Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 17: Virtual Entertainment

Mivian’s POV

I was floating...just taking up space.
I felt so relaxed, I didn't want to move. Everything was quiet, so peaceful and serene...
It was like dreaming...

Then, I remembered where I was.

Slowly, I opened my eyes. Sure enough, I was hovering couple of feet above the ground, surrounded in a transparent barrier. Tentatively, I reached forward and pressed my hand through the barrier. It gave way, its texture smooth like jell-o under my fingertips. I took a deep breath, and threw myself into the transparent wall. I passed through without difficulties. I leaped down and landed softly on the ground.
The virtual ground.
This was all in my mind; my real self was in a comatose-like state back in the Tech Research Unit. I heard a light thud behind me and I wheeled around. It was Darvien, ready to get into action.
"Whoa," was all he said.

I nodded and took a look around. We had been placed down in a setting that looked like a forest. From the mist-covered ground to the dark leaves on the tips of the trees branches. The cool, late-afternoon breeze flowed in my face, the moist air stirring. The rustling of the leaves was like secret whispers in the breeze. Everything was all too realistic.
Well, I guess that was the whole point.

The sun was setting slowly, gradually becoming darker and darker. I paused for a moment to wait for the needed data and simulated memory to kick into gear. My mind felt fuzzy at first, and then finally cleared into organized set of information. We were set down in Barascian Forest, 20 miles southwest from Turner's Hollow. Being cradled in between the mountains and the vast forest, this town was bound to be targeted by the Bloodkins.
"We'll move right as the sun completely sets." I said.
Darvien nodded. He knew why we had to wait until the dark fell---that was when the Bloodkins were active. And that, incase we have an unexpected slip-up, we may have at least a little chance of concealing and recovering from the consequences, all if there was less for the humans to see.
Even though we can’t be seen by most mortals, they can still see these Bloodkins.
I noticed then that Darvien was fully geared for a mission. The black slim-fitting trench coat uniform covered his broad shoulders, the ends flowing around his calves in the cool breeze. He was equipped with a curved dagger that resembled the one Zavius has, its crescent-shaped blade glinted menacingly. One side of the blade was sharp and smooth, and the other side was jagged with claw points. The cross guards stood out in the same jagged design below the handle, adding to the intimidating glint. The claws flowed right into the handle, the points flowing together into ribbons of ribs that swirled around, finishing off the whole deadly look of the weapon.
I kept on staring at the dagger with such intense tension.
"A Viper Blade..." I heard myself murmur.
It did look exactly the same as Zavius's black Shadow Viper...except for...
"It's silver."
Darvien looked down at his waist where the dagger was securely fastened.
"Yeah, the weapon that appealed to me the most. I've had it since my first day of training. I was told it was called Silver Viper. Sort of fitting, I think." he said, examining his dagger just as I was.
But wait, wasn't he still a Praesidium rank? Slayers are only allowed to cary a weapon around when they first become a Proeliator, the next rank up. So why did he already have a weapon chosen?

Before I could say a word, a sharp shriek filled the air, hitting me full-force through my body, sending cold chills up and down my body. Instinctively, I flicked my dagger out of its holster and into my hand. My attention was already trained into the direction the sound had come from--- the town. The sun was just a sliver over the horizon, slipping away at a steady pace. But the sun only seemed to be moving too slow; there was definitely enough light to completely reveal our lurking target.
"Vardavit," I swore, slightly annoyed.
I turned to Darvien. He, too, had his dagger drawn.
"20 miles northeast; 10 seconds. I'll race you." I said grimly.
He nodded, and we both dove into the growing shadows of the forest.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My foot met a hard dirt path at the edge of the forest as I halted to a sharp stop. Adrenaline pumped hard into my skull giving me an exhilarating rush.
20 miles in less than 10 seconds...not bad...
There was a stir of the breeze right next to me before my other foot touched the ground.
"That was something," Darvien said, echoing my thoughts.
I smirked.
"Impressive; you didn't need 10 seconds." I said, complimenting him.
Darvien smiled.
"Thanks...you're a great competition yourself."

Suddenly, Darvien's attention turned to the scene below us. He looked down at the small town; his eyes were sharp and rigid in concentration.
"It's too quiet." He said.
I nodded.
So he had noticed.
Now what will you do, Darvien? I thought.

I wondered if I was supposed to make intentional mistakes to see if he would catch onto them. It was my job to test him, judge his every maneuver and let him make the first move.

So just for my random urge, and out of my random timing, I put my foot into an abrupt and pronounced forward step. And as if in reaction, Darvien's arm shot right in front my way.
"Don't move. Unsecured area." he commanded.
I couldn't help a smirk. So he had passed the small little test. He obviously knew what to do and how to be in control. And it wasn't like I was going to object against him either; he was a giant standing next to me. I just watched on in slight amusement and let Darvien take over. He lowered himself down to the ground and pressed his ear to the ground. His eyes were closed, showing that he was in deep focus. Moments passed as he remained still.
"The most peculiar..." he murmured.

His eyes were still closed, his face in a thoughtful mask. I waited patiently for him in silence. The sun was already set now, the wind noticeably cooler against our backs.
"Not a sound of movement." he concluded before lifting himself off the ground.
He brushed off the front of his trench coat lightly. He looked thoughtful for another moment before turning to me.
"We should start from the Western boarders. It's more than likely that our target trespassed into Turner's Hollow from there. It's an open barrier." he said in a commanding tone.
I just nodded in response and returned my dagger back into its holster.
"Uh huh."

So I followed after his lead, creeping closer to the silent town. We hung in the shadows of the woods, hiding from sight. It didn't take too long before we reached the Western boarders of the town. That's when we stepped out of the shadows and into the moonlight. We looked around, our senses feeling around for any living---or undead---presences. The atmosphere was dank and heavy, dark and cold.
Not at all lively. This simulation was too realistic it was creepy.
"Ugh. It has to be here; I can feel it." I said, fighting down a spine-tingling feeling.

Darvien didn't answer. He seemed to be in deep thought again. So I kept quiet, prying around for anything out of the ordinary.
It was already dark, yet there was not a single light glowed in any of the houses. It was too early for the humans to go to sleep. Yet the windows seemed to be staring down at us like empty dark eyes...dead and lifeless like everything else here. For some reason, it reminded me of my last mission out to the Living.
It was a ghost town.

"How am I doing so far?" Darvien asked suddenly.

I blinked to myself for a second before I remembered why I was here...and that I was actually knocked out cold back at Thya's Unit.
Wow, it's too easy to forget.
"Not bad." I shrugged.
Darvien mused quietly.
He then put his index finger to his brow subconsciously, in an obvious habit. He looked from one house to another, as if comparing shadows with another shadow.
"Yup...this is definitely it." he said confidently.
"Huh?"
The immediate response slipped before I could help it. Darvien turned to look at me and smiled shyly.
"Oh right...I sort of have a knack for seeing visions." he said timidly.
"'Sort of'? 'Knack'?" I kept blurting.

Darvien seemed to have blocked out my sudden outbursts. He was still looking around at the seemingly empty town. He looked up at the moon with calm steady eyes.
"Anytime now," he murmured.

I felt my skin crawl and my muscles tense. I whipped my dagger out and spun it in my hands. I took a quick glance to Darvien and saw that he already had his dagger out and was staring intensely between two parallel walls of two houses. I followed his gaze and stared, my eyes mimicking his. Everything was dead silent in the shadows, unmoving. I felt the rush pumping through my body, the tension building. My breathing was shallow in anticipation.

Then, suddenly, a lump of shadow that was settled against one of the walls shifted, and lifted apart. What I had assumed was trash and a cluttered pile moved and staggered. It twisted its long, thin limbs awkwardly, its hard joints cracking. With couple of rough jerks and cracks it lifted its head up towards the night sky---and shrieked. The sound ripped through my body in shocks of cold, seizing my muscles. My feet dug into the ground, ready to leap forward. The creature froze and sniffed the air. I didn't dare to move or let my eyes stray from it. Our target was right there, just few yards beyond our reach...
There was another jerk from the creature as it twisted its head around---and stared at us with glowing yellow eyes. It curled its blackened lips in a devilish grin, its lips tight over its razor-sharp teeth.
"So that's where he was hiding," Darvien said in a hushed tone.

The Bloodjack turned fully on us, its beady eyes burning in an eerie glow. It let out a strangled laughing sound before it crouched cat-like and dove forward at us, teeth snapping.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's another chapter for those that like it!! To comment on how good/bad, awesome/crappy, how you loved/hated it, just comment here!!
I do love reading other people's comments and questions, so please, leave me something!!

Oh, and a little notice: once this one catches up a TINY bit more, keep your eyes out on my new story, Frozen Phoenix.
If you like PM, you'll probably like this one too.

Please comment and subscribe if you haven't!! =D

~K