Status: COMPLETED!

I'd End My Days With You In A Hail Of Bullets...

Saving The Survivors

“This is a fucking deathwish...” Mikey sighed from the passenger seat of the hum-v. I looked out the bulletproof window next to me to see zombies walking around aimlessly, bodies, blood, and guts scattered all over the streets. I looked again and saw a small diseased girl kneeling over a woman’s corpse, blood splatter all over her mouth and hands, the woman’s intestines scattered on the floor around her. I would only guess that that diseased thing used to be that woman’s innocent child; my stomach turned. I turned and met Frank’s saddened eyes, he forced a smile and I returned it and let him wrap a comforting arm around me.
“How far are we going into the city?” I asked no one in general.
“Not far, just a little past the bridge.” Ray answered
“This place has to be teeming with the diseased, so keep your guns loaded and aim for the head; one shot, one kill.” I cocked back my ak47, military issue gun, as everyone understood and did the same.
We crossed the Brooklyn Bridge and had to maneuver our way through piles of cars and dead bodies. The blood splatter and dead body count got worse here in the big city, the stench of rotting flesh surrounding us; we had to use scarves or handkerchiefs over our mouths to keep some of the pungent fumes from our lungs. Ray halted the hum-v in front of a large grocery store,
“The transmission came from in there.”
“Cool, we can knock two birds with one stone.” Frank commented, I nodded and we prepared ourselves mentally and physically for the rescue. I checked my belt for the necessary back up ammo, adjusted my plaid skirt, and tightened the straps of my boots; ready to go. We charged out of the hum-v and stormed into the store, swords and bats swinging at any nearby zombies. We didn’t want to attract more zombies or any if at all possible with any loud noises.
“Ray and Mikey took the opportunity of hardly any diseased around to take some food and other supplies back to the hum-v while Frank, Gerard, and I kept the zombies away from us and our friends. Once we had all we needed and extra we began the search for the trapped survivors, granted they weren’t diseased.
“Any Survivors in need of assistance?!” I yelled out to the store, getting ready to flee or shoot if more zombies came to the call instead of the living. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move, I moved forward trying to get a look at what could have moved. I turned the corner of an aisle and found a zombie, she had blonde stringy hair. She turned from feeding on some poor corpse and I saw that her teeth were crooked and covered in black tar and pieces of flesh; she lunged, caught me completely off guard. I stumbled backwards but as I reached for my gun her face exploded in front of me. I felt cold flesh and blood hit my cheeks and shirt.
“Never liked that bitch…even when she was human.” A semi-tan guy with glasses and wavy short black hair walked up to me, a smoking rifle at his side. He reached out a hand to help me up and I took it gratefully.
“I’m David.”
“Gerard. Thanks for helping…” Gerard appeared in front of me giving him a death glare and blocking my savior from me.
“Gerard… he saved me, calm down…” I whispered behind him, placing my hands on his tense shoulders, feeling him relax instantly at my touch.
“I’m Kira. Thanks so much for helping me back there. um…did you know her? You know…before all this?”
“Uh, yeah…she was my ex, and believe it or not her teeth were fucked up before the infection.” He threw his head back with laughter, as he did I saw a man next appear next to him. This new man was tall and muscular, he had long black hair with blond hairs on his chin and side burns, he looked like he could murder us with ease and held no fear whatsoever. His eyes however held sadness and turmoil beyond his years, a kind of boredom and inability to understand of why to live any longer; his eyes told me most everything. I noticed I was staring intently at this man and quickly got back into the conversation before anyone noticed.
“This is my bro Trent.” This Trent only nodded his head in acknowledgement.
“We got a transmission of some people stuck here this morning and we came to see who needed help.” Frankie cut in.
“Yeah, that was us, we have a girl here who is injured; does anyone know first aid?”
“I do; did she get bitten or infected in any way?”I said hesitant of going to see her injuries.
“No, she fell pretty hard and hurt her head, she’s unconscious at the moment.” David led the way to the back of the store.
It took a second to have our eyes adjust to the dim lighting and we saw three people huddled by a body lying on the concrete floor. It was the body of an older girl; I would say around our age, her blond hair askew on the floor and her face. She was wearing worn jeans and a loose t-shirt; she was dirty from not showering for days, then again they all were dirty like that. I kneeled over the injured girl and carefully placed my index and middle finger on her neck, looking for a pulse. I sighed with relief when I found a strong pulse. Gerard kneeled next to her head and he had a saddened expression on his face; I guess we found his Jessica… He brushed the loose hairs from her face, his fingers lingering on her pale cheek. My heart broke and all thoughts and hopes of finally being with him were blown away.
~Flashback~
“Daddy… is Uncle Tim going to be okay?” We were in our living room watching a recording on the news of the explosion; my dad’s brother was ambushed along with his squad in a roadside bombing.
“I don’t know sweetie but right now we have to focus on the now and we can’t worry about all that right now, we have a mission and it’s my job to complete it. At times like this we can’t let our feelings come into place; the mission comes first, emotions have to be pushed aside.” My father was always putting on a front; a serious poker face to hide any and all emotions, it’s what they showed you to do in the military. My father was on a jet an hour later to reinforce and head the troops in Bagdad.
~end of flashback~
Some fucked up shit to tell a thirteen year old huh? But it came in handy dad, that’s one thing I learned from you.
“How long has she been unconscious?” I asked getting those thoughts out of my head and focusing on the task at hand.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks so much for reading, stay tuned for the next chapter. If you all are confused or anything like that in terms of the story message me and i can probably explain or you can just keep reading :) message, comment,or subscribe, but always stay lovely. -Disaster Darling :X