Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 14: Old Friend

Mivian's POV

"Um...if you don't mind me asking, exactly why am I being taken out of training to be put through a physical exam?"

I felt my eyes twitch in annoyance as Darvien asked yet another question.
What PART of 'you'll find out soon,' didn't he get?
I ignored him and let someone else answer.

"We'll be there shortly," Zavius said, leading the way.

If he was just as irritated as I was, he didn't show it.
I knew he wasn't being intentionally clueless; he was just trying to get as much info as he could---like any good Slayer would before a mission. I say he should do so in a manner that wouldn't bother anyone, as in me, for instance.
We dual-teleported to the (actually, they did---I went solo) to the Technological Research Unit in the lower bases of Paramount's training area, where the Virtual Simulation System was located. I was supposed to go in and under with Darvien to pull him through the programmed drill. And the simulation was set at a higher level---level 6: Tracking.
I couldn't help a smirk that curved on my lips. This was going to be fun...

"And here we are..." Sarvwen announced as we approached a section of the wall that seemed pretty much ordinary like any other walls in the tower.
But as we drew closer, the wall became less solid, hiding something underneath.
"Dispel," Zavius murmured in a low, layered tone, his voice weaved with his Energy.

Immediately, the shielding hologram lifted and the large portion of the wall thinned, revealing a cold, thick steel panel. The great door to the Advanced Technological Research Unit stood right in front of our eyes.
Zavius didn't hesitate as he walked up to the panel. The surface of the steel seemed to liquefy and slowly, a small shape emerged, sending ripples across the surface. Then, the shape came toward Zavius, stopping directly in front of him. It twisted sharply and snapped open into a flat screen, glowing light neon blue.
"Identifications," The speaker spoke in a cool, smooth monotone.

Zavius pulled out a thin chain that rested at his neck under his mission wear. He slipped it off, pulling out with it the square, onyx and silver charm that glinted on the tiny links.
"What's he doing?" Darvien hissed at me, making me jump. After my heart started to beat right again, I turned around to explain as I tried to hide my annoyance.
"Clearing for entry," I said. When confusion came over his face, I went on.
"As you already know, there are secured stations within the Paramount Towers. This area is one of them."
I paused to check if he followed.
"That charm thing he just pulled out is actually a micro computer chip assigned to every Aequitas rank. We call them Keepers. Each Keeper is completely encrypted with the individual Slayer's Energy signature and their Soul Memories. It's programmed in with personal data and status codes that are neither forgeable nor breakable. In out-bound missions, it serves as a tracking device and is totally in sync with the body's functions. So basically, if you are disabled, incapacitated or worse in a battle in the Living, the crew here would know and send the appropriate parties over."
I took a deep breath and went on.
"Which brings us back to here."

I pulled out my own Keeper.
"These babies are also the access key to secured areas inside the Paramount Towers. Totally fool-proof."
Darvien studied my Keeper with curiosity before turning back to me.
"But what if the Keeper was taken? Wouldn’t that person now have access through security?" he asked.
I couldn't help rolling my eyes a little. I smiled though, nonetheless.
"If the system was that simple, it wouldn't be fool proof now, would it?"
Darvien smirked.
"Ah. I expected as much. So what makes the security so complete?"
I nodded toward Zavius, who pressed the charm into the glowing screen.
"Just watch,"

The second the charm touched the scanner, the screen surface rippled lightly. The screen liquefied and gave way under the gentle pressure of Zavius’s hand, his Keeper slipping through. The screen stayed intact as it submerged completely and the palm of his hand touched.
The speaker responded, speaking out in its clear tone.
"Identification verified. Enter Energy Code."

Zavius didn't move, his hand staying on the scanner. I glanced at Darvien and he returned me a look of curiosity. I just motioned with my eyes.
Patience, boy...

We watched from behind Zavius, just letting him do his thing. The scanner started to glow brightly under his hand, humming in a low buzz. I felt a breeze stir and brush around in the space where we stood. His Pulse was stirred.

Suddenly, he snapped out of his trance.
"Nolum, Zavius. Aequitas ranahan, sevit luev. Vis mona hara leis mohn thyos Dharac, iv mona Wies faltem non." he murmured.

His voice flowed out like silk, layered with his Energy in a hypnotic rhythm. The scanner gave a soft blink of light before starting to fade. It snapped closed, just as it had when it first opened. Then it silently receded back into the steel. There was a loud, echoing thud from somewhere behind the silver metal surface. A thin line sliced through the steel wall, separating the panel into two equal halves. Then the door slid apart, cracking the thin line wider. Behind the silver doors were another thick panel, following the firsts lead and opening. There was another door behind it, cracking open, and this time, it revealed a dark, wide room. The only source of light came from the number if large monitors that were lined up in a neat, orderly row. We walked in, following after Zavius. The doors slid close with a thud, the thin line merging together and forming a single wall once more. There were numbers of Unit crew present, each working diligently on individual stations.

One of them turned and looked at us. It was a bit too dark to see who it was, but they made their way towards us.
"Ah ha...Welcome, we've been expecting you for quite a while now..." A loud, bell-like voice rang in the dark space, sounding a bit obnoxious.
I immediately recognized that voice. I was grinning before that person approached.
"Hey Thya, it's had been a while," I said.

There was a loud gasp, and before I could blink, I was lifted off the ground and crushed into a rib-breaking embrace.
"MIVIAN!! I KNEW that blonde was familiar looking!! GOOD DIVINE, IT'S GOOD TO SEE YOU AGAIN!! I THOUGHT YOU DIED OR SOMETHING!!" Thya screamed excitedly.
I was gasping for air, mostly from laughing while my lungs were being crushed.
"Thya!! Air." I gasped out; pulling my head from what I assumed was her chest.
Thya hummed and sighed contently.
"Hmm...huh? Oh! Right, I'm sorry!"
She set me back down on my feet.
"I forgot you were fragile," she said, winking.
I pouted back, feigning annoyance. She laughed again merrily.

Thya was an old friend of ours and we were really close, especially with Zavius and Ava. She was our comrade through the time we were Ressurectio rank---and my partner in crime. In looks, she was jaw-dropping perfect. Curvaceous body, yet lean and athletic. Her hair was always a different color and in different styles. Her face, in guys words, one of an angel. Funny, for one, she IS a fully qualified Angel Guard Slayer. And two---she was NO angel in attitude. Ironic, isn't it?
Ever since she was placed in charge of the Advanced Technological Research Unit, I have never really got the chance to see her.

But as I see now, she has not changed one bit. Thya looked at me and cocked her head to the side.
"And I see that Zavius and Sarvwen came along. How are you apes doing?" she said with a smirk.
Zavius rolled his eyes and looked away, trying to hide a grin. Sarvwen gave a sad, childish scowl. Thya laughed yet again.
"Haven't changed one bit, have we?" she said, amused.
"Hmm...It's good to see you, Thya," Zavius said, politely smiling.
"Right back at you. Sarvwen, you too. Wow, but everything's almost exactly the same!!" she said.
Sarvwen shrugged.
"How can you not miss this?" he joked.
Thya smirked.
"Oh, I never said it was a good thing. In fact, in your case, it can't be. I pity you." she jabbed, crossing her arms.
Sarvwen scowled.
"For your information, I don't need your pity. I've been fine the way I've been for the last few centuries." he snorted defensively. "Besides, it's not like we can grow and change even if we wanted to,"
This time, Thya snorted.
"Yeah well, some humans would kill for eternal youth. Take Elizabeth Bathory, for example; crazy. Just think of it as a gift. Or just deal with it. Be a man for once. I thought after those few centuries it would drill into you. But I guess we really can't grow what we never had." she retorted.
"Well then, that sucks. Cuz it would have been great to go deaf sometimes." Sarvwen retaliated loudly.
Thya frowned and raised a delicately shaped eyebrow.
"Oh really? Now why is that?"
Sarvwen met her gaze with a wicked smile.
"See, if things went ideologically, by growing old I should eventually go deaf, and if I'm lucky, blind. Then there's the whole short-term memory thing," he said, as-matter-of-factly.
Thya's frown grew deeper.
"Yeah? So? Get to the point."
His grin grew wider.
"That should take care of the issue of having to listening to your loud mouth. Hell, it would be like you don't exist!! Oh, the heaven it will be!!" he sighed dramatically.

I could swear I saw a vein bulge on Thya's temple.
"What are you trying to say, boy?" she snarled in a dangerous tone.
Sarvwen took a challenging step forward and looked down at her face, which wasn't too far down. He shrugged.
"Oh, nothing complicated. Just thinking how much at peace I'll be in if I didn't have to put up with that ever-lasting running of you mouth!!"

Joyous, and the war starts off again.
These two never got along for some reason, but had made great accomplishments on missions they had as partners.
Zavius sighed tiredly over the argument.
"Unbelievable," he said, shaking his head at the raging bickering.
"Yes, I'll say the same thing for the security system of this place. Incredible," Darvien breathed.
I nodded in agreement with him.
"A certain entry code is entwined to the Slayer's individual Keeper. Like us and the Keepers, each code is different and unique. That's one of the reasons why entry requires a handprint, Pulse Signature, and the individual incantations." I said.

Darvien nodded in fascination.
"Not only that, the incantation has to be recited in your Voice, also commonly known as Angel's Lullaby; that itself is unique as the reciting Immortal. An Immortal couldn't get past this system under a wrong name." he said with full comprehension.
He went on.
"Ancient Tongue spoken in Lullaby tone---such a soothing melody, isn't it? His phrase, 'May my heart lead me through Darkness, and my Will fail me not,' was it not?"

I hate to admit it, but I was amazed.
Darvien had obviously analyzed the system just by observing once. And on top of that, he seemed to be completely fluent in the Ancient Tongue, the language of Light Immortal that grew naturally along side with your skills. But then again, if he wasn't a genius, he wouldn't be here in the first place.

Darvien turned to Zavius. He arched his brows casually.
"So you're Zavius, the famous Slayer Prince! I've heard about you. You're a legend."
Zavius winced at his famous nickname.
"I was kind of hoping that would've died down after a few decades," he said sheepishly.
I laughed lightly.
"Zavius, we forgot to introduce ourselves!! Hi, I'm Mivian, and the yowling ape over there is Sarvwen. And you already know that girl is our Thya."
Darvien nodded.
"Mivian, I've heard of you, too. You've got a title as the 'Rebel' of the Paramount. Wow...I got to say, it's an honor to be in the presence of famous beings such as yourselves."
Zavius chuckled.
"Famous? Don't you mean infamous? Mivian's known for the trouble she starts and the order she broke that caused that whole scandal. Her records add more,"

I grimaced visibly. That was a sensitive topic to talk about.
But Darvien shrugged.
"But I heard that she disobeyed the orders to save a mortal. Even if her actions risked the chance of exposing our existence, she risked her life doing her duty. I support her decision. It may have been just one more mortal life, but that's one more for us to keep safe. It's what we Angel Guard Corps are for." he said.

Immediately, everything I had against this Angel Guard trainee disappeared. I couldn't help it.
I scooted over to Darvien's side, grinning broadly. I slid my arm around his torso and leaned into his side as if we were posing for a picture.
"I like him. He's my new fave."
Zavius looked at me awkwardly.
"Uh huh...I don't think he likes you, though." he said in a bored tone.

I looked up at Darvien and saw that he was looking away, blushing.
Aww... How adorable.

Suddenly, an angry growl came from behind us.
"Oh, you are unbelievable!! I could just---are you even LISTENING to me?!" Thya growled.
Sarvwen leaned his posture over and curled his lips in over his teeth.
"Ehh? Whaz zat, sunny? Can't hear ya." he rasped in a perfect imitation of an aged mortal.
Thya screamed in frustration and made a motion as if to strangle Sarvwen.
"Can we do this know?" Zavius asked in an irritated tone, cutting in.
Both Thya and Sarvwen looked back at us, and then back at each other.
"Fine." They said in sync, crossing their arms stubbornly.
Thya stepped towards us, and Sarvwen returned to Zavius's side.
It was as if nothing had happened.

"Alright then," Thya approached us, giving Darvien an apologetic smile.
"Sorry for the wait. Let's get you and Mivian hooked up and under. Our technicians will assist you both with the pre-submersion procedures." she said, motioning two uniformed crew members in a white lab robe.
I shrugged out of my black Slayer uniform jacket and tossed it to one of the coming technician. I cracked my knuckles and grinned.
"Let's do this."
Thya turned to Zavius and handed him a silver mission card.
"This is the assignment you were assigned. Ava said for you to be prepared."

Zavius quickly skimmed through the description. A surprised look flitted across his face and he glanced up at Darvien briefly.
"She got Summoned a while ago and left to take care of errands. Here," Thya continued to say, tossing him his Keeper. "You know the drill. Mission is initiated." she said.
Zavius straightened a bit.
"Assignment received and accepted." Zavius responded dutifully, before flashed out of sight.

Thya turned to us for the last time.
"I'll be monitoring your statistics and progress from the monitors. Now go on, and have fun." she said, winking at both of us.

I nodded and followed the technicians further into the Unit, leaving behind Thya and Sarvwen.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Sarvwen's POV

I watched on as Mivian and Darvien got ushered away into the simulation program stations. I slackened my tall posture and relaxed tiredly. I let out a puff of breath and ran a hand through my hair.
Thya turned around and came to stand next to me.

"You know, that kid is something," she murmured.
"Yeah, I could see that." I replied. "The next Slayer prodigy, they say."

Thya snorted.
"I'll give him above and beyond average, but not a prodigy. We know what prodigy is. I don't exactly see that in him...not yet at least" she said.
"Hmm."

There was a silence between us, only the bustling and occasional beeping of the monitors surrounding the air.
"They don't know, do they?" Thya spoke out after moments passed.
I didn't answer; she already knew. I heard her sigh loudly as if out of slight exasperation.
"She's really pushing her limits here, you know."

I nodded in grim agreement.
"Yeah, I know."
"This one's worse than the last one. Though she hides it well, she's in pain." she added.
"I know. I saw it." I said.
"And I saw the status report." she returned.

Silence fell between us again, this time, though, was shorter.
"Zavius won't take it well, as always." Thya said grimly.
"Neither will Mivian." I added.
I turned to look at Thya and saw worry all over her expression.
"Look, I found out accidentally. And she's not planning on telling the two anytime in the future. She's probably trying to fix it herself. But you know her better than I; she's not stupid."

I heard Thya sigh again.
"Yup, that's my Ava." she said softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
GAH!! That was a bit corny, I know... but I didn't know what else to do!! XD (...sorry...)

To leave a tid-bit of little comments or complaints for me, click here!!

Oh, any questions or confusion, please just send me a message!!
I do love reading other people's comments and questions, so please, leave me something!!

Oh, and a little notice: once this one catches up a TINY bit more, keep your eyes out on a new story "Frozen Phoenix"!! If you're interested, please check it out when it comes out!!

Please comment and subscribe if you haven't!!