Long Way

Chapter Nine

It had been about a week since I made my discovery about the guy doing the break-in's, and there still hadn't been much progress in the case. In fact, it has actually quieted down a lot. There haven't been any new break-in's, and it really doesn't seem like Martin is that worried about it anymore, which I know that can't be true. Something like this doesn't just stop happening for no good reason.

I laid in bed next to Declan who was still sleeping, and decided I should get up before work and do a load of laundry. I got dressed in a pair of oversized gray sweats, and rolled the waistband down, then put my bra on. I was in the process of putting on a t-shirt when my cell phone started ringing. I rushed to answer it before it woke Declan up.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey it's me. Come answer your door before Princess attacks me," Sharon tells me. I walked out of the bedroom and looked out my back door to find her sitting in her car in the driveway. I hung up the phone and unlocked the door.

Sharon walked up the front steps. She looked like she was coming from work.

"Hi," I said.

"Hi yourself. Do you always answer the door half naked?" I looked down at myself and realized I was only wearing a bra.

"I was doing laundry." She nodded as if this made sense.

"I always participate in the timeless ritual of doing laundry wearing only my underwear." I laughed and shut the door.

"Where is everyone?" she asked.

"Declan is still sleeping, and Princess Willa is in there with him."

"Daddies girl."

"Tell me about it." I picked up my laundry basket and hauled it down to my basement with Sharon following along behind me.

Rather than sorting my laundry, I just dumped the whole basket into the washing machine and tossed some soap in, then turned it on. Sharon shook her head at me. I knew that if my mother was here she would do the same thing.

"Late night at work?" I asked her.

"Yeah. I had to stay late and do inventory and clean up after the chick that worked this weekend."

"Oh yeah, I think I met her. Little brunette?"

"Yeah, she told me about you and Declan being in there."

"Oh... You heard about that, huh?"

"I hear everything that goes on in that bar, Diana."

"He really didn't mean to start anything. He didn't even start this."

"I know, I heard all about it. Don't worry, I'm not mad at you. I just wish Declan could keep his fists in his pocket's, and not in the faces of my customers. But, I'm not mad about this time."

We walked back upstairs. Sharon went into the living room and sat on the couch, and I went into the kitchen.

"Coffee?" I asked her.

"Sure." I opened the lid of my can of Folgers and saw that it was empty. Shit. I searched the cupboards and found no more coffee. I finally opened up my fridge and found a bottle of iced coffee. I took it out and poured it into two mugs, then popped them in the microwave. Two minutes later the microwave beeped and I took out the two mugs and smelled them. The bottle said vanilla, so I don't bother putting any cream or sugar in them.

I went into the living room and handed Sharon her mug, and she stared at it reluctantly.

"Instant coffee?"

"Iced. It's all I had." She grimaced and took a careful sip.

"I don't know how you live by yourself."

"I don't."

"Hmm."

I set my coffee down on the side table next to the chaise, and walked back to the kitchen to look for some kind of breakfast item.

Declan came out of the bedroom with just a pair of black running shorts on. His hair was ruffled and sticking out everywhere.

"Hey, Shar," he said to Sharon. His voice dripping with a very flirty edge.

"Good morning, Declan." He ignored her and headed straight over to me.

"Hey," he said to me.

"Hi." He wrapped his arms around me and slid his hands down the back of my sweatpants, and gave me a kiss.

I pushed my hands against his chest. I could feel my face was flushed from the kiss.

"Morning," he said.

"Morning. I was just looking for some breakfast."

"I'm gonna take a shower. Feel free to join me."

"We have company." He cast a glance towards Sharon, who was staring out the window at the front of the house.

"She won't miss us."

"She won't miss you, that's for sure." he grinned and walked around me to the bathroom.

I went into the kitchen and retrieved two packages of funfetti Pop Tarts and took them in to Sharon.

"You eat this?" she asked me, perplexed.

"Yeah."

"No wonder you're so fucking skinny. You can't possibly like this stuff." I shrugged and took a sip of the coffee, and wrinkled my nose at it. Yuck.

"Skinny bitch," she said, laughing. I laughed too and opened up the Pop Tart.

"So how are things going with that one?" she asked, gesturing with her glass at the bathroom door.

"They're fine."

"Are you officially back together?"

"I guess. There was no signed contract or anything."

"Smart ass." I laughed.

"Does he say anything about staying or leaving again?"

"No, and I don't expect him too."

"Why?"

"Because he never does. He told me once that he wants it to work out this time, but that's it," I paused. "I don't know."

"What about you?"

"Of course I want him to stay. I want everything that we talked about when we were teenagers, but a lot of things have to change first."

"What does he say?"

"About what?"

"Anything."

"He just keeps saying that he needs to make some money."

"For what?"

"For Mo, I'm assuming. To pay off that debt of his to Jack Belsi's goons."

"They come around ever again?"

"No."

"Well thank God for that." I nodded. She yawned.

"Tired?" I asked her.

"Very. I should get going now. I would thank you for the coffee and snacks, but let's face it, they sucked." I laughed. "So, thanks for nothing."

I hugged her and walked her to the door.

"Tell Declan I said goodbye."

"I will. I'll talk to you later."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye." I shut the door behind her and went into my room to get dressed for work.

When I walked in, I saw Declan there, pulling a t-shirt on over his long-sleeved shirt.

"Sharon said bye," I told him.

"She hate me?"

"No." He pulled his button down mechanic's shirt on jacket style and sat on the edge of the bed to tie his boots. I put on a pair of black dress pants and a red button up shirt. I left my hair down and naturally wavy. I slipped into a pair of leopard print peep-toes and turned around to find Declan staring at me.

"What? Do I look OK?" I asked him, looking down at myself. He stood up and came over to me.

"Too good for me." I rolled my eyes and swatted him on the chest, then started to walk away, but he grabbed me around my arms and pulled me back.

"D," I said to him. "I have to go finish getting ready, I'm gonna be late." He kissed my forehead and let me go.

"Have a good day," he told me.

"You too. I'll see you tonight, right? We're supposed to go over to my parent's and watch the game."

"Yeah, I'll see you." He walked out of the room and heard him grab his keys off the counter and walk out the back door. A few seconds later I heard his truck start, and back out of the driveway.

While I was in the bathroom putting my make-up on, I thought about how strange everything was with him and I lately. I always asked him in the morning's if I was going to see him that night, like I wasn't sure if he was just going to take off or something. When Declan takes off, it's usually in the middle of the night, and I probably wouldn't have heard from him for a few hours or something because we had been in a fight. Declan always tries to start a fight before he leaves. I don't know if it makes him feel better or what.

I guessed this was just the result of being hurt so often and in the same way by him. Yesterday we were joking around while we were laying in bed about other people that we had been with. I've still never told him about Martin. As far as he knows the only guys I've ever been with were him and Troy Cambias a couple years back. I know that he's been with a lot of other girls over the years, even while we've been together. I know that he's cheated on me, even though he's never told me. Most of those times though, we weren't actually together, so I've just written it off. Just like pretty much everything else Declan's done over the years.

I just feel like I'm walking on eggshells this time around, and one day I'm gonna break though. I'm not sure what I'll find when I do though, and I'm anxious that it's going to happen sooner than later.

I swiped on some red lipstick and looked at myself in the mirror. I had dark circles under my eyes that couldn't be covered up. They didn't look too bad today, but I'm sure the stress with Declan and the break-in's isn't helping.

I went out to my car and drove off to work, clocking in at 7:30. When I stepped of the elevator, everything was strange.

For the last few months since the break-in's, people have just been minding their own business. Like I said that I do with Declan, they've been walking on eggshells. No one wants to do anything to draw attention to themselves or look suspicious. But today, they're buzzing. Guys are walking to and from offices, in and out of the control room, the door to the first conference room is shut so I know that there is some kind of meeting going on. I walked down the corridor to my office and left the door open, hoping to catch some kind of idea as to what's going on.

I picked up my phone and dialed Martin's extension, but he didn't answer. Probably in the meeting.

I get on my computer and click on the police database program, and look to see if there was another break-in lastnight or something. When I find nothing, I decide to get to work on the stack of papers that are on my desk that I'm sure will take up my whole day.

At about four o' clock, an hour before I'm set to leave, Martin walks into my office. He eyed me, his eyes stopping on my red lips, then he sat down on the edge of my desk next to my chair.

"Hey, where have you been all day?" I asked him.

"Busy. How was your day?" I shrugged.

"Busy. What's up?"

"I just wanted to come in here and tell you, that some things have come to the surface about the break-in's."

"What kind of things? Did you find out who the guy was? Was it someone from here?" He shook his head at me.

"I've handed everything that we know over to the police, and they're going to be taking action very soon."

"What do you mean everything we know? What do we know?"

"Information that we've collected since your revelation at the insurance company a week ago."

"What information? I wasn't made aware of anything."

"That's why at this point I am officially taking you off of this case. I don't want you to worry about it any more than you have. I want you to go back to your regular work, and I thank you very much for all of your time, and help during all of this. We couldn't have done it without you." My head is spinning all around what he's just said to me.

"What do you mean, you're taking me off of this case? I don't understand. Are the break-in's over?"

"They will be very soon. All of our properties are being surveyed, and I don't expect any trouble before the police take action."

"What kind of action?"

"Arrests, mostly. After that it's in a judge's hands."

"What information are you talking about? We didn't find out anything more."

"I had other people working on it for me."

"What?"

"I unofficially took you off of the case after I found out what I did."

"What did you find out?"

"I can't tell you anymore. It's a dangerous situation until these people are behind bars. You'll find out along with everyone else, very soon."

"What do you mean it's dangerous?" He looked down at the floor.

"Just be careful, OK?"

"Of what, Martin?"

"Just be careful."

"How am I supposed to be careful when you won't tell me what of? If you can't tell, I'm a little pissed off right now." My voice is raised at this point, just under the point of yelling. My whole chair is turned completely towards him.

"I'm sorry that you feel out of the loop, but I had to keep it this way to protect my clients and employee's, including you."

"Protect me?! From what? You won't even tell me."

"It's police business now. You have to except that."

"I can't believe you. After all this time that I've put into this, you're just going to sit here and act like this is nothing? I got you all the info, and did all the dirty work, and now someone else gets to swoop in and take all the credit while I get left in the dark. And it's all to protect me? I don't fucking buy that!"

"I'm sorry that you feel that way."

"Fuck you, I'm leaving early."

"As you wish."

"Yeah, I do fucking wish!" I yelled, and grabbed up my purse and stalked out of the office.

I was smoking mad. My face was probably the same color red as my shirt. The men were all staring at me. They probably heard me yelling. Oh well. Think it's the first time I've had people look at me like I was crazy?

On my way home my dad called me. Probably wanting to check in to make sure we were still on for tonight.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Nothing, just leaving work."

"You don't sound too happy."

"No, it's been a really shitty day. Can we take a rain check on tonight? I'm just not in the mood to socialize."

"You sure? There's a brand new bottle of Limoncello here with our names on it."

"No, I'm just no fun tonight. Maybe next week sometime."

"Okay, darlin'. I'll let you drive then."

"Okay. Sorry."

"No problem."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye." I hung up just as I pulled into my driveway. I stomped into the house. Declan wasn't home yet. I needed a drink. My dad's bottle of Limoncello sounded wonderful, but I just didn't want to deal with people in order to get it. The old bottle of Jameson in the cupboard above my fridge would have to do.

I got a chair and stood up on it because I was too short to reach it on my own, then got down and poured myself a shot. Leaving the chair right where it was.

I unbuttoned the top button of my blouse and drank my first shot, already starting to relax. Willa was looking at me like the guys at work did. I never came home and acted like this.

I poured myself another shot and was about to take a sip of it when someone rang the doorbell at the front of the house. Odd since no one that actually knows me uses that door.

I walked to the front of the house and answered the door. Some guy that I didn't know was standing there. He was big, tall like Declan, with dark eyes, hair, and skin.

"May I help you?" I asked him.

"Where's your boyfriend?"

"Who?"

"DeSoto. Where is he?"

"You have the wrong house."

"Don't fuck with me. We know he's been living here, now where is he?"

"I don't know. And you know what? Don't fuck with me! I have had a shitty day, and I don't want to be dealing with you! All I want is to have a few drinks, by myself. So leave!" He looked a little taken back by me standing up to him. He probably wasn't used to it. He was probably used to being able to push around these guys girlfriends and get away with it because he was big and scary. Not today, Hondo.

I slammed the door in his face and locked it, then walked to the back door and locked it too. Then I went into my extra bedroom and watched out the window to make sure he left.

Once I was sure that he was gone, I went back to drinking.

I took off my shoes and my dress pants, and unbuttoned another button on my shirt, then plopped down on the couch with my glass and the bottle of Jameson.

Martin's revelation to me caught me totally off guard and really pissed me off. No matter what ever has happened between us, we have always been able to work together professionally as equals. And now he has made me feel completely used.

Declan comes home a little while later. I hear him move the chair in the kitchen, then he walked into the living room slowly,

"D?" he said to me.

"Hey baby."

"Are you okay?"

"Belsi's guy was here looking for you. At least I think that's who it was, I could be wrong though." I laughed. "Knowing you, I could definitely be wrong."

"When was he here?"

"When I got home from work."

"What did he say?"

"He just wanted to know where you were. I yelled at him because I had a bad day, and he left."

"Why did you have a bad day?"

"Martin Petracelli is a douchebag and a half."

"Tell me something I don't already know." I do a kind of half smile, half laugh thing. I'm drunk, I really can't help my facial expressions.

Declan took the bottle of booze from me and took a sip, then twisted the cap back on it and took care of it.

"I wasn't done with that," I told him.

"Yeah you are. How do you expect to go to your parent's place tonight like this?"

"I already talked to my dad and canceled."

"I see." I nodded.

"You wanna hear my news?" he asked.

"Yes."

"I got the money for Belsi's guys to pay off Mo's debt. That's probably why that guy came here today. To collect from me, but you intercepted him."

"That's good. You need to get it to them, so Mo can move back to his place."

"I will."

"When?"

"Tonight. They won't come here and bother you anymore."

"Good. I don't like it when people bother me when I'm pouting." He laughed.

"Am I bothering you?"

"No. You're beautiful."

"I think it's time for an early bedtime."

"Oh rats." He reached down and picked me up easily, and carried me off to the bedroom.

He set me down on the bed and finished unbuttoning my shirt. I took my own bra off then laid back on the bed topless, and grabbed the sheet.

"I don't know why Troy Cambias ever wanted you. You disgust me, you little lush."

"Probably the same reason you wanted that slut Tonya Goober," I said, putting extra emphasis on Goober. I pulled the sheet up over my head as I said it. He pulled the sheet down and looked at me. He looked like he was thinking.

"Tonya Hoober. She was never a slut."

"Yes she was."

"No she wasn't."

"Yes she was." I felt a little childish, but I felt that I deserved to be. He laughed at me, and bent over and kissed me.

"She doesn't matter. She never did."

"Hmm."

"Have I ever told you that I love you?"

"No."

"I do."

"Still?"

"Always."
♠ ♠ ♠
Overall, for being so busy since I updated last, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. I didn't think about it very much at all. It just came out. Enjoy. The next chapter is gonna be drama-ful!!
Comments are love!