Status: COMPLETED!

I'd End My Days With You In A Hail Of Bullets...

The Escape -Part two

Image

… A single ray of sunshine melted away the craziness that brewed inside my head overnight form the lack of sleep and too much to listen to. A single ray of sunshine signaled a new day, a little sense of hope into our lives.
I looked around and saw that the rest of the guys were awake too. They couldn’t possibly sleep with all the screaming that could be heard outside. Frank was holding me; he tried to comfort me as we tried to sleep in the storage shed. Even with his efforts he and I could not sleep. I looked up at him and he smiled down at me,
“Morning sunshine.” I couldn’t help but smile at him.
“Morning Frankie.” I stretched and got up. “What’s the plan for getting out of here?” I asked Gerard who was getting up and stretching as well.
“The plan so far is to find some method of transportation as soon as we got off of this roof. Frank you still know how to hotwire a car right?”
“Of course I do.” Frank said smugly, Gerard smiled.
“Good. Alright so we look out for each other, know where everyone is at all times, protect each other. We’re going to have to cover Frankie while he hotwires our getaway car, from then we’ll figure out where we want to go. We might want to get to a nearby gasoline station and fuel up some tanks with gas as well as stock up with some food for us and hygiene items and such. Frank look for a big vehicle, preferably an SUV or truck.” Gerard led our group with a lot of determination in making it to see another day. Everyone grabbed their weapons and readied ourselves for lots of running and swinging.
We came out into the blaring sunshine; the roof was still empty. I glanced over the roof edge which was protected by a chain linked fence. The infected was still wandering around aimlessly; the stench in the air was unbearable, the smell of blood and rotting flesh. I ripped off a piece of fabric from the end of my dress shirt that exposed some of my hip and used the fabric to cover my nose and mouth; the guys did the same. I gripped tighter onto my bat as Gerard gently opened the door as to not raise awareness that food was near. It seemed as if if they couldn’t hear us then they wouldn’t bother us.
“Let’s go Frank.” We ran past some of the infected until they figured out that their potential breakfast was running right past them. I started swinging at the closest zombie, their grotesque faces twisting as it made contact with the metal pole. We worked our way to the faculty parking lot, swinging and dodging as we went along. I covered Frank’s back as he turned to work his magic, he settled on what looked like a utility van of the school maintenance personnel. It was big enough for us so I couldn’t complain. I just wanted to not get bit by these things.
“Alright. Good to go!” Frank yelled as we tried to defend ourselves. Zombies surrounded us tightly; we had trouble defending ourselves with just the weapons we found. Something caught my eye on the road next to the school. It was an army vehicle…a hum-v. I smiled widely,
“Frank! Look!” I pointed for a brief second before stabbing another zombie through the head with my metal pole. Another zombie grabbed me, taking me by surprise. I screamed, I was done for…
Gerard came behind the zombie and choked it with his bat; I quickly turned around and bashed its head, being careful to not hit Gerard. The infected’s head literally spun around, I heard a sharp crack to prove it. Frank fought off the zombies that were holding him back.
“Gerard! We have to get out of here!” I yelled, Frank started pulling me close behind him. I saw that Ray and Mikey were already ahead of us, leading the way out of the crowd that now surrounded us. Shots started being fired and my ears were ringing from the shots and my heart pounding.
“Frank get her the fuck out of here! I’m right behind you!” Frank tightened his grip on my wrist and pulled me harder towards Ray and Mikey. It all seemed like a bad dream and it happened so quickly.
I saw Ray hop into the front seat, the engine roared as it was brought to life. I grabbed a gun from one of the fallen soldiers that littered the ground along with bullet casings and lots of blood, around the hum-v. I was pushed into the back seat as soon as I was inside I poked my head out of the latch on the top of the hum-v. Once Mikey and Frank were inside the vehicle Ray charged the hum-v in the direction Gerard was, he was fighting off as many of those monsters as he could and I could see that he was growing weary. I shot at the monsters next to him, making sure that none of them had the opportunity to bite him.
Frank opened the backseat door and as we neared Gerard he stuck his hand out of the moving vehicle to have Gerard grab onto it and be safely whisked away from the gnashing mouths of the infected. Gerard sat down; I closed the latch and sat in between Frank and Gee.
“We’re going to have to stop at a gas station and fill’er up.” Ray motioned to the gas meter.
“We’re not in the clear yet guys.” I announced, “We can fill up here.” A large gas station came into view, I peeked behind our seats and my eyes went wide at the amount of weapons and ammunition that would be able to sustain us for the rest of the ride.
“Hey guys, ever shot a gun before?”
“Uh… no….” Mikey answered for everyone.
“How about a military issue AK47.” I smirked as I checked the gun for ammo.
“Not even, but it looks like you have.” Frank laughed. I passed one rifle to each of us and taught them how to hold it and where the safety was and how to reload it.
“There you go guys, it’s pretty easy enough.” I said smiling widely.
“I think I’m in love.” Frank gaped at me jokingly. I pushed him in a friendly way. I looked at Gerard from the corner of my eye; he hadn’t smiled or acknowledged any of us in any way yet. I guess it’s up to me,
“Alright we get what we need and we get out. Mikey I need you and Frank to turn on the pump switch inside the station while ray loads her up and Gerard and I will make sure none of those things get near Ray while he pumps. When you get inside try to grab some things we might need in bags i.e. first aid kits, water, snacks-“
“Beer got it.” Frank cut me off and smirked at me.
“Whatever. Just make sure you get necessities.” I said rolling my eyes.
“What? And beer isn’t a necessity?” Frank continued.
“It can be debated, but later. Right now we have to get this done and over with so we can find a place to spend the night to live another day.” I said looking them all in the eyes, minus Gerard who was just staring at the gun. “And guys… try not to get killed.” I added before charging out of the hum-v with my gun blazing. Frankie and Mikey soon followed and stormed into the gas station; shooting every infected that came up in the head. I looked over my shoulder and saw that Gerard had indeed gotten out of the vehicle and was protecting Ray’s right side. More and more of the infected kept coming at us, if we stuck around any longer one of us was bound to get hurt.
“Got it, let’s go!” Ray yelled at me and Gerard, he got into the hum-v and started her up.
“Frank, Mikey let’s get out of here!” I yelled towards the store, and after a moment I didn’t hear a reply. Oh shit.
“Frankie?!” I yelled louder as I ran to the store, I heard feet running behind me, I ascertained it was Gerard and burst through the doors of the gas station. I scanned the store, my heart beating in my ears. I was too scared to go forward into the aisles and check them for Frank and Mikey, too afraid of what I might find. Suddenly I heard a round of gunshots go off at the end of the store; Gerard and I ran towards the back to where the beverages were and found Frank on the floor leaning against the refrigerators with his gun on the floor and his face pale. Mikey was standing kneeling next to him, his face just as white. I looked to what they were staring at and saw what used to be a little girl, her face twisted and covered in grime, black blood coming out from her mouth, and oily hair sticking to her face. Her skin was a purplish red and I saw her once beautiful clothes were torn and tattered and covered in dirt and blood, only a symbol of how beautiful this little girl was and how ugly she turned in to. How underneath all that dirt and dried blood there used to be an innocent little girl who was just experiencing the world and its beauty… its sick. Sick how this world is what turned her ugly and inhuman.
“I couldn’t do it… I… she… she looked just like her and I just couldn’t do it.” Frank mumbled out finally.
“Frankie are you okay? Did you get bit?
“Frank was too stunned, I came when I heard him yell and I shot her before she could bite him.”Mikey answered for Frank. I helped Frank get to his feet,
“Frankie we have to go.” He couldn’t stop staring at the infected’s body.
“Frankie look at me. It’s okay, it’s not your fault she was sick sweetie.” I turned his face to mine, his sad eyes finally meeting mine.
“It couldn’t be helped, she was sick. She’s at rest now.” He nodded sadly, his eyes glazed over with tears. I held him close for a second before picking up his rifle and pulling him with me to the door, towards the hum-v. We quickly got into the vehicle and Ray revved the hum-v away from the gas station and the zombies.
“We should find a safe place to rest for the night.” Gerard spoke up for the first time since our little encounters earlier. Everyone simply nodded
“Um…we can check my place, no one is home … my mom and dad went away before….all this.”
Frank was okay now, I had wrapped him in my arms with his head on my chest, and I didn’t want to let go. I wanted all his sorrow to go away, but how can it when the world we live in is filled with horror, misery, and sorrow.
“I’m here for you Frankie.” I whispered in his ear and kissed his cheek, rubbing his back. He got up and kissed my cheek. He took me in his arms this time and whispered a ‘thank you’.
“Is this it?” Ray asked
“Yeah, home sweet home…”
*flashback ends*
♠ ♠ ♠
*sorry for the delay guys, and thanks so much for sticking with this story! I hope this chapter was too your liking and if it did or didn’t please let me know, I love to hear feedback! –stay beautiful and keep it ugly :D – Disaster Darling :X*