing. Minutes pass. An hour. Two, possibly.

"He's alive," I hear in my brain. Though I'm surprised, I don't freak out. It's a somewhat familiar voice, one that only I can hear. It's Ember, the beast inside of me.

"I know," I sigh. "I just wish he'd come home. Or at least come back to me."

"Everyone has things in their lives that they have to do. Whether it be leaving and not coming back, or avoiding the ones they love most... If they feel it must be done, then it must."

I sigh even louder this time and let a tear escape. I hate crying and I hate the fact that I've cried more in the last week than I have in the past year. "It's just not fair."

"Sometimes life isn't fair. You know that."

"I just wish that for once life wouldn't throw me a fucking curve ball."

I feel Ember sigh within me, her baser instincts making her whine and whimper. As she settles within me, I feel her soul harmonize with mine. We are one being, one being who feels the same startling depression over my friend. "There's something inside me, Priscilla. I can feel that we will find him. It just might not be as you expect"

I close my eyes tight. "That's exactly what I'm afraid of."

The door opens then, a brief burst of October wind and then a slam. "What are you afraid of?"

It's Felix. "Nothing," I lie, "I was just talking to myself."

I sit up and scoot backwards until my back is up against the headboard. Felix stalks over to the bed, his footsteps surprisingly quiet. His brown eyes are sullen and sympathetic, which is also how he feels. My mind briefly brings back this morning; the kissing, the feeling of never wanting him to let me go. I try hard to push it from my mind and curl my knees to my chest.

He climbs onto the bed and sits next to me, long legs extended. Without a word, he wraps his arm around my shoulder and draws my body closer to his. He's warm to the touch, maybe even a little over heated. His fingers soft;y brush up and down the skin of my arm. It's reassuring and oddly satisfying. I close my eyes. He makes me feel so much better and more secure than Lewis ever had. I've definitely made the wrong choice, I think and pray Felix isn't listening in.

"They called me, told me what you found out," he says. "I came over to make sure you were feeling okay. I know it's a lot to deal with."

"I feel like I'm so close to Connor, like his essence is here with me."

"And?"

"I just can't grasp it. It's as if his essence is right there and when I go and grab it- he moves again."

"Oh, Priscilla, we'll find him." Felix brings his arms even tighter around me. Somewhat unaware of myself, I let him pull me into his lap. His chin falls onto the top of my head, his free hand stroking my hair. I smile softly.

"Trisha is going to keep in contact with the Hunters," he says with a little bit of disgust. He hates the Hunters, just as all two natured should. I really don't hate them because I haven't had to deal with them, but I do despise everything they stand for. "She'll find out what she can."

"And we'll search the streets tonight, right?"

"Yes, but we'll have to be careful. Not very many people are used to seeing large wolves roaming the streets at night."

"We should hope not," I laugh. Felix joins in and when he quiets himself, he places his lips on the back of my head. I close my eyes for a tiny minute and when I open them, I cock my head, twisting my body. He smiles and leans down so he can kiss me much easier. His kiss is like water on a hot summers day. It's wonderfully blissful. And, for once, I don't let thoughts of Lewis stop me. I kiss back. I kiss back with as much passion as I can.

Felix pulls away first but I don't mind. He's filled with curiosity. "What's changed since this morning?"

"Nothing," I admit. To be honest to both myself and Felix, I've wanted to be with him long before I wanted to be with Lewis. He's my first choice. He's the one I want. "I'll just have to break some hearts when I get home."

His eyes meet mine. There's a delay silence between us as if everything depends upon this moment. "Are you sure?"

"Of course," I let my hand wander up to his and I lace our fingers together. He bites his lip, trying not to smile. "I want you, Felix."

We don't say anything after that. He just kisses me and holds me for the next several hours. He helps me forget what's happened today and I'm grateful. However temporary this escape may be, I'm thankful that Felix has allowed me to experience it. I'm glad I made my choice.

I'm glad I've made Felix my boyfriend.
♠ ♠ ♠
Late update.
But, I bet I've made all you Team Felix fans happy! ;D