Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 3: Troubles Ahead

Mivian looked up at the night sky as the dark hues cascaded rapidly like a curtain across the sky.
Her mood had receded and left her tired and empty. She strolled through the streets of Stranaglastre aimlessly, trying to clear her stressful mind. The activity on the streets comforted her strangely. Markets were closing up, the houses were filling with laughter and the street lamps were being lit. A group of children ran past Mivian, squealing and yelling as they shoved each other down the cobblestone street. She smiled to herself. This city has done its magic. She continued down the road, her mind full of thoughts. Bars were crowded and the cheerful, loud music and songs spilled out from the door. Here was the place where she felt in place. In this world, she was equal. In this city, she shared everyones story. She stopped for a moment and looked at the deep night sky. Millions of stars blinked down at her and the words from her close friend floated to her mind.

If we dedicate ourselves for others, someday, we could be up there with everyone else...

Mivian's mind went back to the group of children she saw a bit earlier. Sad questions floated through her mind.

How long have they been here?
How long ago was it when they lost it all?

She let out her breath and shook her head. To get here in the first place, they have lost more than enough. Humans, demons, spirits, and lone souls... all alike have found a new start here. Mivian closed her eyes, reaching up and pulling out the tie holding her hair up. Her hair fell down to her shoulders in smooth ribbons. Running her fingers through her silky-blond hair, feeling a little relaxed.

A strong breeze blew suddenly, and Mivian realized she had wandered off a bit further than she had planned to. Cursing to herself, she turned back in the direction she came from and started walking, her feet clicking on the stone street. After a few moments, she came to a halt.

She had no idea where she was.

She looked around her, bewildered.
How is this possible? I take a walk in this city-state so often...and HOW DID I TAKE A DIFFERENT PATH?!

Her thoughts reeled in confusion as she took a random turn on the street into an alleyway and colliding into someone. Mivian's reflexes snapped up and she jumped back, creating a distance with whoever she had ran into. She looked up and saw a pair of silver-blue eyes staring at her.

"Oh, sorry...sorry." she mumbled. "I'm not really focused right now..."

She heard a laugh, masculine but a light one that sounded like bells. Immediately, she was entranced, half of her loving the sound, and the other sensing something was off the line. Mentally slapping herself, she snapped out of the feeling.

"No worries miss," that masculine tone answered.

The man stepped out of the shadows, coming towards her. Mivian found herself steadying into a stance.
Something was not normal, but what? She looked behind the man and saw three more men in the shadows, all leaning casually against the wall.

"Um, right then, I have to go, sorry..."

She nodded at the men and brushed passed them, when someone grabbed her hand. She wheeled around and saw that it was the man she had ran into. Quickly, she yanked her hand out of his, feeling uneasy. His eyes glistened slightly and he smirked, sending chills down her spine.

"Don't be sorry, stay with us for a while..." he crooned.

He was unnaturally handsome, she realized. She felt the entrancing sensation coming over her and she forced her mind to focus.

What is he? What are THEY? She thought, looking back at his companions. To her horror, they had stepped out of the alleyway, closing in on her.

"What..."

Mivian's head snapped back to the first man and he, too, had inched closer.

"Stay with us for a while..."

He reached out to her. That's when she felt the tingling sensation on her skin when a dark form of Energy hit her full force. She gasped.

She had run into a gang of demons.

The hand came close to her face and touched her hair. She ducked under the arm, spun on her heel, and dove through between the other three demons. She glared back at them and saw them staring after her with excitement.

"Not in a million years." she said and bounded down the alley.

She ran as fast as she could. Not knowing where she was going, she turned at random corners, hoping to lose them. She still had energy to fight one, but four? That was beyond pushing it. Her legs were burning and her lungs were ready to burst.

Mivian took another right---and stopped dead in her tracks.

On the other end of the alley, she saw two tall figures. She could see their silver-blue eyes glistening from where she was. She turned to go back and saw the three companions of the demon she ran into. Her blood nearly froze. She spun around, looking everywhere around her.

Where is HE? Where is the leader?

"Looking for someone, love?" asked a smooth bell-like voice from behind her, his breath brushing against her neck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, that was a wee bit short.

But bear with me!! It gets better!!!