Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

bullets

The now faint line across his forehead had not escaped my thoughts, but is pushed into the dark corners of my mind as he lays me down on the couch in his living room. He mutters that he'll be back in a second, so I lay my head back on the big leather arm of the couch. The room is big, the large couch right in the middle. There's a large flat screen hanging directly on the wall in front of me. There's a few matching chairs spread across the room, but other than that it's pretty much empty in here.

In another moment Felix returns, a tiny briefcase clutched in one hand. He sets it down on the coffee table, undoes the flaps that hold it closed and then opens it, revealing several items. There are syringes, scalpel, several viles of various colored liquids. There's also the basic stuff -band-aids, gauze, medical tape- but I could only focus on the odd instruments. He casually lifts a vile filled with a thick green liquid. He gives me a questioning glance, but I just close my eyes. I'm not sure what he does, but soon I feel his fingers rolling up my shirt. When the bruise is revealed, I feel him spreading the liquid over it. It's cold and feels like jelly, but at the same time, it makes my body tingle with warmth.

"I know it probably doesn't matter, but I'm sorry for Lewis," Felix mumbles. I open one eye to get a look at him. His brown curly hair barely stops above his thick eyebrows. His nose is slightly large, wider and more protruding. For a second I think he may be Jewish, but I don't ask. Regardless, he's still a very attractive boy.

"I really don't know what to say," I sigh. it's the truth. It's not like I'm going to forgive Lewis. Sure, I'd chased after him in a fit of rage, but he had no right to jump out and attack me.

"I know it's hard to believe, but Lewis really is a great guy. He just has temper," he says, his voice kind of trailing off near the end of the sentence. I almost laugh.

"He and his crew have been stalking me for nearly a month now!" I realize that Felix is included in that group, but I feel as if it would be impolite to bring that up. He lifts his hands and wipes them on a towel I hadn't realized was in the first-aid kit. After his hands were clean, he wiped the gunk off of my chest too and I slid my shirt down.

"I know, I know," he sighed. "The liquid I used on you is called Succo di guarigione. It's Italian for healing juice. My mom's one of those scientists that are working on new experimental healing things." I knew he was lying, there was something bigger going on here. I gulp and take a look at his forehead- nothing. Just tan, flawless skin. I almost want to scream. It's so unreal, but in a way, it's like I expected nothing less from Lewis and his crew. They're all buff, big, and built. They're all fast runners and as far as I could tell, they were incredibly fast healers. They are definitely not human, I think. But what else could they be?

"Anyways, your bruise should heal up in three or four days," Felix said, purposely bringing me from my thoughts. I ponder the possibility of him being a mind reader, but I rule it out. If he was, he'd have the information he wanted already.

"Thanks, Felix." He nods as I sit up, his brown eyes focused on the carpet. "Is there something else?"

"Well," he takes a breath and looks away. "It's be amazing if you didn't tell the cops -or anyone- about today."

"Look, I need a drive home," I tell him, completely ignoring what he was trying to get me to do. "But first, we need to stop at the school. My backpack is probably still on the front steps where I dropped it." I don't bother to tell him that my phone is in the bag.

"I think I can do that," he gives a slight nod and we both stand. I'm amazed- whatever that gunk was that he rubbed all over my bruise was really working. It still hurts, but not like it had twenty minutes ago. It's now just a slight twinge of pain, one that's very easy to ignore. I'm about to thank him, but I've done that enough today. Felix leads me out of the house and out to his car, a small blue one that sort of resembles and miniature minivan. After we both strap ourselves in, he pulls out and we're on the road.

The ride to the school only takes about five minutes, all of which are filled with an awkward silence. When we arrive, I get out of the car and grab my bag. I almost check my phone, but I somehow believe that would make matters worse. Instead, I turn my back to the car and send my mom a quick text, telling her I have a ride home. Then I get back in the car and have Felix drive me in the direction of my house. He doesn't even have to ask where I live. He just knows. They all know.

I gently prop my head against the window, watching the scenery as I think. Something about the forest calms me, and yet, after today, terrifies me. I blink hard and try to put my train of though back on track. Should I go to the cops with this? My immediate answer to myself is no. Even if the cops did believe me and arrest Lewis or whatever they'd do, it'd only start something bigger. Still, I could use this I-could-go-to-the-police-at-any-second thing to my advantage and get the answers I want. Like what the hell are these kids? And what exactly does Connor have to do with them?

I sigh as the trees turn into open plains and then I sigh again as the open plains turn into small houses. Felix takes a turn down a gravel road and stops toward the end of the drive. My house is a large, two story house with blue siding and a wrap around porch. The sun isn't quite setting, but it's almost there, but no lights are on in the house. "Here we are," Felix says casually.

"I'll make you a deal," I say abruptly. Felix's head snaps in my direction. I wish I could look into his eyes, see if I'm making the right decision, but I can't. I keep my eyes straight forward, knowing that any eye contact might change my mind. "If you guys leave me alone for the next week, I won't go to the cops."

"Yeah?" Is all he says, like he expects more. Smart boy.

"And I'll tell you what I know about Connor," I whisper. I hear his breath catch in his throat and he keeps waiting. "If you tell me what Lewis and the rest of you are. I know you're not human. Your cut from earlier- it's not even there any more!" Hearing myself say that they're not human out loud... Well, it makes me feel a little crazy. I've always been one to accept the odd, the supernatural. I believe in ghosts and spirits, but do I really believe that they aren't human or am I just spouting out whatever comes to mind? No matter how hard I think about it, I can't come up with an answer.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Priscilla." It's a lie. I can tell from the cracking in his voice.

"I'm not stupid Felix. I know something is off about Lewis's group. Including you. You want information. I want answers. Do we have a deal or not?" I feel so official, dangerous, and important. I almost laugh when I realize how all of this confidence in deal making that I have has come from watching detective shows. I don't get a verbal answer, but out of the corner of my eye I catch Felix nodding. I calmly get out of the car and enter my house. I don't check if he's left yet or anything. All I do is take a moment for my pride to settle in. Today had been quite eventful, but if things were to go the way I want them to, not only will I get my privacy back, I'll get some answers as well.

And knowing that makes me feel pretty damn good.

Image


As soon as I get to my bedroom, I push Felix and the rest of today's events out of my mind. In my opinion, it's best to forget about until the date I set. In the meantime, I finish up my homework, eat dinner with my mother when she finally comes home, and end up watching TV with her for awhile. Around ten, she announces that she's tired from working all day and then she heads to bed. I stay at the couch for awhile and just smile. I love my mother. She's always done her best to support me after my father died. She works her ass off and still makes time for me. She really is an amazing woman.

I smile to myself once more and make my way back up to my room. I change for bed but when I come out of the bathroom, I can hear the soft noise of my phone vibrating against the table. The sound doesn't last long, which means I got the text earlier but didn't open it. When I pick up my phone, there's four text messages. All from the same person.

All from Connor.

My heart practically swells in my chest. Does this mean he's coming home? I nearly squeal with excitement. I flip open my phone and click read. I stare down at the screen, the four simple words listing downward.

Bullets
Running
Leaving
Betrayal


That's all it says. Four words. Four scrambled words that make absolutely no sense to me. Suddenly I'm more worried about Connor than I have been since the night he told me he was leaving. One word worries me most. Bullets. Does he need some? Has he been shot? My teeth chatter and my knees suddenly become wobbly. There's a stirring in my stomach and I feel nauseated. In fact, a little bile raises into my mouth but I push the foul taste back down my throat.

I weakly make my way over to my bed and crawl nude the covers. I squeeze my eyes tight, hoping it will all go away. Hoping that in the morning, I'll have Connor back. Not just Connor, but the Connor I used to know. The one that held me when my father died, the one who stood up for me whenever I got made fun of at school. The Connor who kissed me when I thought no one else ever would. I want Connor back. I want my best friend back.

I cry myself into a restless doze and the only comfort I get is from knowing that no body is outside. No body can see how depressed this boy has made me. But somehow, even that doesn't comfort me. At least with them watching me I know I'm not alone.

But I am. I'm all alone tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Late update.
I plan on updating soon.
I do have a courtdate on friday, so please be patient.
Just wait though, things are about to get good!
Please comment?