The Night When They Arose

Absentness

While in my sleep I made the decision to leave Lance alone. If he quit his job, just because of me, I would leave him be.

I had a horrible nightmare, or at least it was a nightmare. I was searching the whole time even though I knew what I was looking for, I could never find it, or him . I searched endlessly and was always coming up empty handed.

Miserable and depressed, I drove to school; the car still reeked of new car, so I hit the small automotive shop on the way, and picked up a citrus car freshener.

I slammed the door way too hard and ran up the steps.

“Hey Alice,” Blake shouted. I didn’t turn to acknowledge him, I just wanted to be alone, so then I could find Lance. Blake had other plans. “Hey, are you alright?”

I looked up at him. “I’m not feeling a hundred percent today Blake. I don’t want to put you into my mood either.”

“Oh, I guess I’ll catch you later then.”

I smiled timidly and rushed off again to my first class. Trigonometry was as boring as usual, but rushed by quickly. When I got to Mr. Sykes’ class, he had started to read a poem aloud. Mr. Sykes just read poems the whole time. I could have fallen asleep if I wasn’t so tense about seeing Lance. Spanish like Trig also went by in a blur.

During lunch no one talked to me and I spoke to know one. In gym I was more clumsy than usual. Eventually Ms. Sekelsky pulled me out and made me sit on the bench. I took the advantage of sitting out to prepare to see Lance again. I was dismissed earlier than everyone else, and then I ran slyly to Mr. Simon’s class.

When Lance came in I was totally caught off guard ― like usual. My breath stopped when he glared furtively at me. What was wrong with him today? What was wrong with me ? I shouldn’t be feeling this way about him. I should be giving him the cold shoulder as he was giving me.

We both gave each other the cold shoulder. The bell rang and I waited for everyone to leave before I even got up. Apparently Lance had the same thing on his mind.

I gave him a cold hard glance. I shook out my hair, and then, and then a snarl came from beside me. I turned to the direction the sound came from. Was it really Lance? His eyes were cold, black even, and his hands were gripping the table. My breathing stopped immediately, and then I found myself gripping the table as well.

He got up and then I couldn’t even see him leave. Something was wrong. I got up leaving my things behind me.

“Stay away,” a distant voice hissed at me. I was so compelled by the sound, I continued on. “Alice turn around I don’t want to hurt you.” The voice got more distant. A door opened and closed. The school was now empty, except for me, and what I assumed was Lance.

I ran out the double doors out side; it was raining slightly. A hiss was followed by the slam of the doors. “Lance?” I could barely hear myself. I was scared enough that my teeth were chattering, and the hair on my neck and arms were standing straight up. But I pushed myself farther.

The hissing got farther, but louder as I continued to chase after it. And then after chasing after the sound for five more minutes, the hissing stopped all together and then I knew I was truly alone.

I almost couldn’t find my way back to my car. I slammed the car into reverse and started driving home.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed this chapter... It kinda gave me goose bumbs writing it!