Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

fox

The creak from my mother's bed wakes me up. Just tiny creak from when she sits up, but it's like a scream that rings out loud and clear. Before, I would have never heard it all, but this whole sworn in thing is seriously messing with my head. It's Sunday -a day I usually use to hang out with my mother- but I don't feel like it. A few minutes later, however, she comes up to inform me that she has to work anyway. Her face is so kind and gentle, but I can see the worry in her eyes. She knows that I haven't been acting quite right, but she's afraid to talk to me about it. Every freckle on her tanned face stands out to me, but I never noticed them before.

"Are you okay?" She asks, standing up and walking to the door. I must have gotten lost in my thoughts.

"Yeah, fine," I mutter, putting on a fake smile. My eyes are elsewhere but when I breathe in through my nose, I can smell her. She smells faintly of lilac and fabric softener.

"You can always talk to me, Priss," She says with a reassuring smile. I return it, actually with feeling because I know her words are true. I can go to her about anything. I'm not sure if that means talking to her about werewolves, but hey, the sentiment is still there. Once she leaves, I grab my phone from my bedside table. Two new text messages. Both from an unknown number.

You probably have a lot of questions to ask. I'm free today, so we can hang out and talk this over. If you want.

Feeling puzzled, I check the next message:

By the way, this is Felix.

I save the number in my phone and tell him that that'd actually be a great idea. I do have so many questions about this whole thing? Were they born like that? How is it possible? Does it hurt to change? Do pregnant girls turn into pregnant wolves? The last is a dumb question, but by God, I want it answered. He quickly texts back: I'll pick you up at three.

I just sit on my unmade bed for several minutes, not sure of what to do. Would it be wrong to dress up or should I just wear some jeans in a tee shirt? What would he care, anyway? He's a wolf for crying out loud! Sadly, I know exactly why I feel the need to get all fancy. It's for Felix and for the slight attraction I seem to be feeling for him. It didn't just hit me, I've felt this way since he rescued me, but I've been telling myself I'm wrong. It's not like I have fallen for him, but I do think he's cute. That's enough encouragement for me to look fancy.

With a bunch of mental effort, I stand and head to the bathroom where I spend the next hour getting ready. I shower, then dry and straighten my naturally curly brown hair, and then find and outfit for the day. And trust me, that takes awhile. I don't want to look I even care about what I look like, but not look like a slob. I want to impress him, but not over do it. About twenty minutes to three, I'm standing in front of the bathroom mirror, brushing my hair. The jeans I'd chosen were dark and tight. I wear a slim white tee shirt with an obnoxious belt tightened around my waist and a small black half jacket to cover my shoulders. A faint golden eyeshadow has been put on and it brings out my emerald eyes and I apply a light pink lip gloss.

I spend a few more minutes tweaking the outfit, but I feel happy and confident enough in myself that I'm ready to leave when the door bell rang at three o'clock sharp. I find Felix on my front porch dressed as casual as can be. Green and blue plaid button up with that same wife-beater underneath and khaki shorts. His tan legs are hairier than normal guys' legs, but I find it quirky and cute. his curly hair is not brushed but is kept tamed by the flat bill he wears. His brown eyes search mine for a moment. "You ready?" Is all he asks.

I nod and just like that, he takes my tiny wrist in his rough, medium sized hand and starts to pull me to his vehicle- a nice big red truck with four wheel drive for the winter months and the back roads out here. I'm slightly impressed. This is the kind of truck's people's father's would kill to have. He drags me across the yard in a semi-forceful manner but at least he opens the truck door and helps me in. I'm not used to such rushing and force, but my irregular heartbeat is telling me that I can get used to it.

Conversation doesn't take up until we're out of the back roads and on the highway. "Where are we going?"

"Somewhere private," he says and I notice his nose twitches. Like a dog's nose would. I almost can't contain my laughter. If he heard the small snicker I had made before clamping my mouth shut, he gives me no sign of it. "Somewhere we can't be listened in on."

"Listened in on?" I ask curiously. His features soften and so does his face. It seems the farther from home we get, the safer he feels. That or he's just getting more comfortable around me.

"Yeah, we can't just have anyone hear what I'm about to tell you. No humans. No animals. No other two natured outside the clan," he grips the steering wheel tight and mutters the next part of his little speech as if he never wanted it to happen. "You're sworn to us now."

This is true. And because of it, all my senses have been altered. I hear every brush of fabric and he smells strongly of the outside. I wonder if I'll ever get use to this, but I'm afraid of the answer. "Can I at least ask some questions on the way?"

"Some," he says carefully. I nod slowly, trying to form questions. It takes under a minute, but I compile a whole list of things that make me curious.

"First off; are you born two natured or are you bitten?" I feel proud of myself for asking such a good question.

"Both. I was born this way, but some in our tribe have been bitten." He smiles only very slightly. This one question pretty much gets the ball rolling, and I ask them for the next twenty minutes and he either answers them or dodges them. He only dodges a few and I remember to ask them later. So far I've learned that two natured don't have to change on the full moon, but feel most compelled to do so then. Aggression or any other strong negative feeling can make you 'shift.' Also, I learned that there is at least one tribe of two natured in every city throughout the United States. Felix didn't know about other countries. Also, I learned that as far they know, two natured people are the only supernatural race. No vampires, fairies, nymphs. Nothing but werewolves.

We must have been driving for at least an hour when Felix makes a right turn and we drive into a small, out of view parking lot. The establishment has long been shut down, so we pull into the back. I stare straight ahead at the dumpsters. I've asked most of my questions, what more could Felix possibly need me for? Felix takes a few breaths before focusing on the dumpsters as well. "Priscilla, I need information."

"What? I already told Lewis everything I know!" I'm confused and a little hurt but my eyes stay on that tacky green and black dumpster.

"I know, but I need some personal information about Connor," he pauses and looks up. His ears had detected something mine hadn't. He squints as he concentrates on the sound. Finally he decides it's nothing to worry about and continues. "Like his favorite places to go, favorite foods, his family- anything that might give away where our brother is."

Then it hits me. It should have a long time ago. The pack of wolf boys are trying to find Connor because he's just like them. I gasp as I come to my realization. Connor's two natured! "He's like you?!"

Felix turns to look at me and places a curious smile on his face. "Of course. He's been denying our pack for two years until this summer rolled along." Felix seems a little sad, but he just shakes it away. "Look, any information would be terrific!"

"I don't have-" And then I hear it. The sound is closer. Using my newly enhanced hearing, I can tell that the noise is paws on gravel- the same gravel this parking lot is made of. Felix stiffens and breathes in deep through his nose. I do the same, but I all I smell is animal, though I can't tell what kind. Suddenly, he clenches his teeth and growls. My body instinctively turns toward him. His canine teeth are literally extending as I watch and his brown eyes suddenly shape into a more animal form.

"Priscilla, I need you to stay here," he says through his gritted teeth and his panting. He's trying not to change just yet. "Stay in the truck. Don't move, don't call anyone, and don't drive off."

I start looking around frantically, trying to sense what he does. The musky smell of wet fur hits my nose and all I can hear is the movement on the gravel. "What's going on?"

"There's danger out there. I should have known better. I need to lead it away from you- and me. Just wait here, no matter how long it takes. Don't move until I get back. Got it?" His finger clench the steering wheel, his knuckles turning white. I swallow and whimper.

"What's out there, Felix?" I ask. I'm scared as hell but I don't let it stop me from gripping Felix's shoulder and looking into those wolf eyes. He just shakes his head.

"Just don't move until I get back," he growls and gets out of the truck, slamming the door behind him. He immediately starts off running and as he gets farther away, he drops to all fours and the transformation starts at a faster pace than when I first saw it. Even though he's shifting, he keeps running. I close my eyes and hear him howl in the distance.

And the unmistakable yip of a fox.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the late update...
A friend of mine died...
Yeah....
Please enjoy.