Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 15: The Second Summon

Her feet found solid ground before her sight returned to her once more.
The sound of rushing air ceased to hiss, returning the atmosphere into its tranquil calm.

Ava allowed herself sink down to a kneel as she waited for her senses to return. It was taking much longer than usual.
Don't think about it, she urged.
Finally, she was fully recovered from the teleportation shift. She took a deep breath and stood up, looking down the Elders Hall.

Why was I Summoned again? she wondered, but nevertheless, made her way to the desk of Sir Elder Ravador.
The throne-like chair at the desk was facing the grand glass wall behind the desk as she approached.
"Ah, Ava. I'm grateful that you came back so soon." Ravador's voice called in a soft yet strong tone.

She looked around to see the Chief Elder standing behind her by a few yards, arms held in a wise hold. Ava bowed her head in sign of respect. She heard a slight chuckle.
"I shall take none of that formal nonsense from my equals of the Union." he chuckled, ushering her to loosen her posture.

Ava did so, but still retained her formal composure.
Ravador swept past her to his desk. He set himself down in his chair, touching the tips of his fingers together in a leadership manner.
"I am grateful that you have responded to my request in such short notice." he said.
She nodded slightly.
"But of course. It has been my duty to serve under your wisdom over the many years; and I am in debt to you for my rude behaviors of earlier before."
Ravador smiled, and shook his head gently.
"There are no debts to be paid, Ava. You were taking action for a friend. That is something honorable, not shameful."

He eyed her carefully and cleared his throat. He leaned forward to place his elbows onto his desk and setting his lips to his folded hands. She waited silently as he continued to ponder about something.

Finally, after moments of thought, he spoke out, his eyes glinting.
"Ava, is there something on your mind that is clouding your conscience?"
This question caught Ava by surprise; she wasn't expecting a question that was centered on her, never mind her thoughts.
Immediately, she felt discomfort. She looked straight at her superior Chief Elder, keeping all emotion from her face. She gazed at him with a secure eye contact, her eyes holding nothing.

"There is nothing, sir." Ava said calmly, her voice even and steady.
Good; nothing out of the ordinary. she thought in silent relief.
Ravador returned her gaze in an equally bold hold. He studied her face curiously for another few moments before letting out a sigh.
"If you say so..."
He cleared his thought once more and looked at her again, this time, with authority.
"Ava, I have Summoned you here concerning a mission report submitted by Mivian," he said.
Again, she was taken by surprise.
"Mivian, sir? Then it should be nothing that is too serious, I hope."

He shook his head reassuringly.
"No, no. I had her go to a mission out the Living---through the East Portal. You are familiar to this place, I'm sure."
Ava felt her muscles tense in response; she did not like what she was hearing.
"Sir Ravador, I was sent to the Eastern Midlands not a month ago for a full examination of the living communities. I did send in a thorough mission report. The area of population is clean. I sweep it from end to end." she said. "Do you speak of the same area?"

He nodded, his expression grave.
"I'm very much aware of your mission there and yes, I had Mivian sent back there on another task. The readings from our radars have been abnormal. And, in addition to that, Mivian returned yesterday with a different story." he said.

And with that, he brought out two disk reports and three mission cards. He held one of the reports up and placed it on his desk before him.
"Sylersland, population: 173,028 people. All potential threats eliminated, remaining evidence erased. That was the status 3 weeks ago."

She nodded, remembering clearly what she had reported. Ravador held up the other disk. "Sylersland, population: 0 people. No evident remains of violent conduct or remaining living souls. The report also states that it looks to have been deserted for over a month."

Ava stood before his desk, her mind swirling with thoughts. She looked down at the two reports as she tried to sort things out in her mind.

How was this possible?
A mistake?


No, she knows what she saw. And Mivian isn't stupid. But then how could have all those humans disappeared in less than a month? An epidemic? A viral infection? An attack?
No; all those possibilities were eliminated at the moment the second report pronounced the area trace-free. It was as if the occupants left on their own free will.

Ava’s eyes turned to the three cards. She knew what she was Summoned for.
"New missions," she said, her voice coming out in a dull tone.
Ravador nodded, regarding her carefully.
"I'm sorry, but you're the only one who can do this certain set of missions."

Ava knew that; she was the one who was there on the mystery site before the sudden change.
"Now, Ava, I know I ask much from you. I will understand if you would wish to have a hiatus period from the active field." Ravador said sincerely.

Ava found that she was a bit thrown off-guard with his sincerity.
What did he notice? What does he see?
Her mind was swarmed by tense questions, until she cast them away deeper into her mind. She swept up the three mission cards and tucked them away in her pocket. She angled her body away from the desk, standing sideways in front of Ravador, just in case he could see through her thoughts.
"Sir, I wouldn't dream of resting before the humans of the Living are safe and all the souls are at peace." she said, giving the Sir Elder a sideway glance.

The Chief Elder nodded, almost smiling.
"You are very much aware that such peace is unobtainable as long as the Condemned stands in our way, correct?" he asked.
Ava spoke over her shoulder instead of meeting his gaze.
"Of course," she murmured, closed her eyes and teleported out of the Elders Hall.

Ravador gazed at the place where Ava had disappeared. He laid back against his chair, sighing deeply.
"Word of wisdom, Ava. Knowing your limits is part of growing stronger." he murmured. "Keep your pain hidden, it will only be the matter of time before it breaks you."

The Sir Elder sighed, shaking his head tiredly.
"Your friends would not like this one bit..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm... I didn't know if I wanted to put this chapter in or not... wasn't all too great and didn't have much going on... but I did anyways.

To leave a tid-bit of little comments or complaints for me, click here!!

I do love reading other people's comments and questions, so please, leave me something!!

Oh, and a little notice: once this one catches up a TINY bit more, keep your eyes out on a new story "Frozen Phoenix"!! If you're interested, please check it out when it comes out!!

Please comment and subscribe if you haven't!!