Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 30: Something in the Fog

Mivian's POV

The night came down over Grisavaille fast, casting the whole town in dark under its starless sky. The air cooled and settled in a dense fog over the vacant streets. Not a sound disturbed the eerie silence that suddenly seemed to have taken a solid form over the whole area, filling up the breathing space.

Where the hell was everybody?
I breathed in deeply and silently blew out a long stream of air, starting up the sinking fog. The fog rolled and danced around my knees, completely hiding my footing. The dark eerie silence and the empty streets was a scene straight out of a horror movie. The fog was the perfect finish to the whole touch.
Quietly, I shifted in the shadow of the dark alleyway I was hiding in and peered around. It was close by; I could feel it. My skin prickled as adrenaline pumped through my veins.

This is what I lived for; the real hunt.
A Night Mare...I haven't hunted those in ages!! Finally something that was worth getting excited for.
I reached down to the holster belted to my thigh and fingered the silver dagger. Tightly secured to my waist was my trusty white flintlock pistol, the slight weight of the weapon sat on my hip in a reassuring pressure.
Come on...come out already!!

The skin on the back of the neck tingled uncomfortably. Instinctively, I flicked the pistol into my hand and wheeled around. The alley was dark and empty. I frowned, not lowering my weapon on bit.
Someone was watching my every move. I remembered back to when I felt the same thing at the old orphanage just a while back.
Did someone follow me here?
Impossible; I flash-stepped half of the way here. Besides, I’m invisible to most humans; and where were these humans?
I took a step deeper into the alley. A soft feminine laughter echoed in the dark cold tone from somewhere out on the street. I turned around just in time to see a wispy dark figure slip around the corner in a gliding stride. But it was not a figure of a Night Mare.
"What the---" I started, but then caught myself.
Why does it matter? It's just another enemy; big deal. The problem was where was the Night Mare?
Without another moment wasted, I shot out of my cover and after my target. The creature let out another chilling laugh, not slowing down as it glided through the thick fog with flowing grace. I followed silently, the fog snapping at my trench coat. Suddenly, there was a loud crashing sound coming from somewhere behind me. I stopped and looked over my shoulder.
Nothing...the thick fog made it impossible for me to see anything. Maybe something was following me...
Another feminine laugh echoed from the dark, returning my attention to my hunt. Ignoring my nagging conscience, I slipped around the corner and turned back to the pursuit. I have to focus...
I turned another corner and cut through a dark space between two buildings after my mysterious target.

Why does it keep running?

I was already in another part of town, no longer in the living community. There were tall brick buildings on every street I ran, all of them dark and empty. Something didn't feel right. I slowed down and skidded to a halt. The creature disappeared around another corner and into the shadows, letting out another one of its hollow laugh. I had a sick feeling, this skin-crawling sensation that something was stirring in the dark, slowly waking. I looked around, studying my surroundings. The buildings around me stood in the gloomy shadow, looking empty and lifeless.
Office buildings, I thought, realizing that I was in the working community of Grisavaille.
There was one problem: Where was everybody?

Cautiously I approached a nearby window and peered in through the dust and grime. All I saw was dark shapes of broken furniture, office desks and chairs knocked over onto their side. I squinted, struggling to see past the filthy glass. It was obvious this place wasn't maintained or even used anymore. Wallpaper was shredded off and left hanging on the moldy walls, revealing cracked, crumbling plaster. Trash and debris were scattered all over the floor, leaving the whole place looking like an aftermath of a hurricane.

What was going on? This is wrong; way too wrong.

Silently, I pulled away from the window and made my way along the brick wall. I turned a corner into a dark alley, and saw an exit way on the side of the building. Without making a sound, I slipped through the shadows and to the door. The door was thick and heavy, and painted grey on the outside surface. The paint was chipping and the hinges were red with rust. I sucked in a deep breath as I grasped the handle of the door… and pulled.
The door didn't budge. I frowned, and gave the door another mighty tug.
Nothing.
I stepped back and searched along the tall brick wall around the door. There were no windows on this side of the wall at ground level, and the closest window was about 30 feet up.
Maybe I can climb up there...
If only there was some sort of pipes or something running vertical along the wall...

Something dark protruding from the wall in the far end caught the corner of my eye. I turned, and approached the sharply shaped shadow.
"Sweet," I hissed, pleased.
It was the emergency fire escape ladder. Obviously easier than shimmying up a drainpipe.
A pipe...wow, honestly. What was I thinking?

Slightly chuckling to myself, I jumped up and managed to take hold of the bottom bar of the folded ladder. Being the short self I am, I still had to jump just to reach the ladder. But no matter; it was nothing.
Ha, take that Zavius. The Midget Mivi takes a point.

Quickly, I moved up the ladder and onto the first grid platform. My footing was silent as I made my way to the window. Not taking any risks, I pressed my back against the wall, blending into the shadow. Swiftly, I slipped along the wall until the window was in within reach of an arms length.
Almost there...just one step---

A cold, feminine laugh echoed into the night, the sound strangely so close...

A jolt of cold shot through me and I looked up. There on the edge of the opposite wall, stood a willowy dark figure of a tall woman, her frame thin and almost translucent. Even though I couldn't see her face, she seemed to be looking at me.
One glance at her and I knew she wasn't human.
"There you are," I murmured to myself.
The creature didn't move for a long time. Then, suddenly, it fell back, gliding out of my view.
"Vardavit!" I hissed, and jumped up to the next platform.
I kept on climbing, skipping from one platform to the next until I reached the roof. Then, I took off, leaping over to the other building after the target. The Dark Creature let out another echoing laugh, before plunging over the edge of the rooftop.

"Argh, damn!" I growled to myself, and jumped after it.
I fell into the dark, the air whipping my trench coat up in a wild flare. The ground came quickly, and I landed in a soft crouch with a slightest sound. Not wasting another second, I shot up from the ground and started to sprint. Tall buildings were lined up in every street I turned, all of them dark and vacant. The air seemed darker and even more eerie as I continued after the mysterious creature.
Something was wrong; I knew this feeling in my gut. But one thing at a time; I had a Hunt right in front of me I had to take care of.
My target slipped around another corner with its chilling laugh. Again, I followed, not allowing it one chance to get out of my sight.

Except this time I skidded to a halt as soon as I saw what was looming in front of me.
"Oh joy," I muttered, a feeling of dread already moving into my core.
I looked up and read the tilted, rusted sign that hung on the vine covered wall.
"Ludwyn Memorial Medical,"
The old broken down hospital was seemingly vacant, like all the other buildings I had seen so far. But just the look of this place sent chills down my spine. Maybe it was the fact that numbers of humans entered those doors and never came out, or the fact that many suffered within those closed walls. Whatever it was I didn't like it.

The hospital building was dark like all the other buildings, but it seemed to have a different air to it...almost swarming with a Dark Energy.
I watched with creeping dread as I saw the willowy figure glide right up to the hospital building and disappear to the back around the side.
"Of all places, it had to be here..." I muttered.

* * * * * * *

The sliding door gave a deep groan of protest as I pushed it aside. The glass was coated with an inch of grime and dust, making it impossible to look through. The cool night air rushed in through the open door, blowing the dry, musty smell right into my face. The breeze echoed into the empty space, ringing in a hollow moan. I took a deep breath and shook the chills off of my muscles. Without another moment's pass, I took a step into the endless dark.
Slowly and carefully, I made my way deeper into the hospital. There were no lights, and the scattered articles of funitures made it difficult for me to make my way across the floor. I stopped where ever I was and relaxed.

It would be suicide to go on like this. Slowly, I relaxed and focused on my Pulse. My skin tingled warmly, and then the heat sunk down into my core. I closed my eyes, and I focused...
I opened my eyes, and smiled.
Ah...that's much better.

My vision was a whole lot better, now that Energy was focused to my eyes in careful doses. The down side was now I was exposed to even human eyes. I didn’t know how to trigger my 7th Sense or anything else that may have been more useful. Eh, didn't seem like anyone was in this place anyway.
Again, I resumed my way, much faster and at ease than before. As I went along, I looked around. The place itself looked pretty modern and up to date technology-wise. And the oddest thing of all, it didn't seem to be too long since this place was emptied. I approached what I recognized to be the front desk. Cautiously I stepped closer and looked over the counter. It was empty, but fully set with the desk computer and printer. Odd...why would they leave everything here? It was obvious this hospital was no longer running. I leaped over the counter and searched the area.
Nothing...no form of life here.
Then, I turned back to the computer. Curious, I pressed the Power key. The monitor lit up, the computer buzzing to life.
So it does work...
I stood there, waiting for the computer to warm up. Maybe there was something left, some data I can work with to explain all the weird things I saw.

The computer gave a loud beep, and the screen filled with different files. I gave one glance at the first file before jolting in my spot.
"What the hell it this?" I cried in a low voice.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, if you want, just comment here please...
All comments will be very much appreciated.

~K