Status: COMPLETED!

I'd End My Days With You In A Hail Of Bullets...

Going Home To Heartbreak

“She’s been unconscious all night, that’s why we sent the transmission out this morning.” One of the girls that were sitting opposite of me spoke up.
“All right then we need to get you all out of here, this big city is no place for survivors. We have a safe place and a lot of supplies.”
“We’ll come with you, there’s no point staying here.” Trent finally spoke in a husky and cracked voice as if he hadn’t used it in months. I stood up to full height and turned to address my guys.
“Okay were going to have to hotwire a car, I need to get to the pharmacy for some medical supplies. Ray I need you and Mikey to transport them back to my house; Mikey knows the code. Frank and Gee I need you to help me get the supplies and fend off the infected.”
“We’ll help you.” David insisted.
“No, we can handle it.” Gerard stood defensive.
I put my hand on Gerard’s shoulder to calm him again, “no I don’t think that would be a good idea, you two should go with the girls, we won’t have enough room for the supplies and more bodies but thanks for the offer.” I said as gently as I could; I knew they wanted to feel like they were making a difference but right now they needed to be with the girls.
I pulled Gee aside and away from the group, “do you want to go with Mikey and them back to the house?” he looked away with a sad expression. “Gee, it’s okay if you do. I understand.” I tried my best to put on a genuine smile. I walked away before he could answer and called out for Ray and Frank; leaving Gerard just standing there.
“Ray your coming with me and Frank…Gees going with Mikey.” Ray nodded and walked with me to the back of the store, grabbing grocery baskets along the way and we started stuffing the baskets with all kinds of medicine and bandages and swabbing alcohol; anything that looked like we could use we took with us. As soon as we took everything that we could, I turned to Frank and nodded to him that it was time to grab a vehicle.
“Any specific make or model?” Frank asked jokingly; we instantly stared at a big truck (kind of a suburban-ish SUV) that was parked near the entrance of the store. Frank raised his eyebrows as if asking if this was our transportation.
“That’s our truck; get going and make it fast, I’ll cover you.” With little difficulty we fired up our new big truck and packed everything into it. But as soon as we fired up the truck more and more zombies emerged from hiding because of the amount of noise the truck was making.
“Kira, how are we going to get out here?” frank asked with panic in his voice; infected were surrounding us all over.
“Run em’ through Ray.” I whispered, as soon as I said that Ray hit the pedal to the floor and we jolted out of the parking lot. Bodies of the infected tossed aside while some were crushed under and in between the tires. Gut wrenching crunching and splattering sounds of their bodies being pulverized by this massive vehicle….bodies that used to have a soul…. I shut my eyes tightly trying not to think about that sad fact. Before I knew it we were on the bridge and on our way back home, but I felt uneasiness in the pit of my stomach...
“Ray pull over for a bit.” He looked at me curiously but he stopped and I ran out the SUV and heaved anything that I had in my stomach over the edge of the bridge and into the water below. The smell of the corpses and the thoughts of earlier came all at one and tortured my stomach until I just couldn’t take it anymore. I finished and climbed back into the SUV slowly, I was sick of everything…
“Sorry guys. Let’s go.” I saw their concerned faces and faintly smiled to reassure them that I was fine.
We finally arrived back at my homestead, Mikey met us outside to help carry in the supplies.
“Hey Mikes, how are they doing?”
“Well if you’re asking about Gerard, he hasn’t left her side since we got here. The rest of them are sleeping for the first time in days.”
Of course he hasn’t… “Good, they deserve to rest easy now.” I said walking into the house to put away the new supplies, pretending I didn’t hear about the Gerard part. I walked up the stairs and headed to my room but stopped short when I heard someone speaking in one of the guest rooms. I stopped outside the door and tried to listen in,
“I thought I lost you… I missed you so much you wouldn’t even begin to understand…” It was Gerard and I knew the girl was still unconscious so he was just talking out loud.
“I know we promised that it would always just be us but… I thought you were dead, and I guess you might as well be now… but I think I love someone else. You would like her Jessie, she’s so much fun and she puts others before she would ever think about herself. She comes from a military family so she’s kinda stubborn sometimes and bossy too.” I heard him grin into the last sentence and I couldn’t help but smile. I tried to look through the crack of the door and saw Gee seated next to the bed that held her unconscious form, he held onto her hand softly rubbing it gently with his thumb. “You’ll always have a place in my memories Jessie, but right now it’s someone else that holds my heart.” My heart fluttered with love, something I didn’t think I would ever feel again with all that happened in the world. “Now if only I had the balls to say that to you in person when you woke up… if you woke up.” Gerard sighed sadly and my heart sunk deep into my stomach, I knew it was too good to be true…
♠ ♠ ♠
so yeah this was kind of a filler chapter for the next one. like i said earlier, posting more frequently on this story is going to be more possible because i'm going to be putting all my focus on this here story. my other story (Life Aint Living Without You *MCTR sequel*) is on hiatus till i figure out what direction i want to go with that. thanks so much for reading. -Till next time tumbleweeds -Disaster Darling :X