Sequel: Let Sleeping Dogs Lie
Status: Soon to be re-written!

Teethmarks and Wolf Pelts

phoenix

"Oh my God, you're alive!" I exclaim as soon as I accept the call. My heart is racing, my head pounding but none of that matters because my best friend in the whole entire world is alive and -presumably- well. Unaware of myself, I start pacing around the room, not even waiting for him to speak. "Where the hell are you, Connor?!"

"Priscilla," he says, his voice like gravel. It sounds as if he lost his voice or is sick. I have a million questions to ask him and this pause is my perfect opportunity to ask, but I keep quiet. The anticipation of what he has to say is worth more than any questions I have. "I'm not coming home."

Silence fills the air. Neither of us disconnected, I just have no idea how to respond. Is it because I know what he is? is it because I'm sworn to the pack now? Shut up, Priscilla, I tell myself. It has nothing to do with you. He's the one you should be worried about. "Why not?" My voice is meek and scared. He doesn't reply for a good minute or so and his silence is scaring me way more than anything he could ever say.

"I'm not sure I'll be alive long enough to make it back," he admits. I drop to my knees in and instant and cover my mouth with my free hand. I cry then, letting all the tears of the past few days finally escape me. It wasn't even what he makes me want to cry but it was definitely the trigger. I cry because I'm scared of what he truly is. I cry because I'm worried about Felix. I cry because nothing I believe in is real. And finally, I cry because Connor might not come back to me. "Priss, don't cry."

"It's hard not too," I sob. I love this boy like my brother, I have no idea what I'd do without him. I remember two summers ago when we both promised each other that we'd never die before we left for college and parted ways. It was a stupid promise but it's importance was now rising. He can't die. He just can't. "Where are you, Connor? I'll com get you!"

It was a long shot, but I'd drive for days if I have to. I'd go pick him up and fix whatever problem he's created for himself. I'd bring him home and even though things might be a little different with me knowing his secrets, we'd live on to be happy with each other. "Doubtful," he mutters. "I'm in Phoenix. By the time you got here, I might not even be around."

"Connor, you're scaring me. What's going on?"

"I love you, Priscilla," he says. Even over the phone I can tell he means it in a friendly way and it breaks my heart. His voice has grown a lot quitter and even more rough. I wait for whatever else he has to say. "I'm sorry I couldn't keep our promise."

I start crying harder than before, my sobbing as loud as can be. He remembers, is all I can think. "I love you too, Connor." I sniffle and smile at the words. He may be convinced he's as good as dead but I'll find some way to save him. I'll get Lewis to go down there and save him. I may not know exactly where in Phoenix but I'm sure he could sniff him out.

"Please, please don't-"

And just like that the call is ended. I scrambled and hit the call back number but all I got was the operator telling me that his number had been disconnected. Maybe he'd dropped his cell phone and accidentally got smashed in the process. As much as I want that to be true, I know that something far worse must have happened. Without thinking I wipe my eyes, grab my jacket and race down the stairs. I'm nearly to the front door when my mother's voice stops me.

"Is that you, Priss?" She asks as she makes her way from the living room to where I stand now. "Where do you think you're going?" She crosses her arms, but it's more of a curious gesture rather than a I'm-the-boss-of-you sort of gesture.

"Out. I, uh, it's just really important. Can I please go?" I grip the banister until my knuckles turn white.

"No! It's," my mother looks behind her at the clock on the wall. "Ten-thirty at night! What is possibly so important that you have to go out this late? You've got school in the morning, you know."

"I know, I just need to-" She looks me in the eyes.

"Have you been crying?" She leans in a little so she can see. "Priscilla Jane Plight, you tell me what's going on with you. Right now." I know she's only worried about me but this isn't something I can deal with right now. Connor needs me but there is no possible way I can explain it to my mother. I sigh.

"Nothings going on, I think I just need some rest," I nod fast, turning around and heading back up the stairs. Before she can say another word, I add, "Goodnight!" I race back up the stairs and slam my door. I sit on the edge of my bed and bite my nails. I need some way out. I could always try my window, but the drop is at least 10 feet or more. Even if I did get out, how could I contact Lewis? I have Felix's number, but I'm not sure if texting him would be a great idea just in case he wasn't fully healed yet.

Then I looked down at my hands. The skin on my palms was flawless, but the memory of Lewis slicing it open was still fresh. He was the one who had sworn me into the pack, and his spit was inside me. Does that make him part of me? Felix had told me that they could hear and project their thoughts to other pack members and if they chose, they'd let me hear them too. But did that mean I was capable of projecting my thoughts to them too?

"It's worth a shot," I whisper and close my eyes. I take a deep breath and begin to picture Lewis in my mind. Tall, muscular build. The blond hair, the blue eyes- the cocky grin. It only takes a moment but there he is, his image the only thing I can concentrate on. Then, I imagine him opening his mind up to me, imagine him ready to listen to whatever I can. Lewis, I need you. I have information you might want, I think to the image in my brain. Not even a second later, there's a second voice in my head. A lower, more manly voice- Lewis.

Meet me at the bluff, he projects back to me. I gulp, trying not to scream. Things are just getting weirder and weirder every day and I'm still not use to it. I clench my eyes shut for a moment and gather all my confidence.

Not even a minute later, I open my window and drop to the ground below me. The impact stings my feet but the effect quickly fades. Whether it's because of Lewis's spit or because my determination allows no room for pain, I'll never know. I take off running as fast and as hard as I can. I don't slow down and I'm surprised at my speed and stamina. I reach the bluff in three minutes or so and did not even get tired once. When I walk into the clearing, Lewis is there. He's shirtless so I can see every muscle on his very defined chest and all he does wear is a pair of tight basketball shorts.

I'm not sure what comes over me but the sight of him is so comforting that I run forward to him and when we finally meet he takes me into his arms. He wraps them around me, rubbing my back and swaying slightly. His arms are so warm and safe that it makes me forget about the pain he caused me. It makes m even consider forgiving that whole ordeal. He lets me set my chin on his shoulder and he just wraps his arms tight around me. "Shh," he whispers.

"I can't," I sniffle, wrapping my own arms around his neck. His skin was so warm it made my own skin tingle. I close my eyes and whisper. "Connor called me. I know where he is." I can feel Lewis stiffen and his rubbing stops for a second or two. He then lets out a breath, starts rubbing my back again, and then speaks.

"Where?"

I whimper softly into his shoulder, knowing that as soon as I tell him the embrace will end. His arms are the only thing making me feel as if everything could be okay. Sadly, the only way to actually make everything okay is to tell him. I hug a little tighter and breathe in his scent. Pine. "Phoenix. He's in Phoenix."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for this short, sloppy chapter.
It was just so damn hard to write the phone call.
I plan on eventually going back and editing it, but not for awhile.
Yay or nay on a layout change?
Subscribe and comment!