The Night When They Arose

Montana

One sunny day of March, I kissed my mom good bye. It was about time I flew the coop, after all my father waited for me in Montana. My mom had just been remarried to a high class architect. I admired his architecture, but I didn’t really mind the way he treated me. He would never be more than a step-father to me

My mother hugged me she didn’t want me to go she had wanted me to bond with Harold. “Please don’t leave, stay and bond with your step-father.” She knew I was fleeing from him.

I rolled my eyes “Mom I really want to see Dad— and the farm.” I looked at Harold he came closer for a hug. We were still uncomfortable. He still didn’t understand how my emotions were when we spoke. “I’ll see you later Harry— I guess.” He gave me one arm hug.

He smiled “Yes, I will be looking forward to our next meeting.” Then remembrance hit him. “Harold you mean,” he corrected.

My mother looked at him, and shook her head. “Alice, please don’t go.”

I nodded “It’s ok Mom.” Harold had just hurt my feelings a few nights ago, and I still felt hurt. That was why I had to escape to my Dad’s ranch in Montana, I didn’t want to keep feeling insulted. He was a good guy, he just didn’t understand me.

I stepped on to the loading plat form, and waved good-bye to my mom, and Harold, most of all my beloved New Jersey. I took my seat at the window. The plane took off; after my ears popped I fell asleep. The plane started to descend, I woke up. The sun shone brightly through the window. I had left at eight, and now it was noon. Finally the plane touched down.

Home my Montana. I would soon be in my Dads arms. I could see him waving from afar.

He jumped up and down and then he ran to me “Alice my girl! Jeez you got big, how long has it been? — How is Anna?” he squeezed me tightly.

I was happy to see him too “Hi Daddy. Mom is fine—” I pondered for a moment trying to remember the last time I saw him. “I know I got big after all— it’s been two years.” I hugged him back. I missed him a lot.

He led me to his truck; it was a new truck to me. I had never seen it before. He grabbed my bags and threw them into the box.
I looked at the big truck “Big— really big Dad.”

He shrugged “Well wait until you see the car I got you.” He walked around to his side “Hop in, what you nervous?” My Dad was a professional bull rider. His saying was “The bigger the better” it always worked for him.

I shook my head “No—” I tried to realize that he had bought me a car.

“You got me a car!” I was going to school here in the little town of Custer the school was far away from the ranch, I was planning to ride horse back like the other kids. No, my dad just had to make it complicated.

I opened the door and hopped in. After I buckled my seat belt, he started the monster. “So what kind of car is it Dad?” I looked at him. He was watching the traffic.

He sighed “Well, — it’s your favourite.”

I looked out my window. I was disappointed; the car was a Chrysler 300. “Daddy— why would you do that for me?”

He shrugged “Well if you’re going to school in Custer. I want you to drive somthin’ that will suit you, not some damn horse.” He was right, and the horse wouldn’t get as good mileage as a car would.

I looked out window; we were on the highway leading to Custer. We passed a few other ranches on the way, but none of them could stand up to our ranch. I had forgotten how long the ride was “Dad how much—”.

He interrupted me “Just around this corner,” he pulled the truck around a sharp turn. He continued “And here we are Al. There it is.” He pointed to the big burlap sack that was protecting the car.

I hopped out and ran to my car. I peeled off the burlap; it was my favourite color, red. “Wow, Dad thanks!” I couldn’t stop myself from screaming. I turned around he was smiling.

He pointed to the barn. “Glad you like it Al. Take a look in the barn I bet you’ll like it better.”

I turned to the barn. “Okay, whatever you say Dad. What did my little baby grow up to be pretty?”

He pointed “Go see for yourself girl.”

I rolled my eyes “Ok! I will— don’t get your panties tied up in a knot!” I walked up to the barn. I grabbed the lock, it wouldn’t budge. “Daddy, help please!”

He chuckled. “Feeble child.” He got it open.

I walked through the main isle. I was searching for my beloved mare. “Bay Berry!” A whinny came from a stall. I ran to the stall. “Baby girl! Oh girl I miss you!” She stuck her muzzle out the panel. I put my hand on her soft velvety nose. She tried to nibble. “Did you miss me too? I guess so.”

My dad came up behind me “You can go for a ride when you finish packing. Scoot!”

I ran to the truck to get my bags. I thought to myself, Calm down you’ve ridden before, not a big deal Alice. It was a big deal though; I hadn’t been riding in soo long.

I ran up to my room, the door was open. It was still the same as it was my whole life. Mauve coloured walls and magenta curtains. I threw my hockey bag on the floor. I grabbed my clothes and shoved them into my closet. I hung my toiletries and robe on the hook that was on the door. Then I ran down stairs to the fridge, all good horses deserve an apple. I was in the fruit crisper.

“Hey kiddo!” It was my brother.

I jumped when he shouted. My head hit the top. “Oww. Hey Travis, how are you?” I said still looking into the fridge. “Hey where are the apples?”

He laughed “I’m real good kid; sorry I didn’t mean to scare you. They are on the table, you blind?”

I turned out of the fridge. “No I’m not blind, but I think the sun will do it for me.”

He shrugged. “Well that’s a first. Come here!”

I walked up to him. “Gimme an apple Travis!”

He had me in a death grip. “Nope, I missed you too much.”

I tried to push myself away from him. “Can’t— Breathe!” That worked he released me, and before he could get me again I grabbed an apple. “Ha ha sucker!” I ran out of the house, and straight into my dad.

He had a puzzled look on his face. “Now who is a sucker?”

I giggled, and pointed to Travis’ direction. “He is!”

He nodded. “Oh well. Come and meet the stable boy he’ll help you saddle up, —” His eyes scanned me. “Maybe not.”

I laughed. “Maybe not is right Dad, after all, I am bigger.”

“Alright then, be back before umm—” He looked at his watch.
“Before....four, that give you an hour.”

I nodded, and bolted for the barn. “Ok dad thanks, I will!” I replied back over my shoulder. Gladly the door was open. I ran right in, I hit something with a thud. I looked up. He was there, I assumed he was the stable boy but no stable boy should look like that. “Oh, sorry.” I looked down, his hand was balled up. I left as quickly as I could without tripping over my feet. He was too gorgeous to bear.

He grunted in response. “Watch were you’re going— next time — I won’t be so nice.”

I ran straight to Bay Berry’s stall. She smelt my hand. “Do you want this?” I opened up my hand she grabbed it. In the second I had exposed the apple it was gone. “I thought so, come on let’s get you saddled up.” I took her around to the tack room. He was there.

He shook his head, while sweeping. “She’s wild. Apparently the only person that can ‘tame’ her is Alice O’Brian.” He threw his head back, a dark laugh came along.

I rolled my eyes. “Well fancy that, because I am Alice O’Brian!”

He looked at me up and down; I have never felt more judged in my life.

“Oh, never heard that one before.” He left and mined his own business.

Like what would have he heard? That I was brunette, like my dad, and brother? Or that I was short, instead of 5’7”. I couldn’t wait for school.