Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 23: The Moment of Truth

Mivian's POV

Ava drew out her katana once again and grasped it in a defensive manner as she braced for the attack. There was a clash of metal against metal and Ava was shoved back as she parried Zavius's blade. She slid back across the floor, gritting her teeth against the force.

"Zavius!!" she demanded.

She flicked the katana back in front of her, blocking another strike. She grunted out as Zavius's leg came swinging around, colliding with her stomach. She staggered back, wincing and gasping for air.
"What the hell!" she growled angrily.

Zavius stood up and pointed his dagger in her direction, his eyes daring to make the next move.
"Ava, this is very unlike you. You haven't made one offensive counter against me yet."
He studied her with a coldly smug expression.
"Is there something wrong?" he asked coolly.
Ava glared, her eyes reflecting coldness of his.
"Nothing that should concern your gracious attention," she said icily.

I watched on, completely confused at the sudden and abrupt change in the tension between the two. Zavius was catching on to whatever it was Ava was hiding.
"Sarvwen," I called, wanting to talk.
"I'm right here," he said from behind me.

I looked up at his face, expecting to see the same bewildered confusion I felt written on his face. But his expression was sober and weary.
He knows something...
I studied his face more, looking for any hints.
"Sarvwen, do you know something?"
Sarvwen glanced down at me briefly, looking wary. He didn't answer.
"Sarvwen," I said accusingly. "You know something, don't you?"

Sarvwen didn't show that he had heard for a long time. But then he sighed in defeat and reluctantly turned back at me.
"Yeah, I know what's wrong with Ava."
My mind gave a sickly jolt at what Sarvwen had just confirmed.
I was right; something's wrong with Ava.

I turned back to the tension between Ava and Zavius.
"Am I the only one that doesn't know?" I asked.
"No. Only Thya and I know. Though that's probably about to change very soon." he said hastily, glancing at Zavius anxiously and then back at me.
"And he isn't exactly taking it well. Just wait till he finds out what it actually is."
I was about to ask more but he cut in.
"Be patient; you'll find out from Ava soon enough, whether she wants to tell or not." he said.
He sighed again, shaking his head.
"I told you so," I thought he muttered.

A loud sharp noise of grinding metal returned my attention back to my two friends. Ava and Zavius were in a deadlock, their two weapons clashing against each other. Ava was being pushed down to the ground, her stance still defensive.
"Zavius! This isn't the time for this! Stop acting like a child!!" she spat through her teeth as she struggled.
Zavius scoffed, his eyes glowing dark emerald.
"Me? I'm the kid?!" he said in an incredulous tone.

He pushed against Ava's blade harder, bringing her closer to the floor. Ava eyes hardened and clenched her jaw, fighting back. Zavius smirked.
"'Stop acting like a child,' huh?" he jeered.
Energy surfaced into his Voice, piercing through the air in a hypnotic haze.
"Then stop treating me like one!!"

With a swift flick of his wrist, he turned his dagger's angle on Ava's katana. Another sharp flick, it was twisted out of Ava's grip and flung into the air. The blade came down and stuck into the ground smoothly, standing straight and rigid just a couple of yards away from the pair. Ava gave a sharp intake of breath as she lost her balance, falling backwards.
"Gotcha" Zavius muttered, and stabbed at her right shoulder.

Suddenly Ava perked, revived from her surrender. She twisted away from Zavius's attack and leaped into the air---and landed airily on his outstretched arm. Fluidly, she lowered herself closer to his arm, grasping his wrist with her left hand. As she sunk to a kneel, she pulled her right leg back and swung it around.

"Back off!!" she growled, her own voice slipping under the haze of her Angelic Lullaby.

Her foot collided soundly into the side of his face, knocking him back. The momentum of her kick carried her back to the ground, her body twisting away from Zavius. Without a loss of one second, she snapped her left leg back in a hind kick.

Her foot connected with Zavius's ribs before he could react. He flew---sailing through the air at great speed, before colliding against the stone wall a great distance away. He let out a loud grunt as he slid down and landed in a heap. Zavius struggled to get back on his feet as Ava heaved for air as she pulled herself into a readied posture. Zavius swayed on his feet and placed a hand gingerly on his side to heal his cracked ribs.
"Are you kidding me?" he muttered breathlessly, glaring darkly at Ava.
He lifted himself away from the wall and started to walk towards her.
"Why the hell are you holding back?"

Ava didn't answer as she returned his glare.
"That counter didn't have half the power of your regular attacks."

He straightened up and wiped his bottom lip on his sleeve. He winced slightly and frowned. And here I was, standing off to the side, sick with anxiety and dark suspension. But it was more than obvious that I was forgotten along with Sarvwen, Darvien and Zeik.
What was Zavius up to?
My thought was sidetracked by a creeping presence that came from behind me. I bristled and turned slowly. I nearly jumped a mile at the close proximity of Darvien and Zeik. Zeik was gaping with a shocked expression and Darvien was watching the tense 'battle' with a confused look but at the same time, with close attention.

"Whoa," Zeik breathed. "Why, uh... why are they trying to kill each other?"
Darvien glanced towards me with a confused expression that probably matched mine, before looking back to the tension between Zavius and Ava.
"I think the more proper question is; what's going on?"
I looked back to my friends.
"I wish I really knew myself." I muttered

Zavius stopped short and spoke out, his voice cold and demanding.
"Take up your weapon, Ava. And now, take me on seriously. I want a fair and square fight."

Ava didn't speak and kept a steady gaze at Zavius. She didn't look very happy; she even looked a bit trapped. But she went to where her katana had landed in the ground. She reached for the tsuka with her left hand...

A small streak of dark light flew across the floor and right at her. Ava withdrew her hand just in time to avoid a hit.
"Are you kidding me?" Zavius demanded.

Ava looked up at him with an irritated scowl. I turned to look at him too. Zavius was glaring daggers at Ava, cold and angry.
"I said I want a fair fight." he growled.
Ava clicked her tongue against her teeth.
"Who said I was holding back anything for your sake?"

Zavius let out a humorless laugh. He returned his dagger into his holster.
"Maybe you're not holding back for me, but for some other reason. Maybe, you're really not holding back at all." he said.
He gazed at her, all anger evaporated.
"If you're not holding back, then why aren't you using your dominant hand? Your combat arm or your usual stances?"

Ava stared hard at Zavius, her expression clouded. Then she loosened and gave him a weak, yielding motion with her left hand. She, too, sheathed her katana.
"You got me." she said grimly. "Game over."

Zavius didn't say anything; he only stared expressionlessly at Ava. Ava returned him the favor. I was anxious to know what was wrong with Ava.
I would have ran over to her and wrung her neck and squeeze it out of her, except I was afraid to damage her more than she was already.
Then Sarvwen came to mind.
He knew; why didn't he just tell me?! I was more than willing to wring his neck any day...

"I want to know when and what happened, exactly." Zavius commanded.
Ava's face remained blank as she responded.
"You were there; no need to review past events." she said evasively.
Zavius's eye's glinted emerald green.
"Ava," he demanded. "Tell us right now."

Ava bristled, and then looked at us. She looked more tired than ever. She sighed and turned away.
"I'll tell you, just not here---"
Suddenly, Ava seemed to twist around and both Ava and Zavius were gone in a flash.
"Where did she go?" Darvien asked.
"There, against the wall." Sarvwen said wearily, as if he knew this pattern of events.

And, well... I did to.
I turned in the direction he was pointing---and took off in a light jog.

And there was Ava, leaning against the wall, looking peeved. Not a foot away from her stood Zavius, looming over her. His hands were positioned on the wall on either side of her head, both of his arms snaring her in like a cage.
Ava scowled.
"You need to stop doing that every time I do something you don't like," she said.
Zavius's eyes were practically glowing.
"Ava," he growled.
"This can either be done the easier way, or I'll force it out of you,"
Ava scoffed.
"No need for so much drama and pain, Zavius. It's not like I killed someone." she said irritated. "I'll give you what you want to know, just not... out in the public viewing."
Zavius looked at her before he gave up and closed his eyes, fuming.
"Fine. If this is the way you want to fix things," he said in a hard tone.

Ava’s gaze hardened as she scowled at the ground.
"Ava, let me see your right arm."
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh... was that a bit corny to you?
I don't know, it seems like it a bit, but all will be explained why the characters act the way they do...

Well anyways, any complaints, just comment here please...

My other story, Frozen Phoenix is going well, I think, so if you have time or interest, please check it out! It's connected to this one, so I think you'd like this too. =)

Readers, I enjoy every little comments you can give me... it really makes my day. =)
I really, really hope you liked...

~K