Status: COMPLETED!

I'd End My Days With You In A Hail Of Bullets...

We Keep Moving Forward

Image
Image

~Frank’s Point Of View~
“Noooo!!!” I screamed when I saw the hail of gunfire surround my best friends. Their bodies dropped on top of each other in their embrace. They’re dead. Tears stung my eyes and they blurred my vision when I ran to the gates of the military base.
“We’re fucking on your side!” I yelled at the uniformed soldiers that shot at my friends, their weapons were still up and ready to shoot, I didn’t care anymore if they shot me, they killed my friends, I wouldn’t have minded if I died right then and there. I could hear Mikey sobbing and yelling behind me, I turned around and saw him hugging Gerard’s and Kira’s lifeless bodies tightly. I was now fully sobbing, running my hands through my hair, wanting to pull out my hair. I was in agony.
“Where the fuck is General and Doctor Cooper?!” I suddenly remembered we were there looking for Kira’s parents. “One of you fucks is going to tell them that you shot their daughter. Her name was Kira Leeann Cooper!” The soldiers glanced at one another before one of them ran inside the building.
“We were helping you fuckers and you go and shoot the bravest fucking people I know!” I got all I could out of my system in terms of anger and dropped to my knees next to Gerard and Kira’s bodies. Ray looked solemnly down at a blood covered Gerard and Kira, trying to comfort Mikey next to him. Kira’ sweet usually perfect face was now covered in blood, her blood soaked hair sticking to her face. I moved the hair that covered her face and caressed her cheek with my thumb, smearing some blood in the process.
“Sweet Tragedy.” Was all I said in addition to the silent crying for our friends.
“Kira?....” a female’s voice cracked
I turned around and saw a rush of bodies surround us and our friends that lay on the ground.
“Get them inside!” I heard a strong male voice yell.
We were escorted into the base; my friends were taken to another part of the building. We were taken to a secluded room where armed soldiers guarded the only way in and out.
“Some fucking way to feel welcome.” I commented trying to break the ice. Mikey was still sniffling in a corner of the room and Ray had his head in his hands as he sat in another corner. The family we had saved was huddled in the middle of the room. Before long I could hear heavy boots shuffling outside our door and the big man from earlier came in. He didn’t say anything for a while and had an unwavering expression on his face, but I could see in his eyes held a certain sadness and depression in them.
“You’re General Cooper aren’t you?” I asked, not in the least intimidated or afraid of the man. He sighed and rubbed his face with his hands. “I hope you’re proud.” I said through clench teeth. I didn’t want to see this man’s face, he never came to look for his daughter and he ordered his men to fire at us; It was his fault.
“You know she did everything she could to keep us alive and safe, she lead us to safety and even helped save a family that was stranded and another group of people that needed help and shelter. One of those girls she helped save was in a coma but she saved her. And just now she was trying to help not only us but you all too! We were killing off the zombies and the rebels who wanted to get inside, but you ordered your men to shoot at us! She ran to the front and yelled for you to call off your men but she was ignored! You ordered your men to shoot at a teenage girl! You ordered your men to shoot your daughter!!!” I couldn’t help but yell at him, I was so fucking pissed at him and I couldn’t hold it back for him; he couldn’t hold back for his daughter and my best friends.
“You killed two of the greatest people I know, you killed Kira; the strongest, bravest girl I know. The guy lying next to her dead, they were in love, they died together.” Tears came out of my eyes. “His name was Gerard; he was our best friend, Mikey’s brother, and the love of Kira’s life.” General Cooper picked up his head and sighed.
“I’m truly sorry for your loss… We can offer you shelter here, food and water-“
“No. we won’t be staying. We will come back and bring back whatever strays and survivors we can. I think we owe it to Gerard and Kira to finish what they started.”
“Then we won’t keep you here, but you are welcome back anytime you want, take the supplies and ammunition you need. We are going to be rebuilding our society as soon as all of the infected and the dead bodies are cleared.” I just nodded and he walked out and we followed behind, he led us to our room for the night.
We couldn’t sleep, not with the thought that our best friends wouldn’t be by our sides anymore, they wouldn’t be there to lead us anymore. I kept tossing and turning, seeing Kira’s face behind my closed eyes, if I kept them closed long enough I could see her die over and over again behind my lids. I was ready to rip my hair out when morning came and a knock came to our door.
“Dr. Cooper? Wha-.”
“I’m sorry if I woke you Frank.” She cut me off, her usually clean and kempt hair messy and dirty, her eyes red and puffy, and her lips dry; other than her messy appearance she was a spitting image of Kira. The same brown hair, the same honey colored eyes. When I didn’t say anything back she shifted nervously.
“I just wanted to thank you for bringing Kira to me, thank you for being her friend.”
“She wanted to look for you; she wanted to know if you were alive or dead. She did this on her own.”
“Well either way, thank you. I’m sorry for being a bitch to you before, especially for judging you and not getting to know or realize how sweet and caring you are. I’m also sorry for not letting Kira be with you on the day your little sister died.” I pursed my lips thinking back to the time when my little sister was alive. I then remembered the way she died.
~Flashback~
“K..Kira?”
“Frankie what’s wrong?”
“It’s Ellie…she …she died.”
“Oh my God Frankie…. What happened?”
“She was murdered, someone wasn’t seeing where they were going and ran over with their car, they didn’t even stop, they just kept going. The police called it a Hit-and Run accident.” I was sobbing uncontrollably over the phone.
“Oh my God, I’m so sorry Frankie… I’m going to try and come over okay? Is Gerard and Mikey with you?”
“They’re on the way over here.”
“Okay here, hang on I’m going to ask if I can come over.” I waited for a little while before Kira came back on the phone this time I could hear that she was crying too.
“I’m so sorry Frankie but General Cooper won’t let me come over… I’m so sorry, hug mom and dad for me okay? I’ll talk to you soon.”
She never thought of her parents as her parents, she called my parents mom and dad. I remember her telling me that she wished that General and Dr. Cooper were more like my family, that my parents were a real mom and dad. My family kind of adopted her since she was home alone most of the time. She was robbed of her childhood because of her parents so whenever she came over she said she felt like an actual kid, like all the weight her parents put on her fell away. We always saw a side of her that was totally different from the way she acted with the General and Doctor. She was carefree and happy, but strong and confident. I loved her ever since we were kids.
~Flashback Ends~
“She was murdered, and yeah, you didn’t have to remind me that one of my best friends wasn’t allowed to go to my little sister’s funeral because her parents saw me and my family as lazy and a bad influence.”
“Again I’m sorry; you don’t know how sorry I am. …. We are going to cremate them, together. You all can spread their ashes wherever you want if you wish.” I only nodded and she took that as her cue to exit.
Just like Dr. Cooper said, Kira and Gerard were cremated together, holding hands, together even in death. To remember them (as if I would ever forget anyway), I took a button from Kira’s blazer, one that had the logo for the band Iron Maiden; Gerard had gotten her that for her thirteenth birthday. I took one of Gerard’s bracelets he always wore, because Kira made it for him when we were little. We decided as a group to spread their ashes over the old playground we used to play at when we were kids. It held fun memories and now when we would think of them we wouldn’t just remember how they died and how the world went to hell but of the fond memories we have from back then when things were just carefree and we were just kids, we are The Kids From Yesterday.
So we keep moving forward; Ray, Mikey, and I, saving those who survived and taking them the base camp when they can help rebuild the society that once was. We keep moving forward for Kira, for Gerard, for the loved ones we’ve lost, for a better future, for a zombie less world. My name is Frank Iero and I survive for the ones I’ve lost; in accidents, in infection, in a hail of bullets.
~The End~
♠ ♠ ♠
*aww… this is it folks, the end. I hope you all like the ending, I hope it didn’t suck for some of you or seemed too cheesy, but I loved it. I enjoyed writing this fanfiction, I hope you’ve enjoyed reading it. Comment if you would be so kind :D, and stay tuned for my next fanfiction and an original story/comic I’m working on. The tumbleweed keeps on rolling, as long as the wind keeps on blowing. –later, Disaster Darling :X *