Status: NEEDS REWRITING

***NEED WORK

Chapter 6: A Promise of Betrayal?

"Ava?"
Mivian felt relief and surprise pumping through her veins, leaving her lightheaded and shaky all over.
Ava closed her eyes, relaxed a bit and straightened up into a stand. With a swift flick of her wrist, she flipped the blade in her hand, turning the hilt towards Mivian. Mivian blinked, staring at the silver dagger.
That was supposed to be in my heart...
Reality struck her hard as she realized how close she was to death. Also, many thoughts ran through her head, making it almost impossible for her to think straight.
Why am I so beaten up?
Why am I losing to this weak demon?
Why am I so weak?

She was a proud Slayer of the Four Gates Union, she was capable of fighting. But why was she losing here?
...was she not good enough to be a Slayer?

Mivian felt dizzy and sick at that thought.
"Get a grip, Mivian. Stop gaping like a damn fish and take your dagger." Ava muttered, clicking her tongue in annoyance.
Mivian snapped out of her vertigo and looked up at her friend. Ava was scowling slightly, her expression stern. But her annoyance didn't reach her eyes; she was looking at her with a gaze filled with concern. A sudden thought sprung to her mind at the observation.

She's trying to distract me from my thoughts... she realized.

Mivian forced herself to swallow her emotions down. Gingerly and shakily, her fingers reached out and touched the smooth metal. She grasped the dagger hesitantly by the hilt, the weight and density of it felt almost completely foreign in her palm. Mivian licked her parched lips and released her breath she found herself holding in. She peered up at Ava, who gave her a reassuring nod in return.
Someone cleared their throat loudly, breaking the silence. The two Slayers turned to Valton, who looked slightly peeved at Ava's intrusion.
"So...Mivian, is it? May I call you 'Miv' for short?" he asked sarcastically. "Oh, and do you care to introduce me to your friend and savior?"
"No, not really." Mivian snorted back. "And it's Mivian. Mi-vi-an."
Valton raised an eyebrow.
"Oh, it that so? But I'm so curious..."

He trailed off, his eyes flickering towards Ava. His eyes roamed up and down her body before meeting her icy glare. He smirked at her as if to charm her. Ava gave no response. She just stood there with her arms crossed, obvious not amused. She tilted her head side to side, cracking her neck. She gave no evidence of really paying attention to catching anything Valton was saying.
If she had been in any other situation and in better condition than she was in right now, Mivian probably would have laughed at Valton's ego as it dropped couple of good notches. She spoke out, cutting the heavy silence.
"I don't think she's interested in what you have to offer. She's not into the cheaper-than-trash types." she said in a falsely bright tone.
She heard Ava let out an exasperated sigh as she shook her head tiredly. Mivian was almost 100% sure she had rolled her eyes. Valton's eyes flashed, the silver color of his irises whirling. He kept his sly smirk pasted to his face. After a short glance towards her way he turned back to Ava.
"So, Mivian's companion, do grace me with an honor of knowing the name of such lovely being," he crooned softly.
Mivian practically gagged with disgust at Valton's attempts to flirt with Ava. She could practically picture Ava's scowl growing edgier, either from the irritation or disgust. Maybe both.
"Why?" Ava asked irritably, not really sounding like she cared for an answer.
Valton smiled tightly, taking another damaging hit to his ego.
"Darling, I only---"
"Stop calling me ridiculous pet names, demon. I'm no darling to anyone in existence." Ava said darkly, her hand finding the tsuka of her katana.

Mivian felt slightly tense as she watched her friend oppose Valton.
She has no patience with him, she noted. She's cautious... What are you thinking, Ava?
Mivian was bemused. For Ava to be acting like this--- taking on a minor demon as a serious enemy--- she must have figured something out that Mivian herself couldn't see. But what was it?
Can't keep up with the Union's great mystery prodigy, she thought as Valton let out a tired sigh.
"So you won't tell me your name?"
Ava didn't speak or move. Her stare only seemed to grow colder.
"Oh I see... Silent treatment?" Valton feigned a shudder and chuckled.
Then his eyes slowly turning back to Mivian.

That was when Ava did something Mivian didn't expect.
Just as Valton's gaze reached Mivian, Ava stepped to the side, shielding Mivian from his view.
The demon's face flashed an expression of annoyance and surprise before regaining his composure. He snickered, raising an eyebrow at Ava.
"Jealous are we? Don't worry, I still have an eye for you," he said.
Ava didn't respond, her defensive stance practically screaming anger.
He mused at her silence, going on.
"First though, Miv. Where were we?"
Mivian craned her neck around Ava and glared.
"The part where I tear you to shreds, limb by limb," she snarled.
Valton returned the glare, his eyes wide with amusement and thrill.
"Not quite, love. It's the other way around." he said laughing. Then, he suddenly became sober.
"Miv, I know I said that I was going to take you, but unfortunately for you, I lost interest."
"Oh my, what a disappointment." Mivian spat, forcing herself up.
She grabbed Ava's arm and pulled herself up to a stand. Ava didn't seem to mind, and held her by her elbow to support her. Mivian lightly bounced her dagger in her hand.
"Ava, I'm going to rip his organs out and drain him. Let me do this, he won't know what hit him!" she hissed menacingly to Ava.
"Don't be stupid. Your Pulse is barely there. It's suicide." Ava muttered, stealing a glance at her.
Mivian scowled, annoyed.
"I could beat him! Don't you believe in me?" she pressed on hopelessly, trying to break her in.
Ava gave her another exasperated sigh.
"Mivian, you can hardly stand on your own. And you're shaking."
Mivian looked down at her hands. Indeed, they were shaking, the tremors getting more violent. She clamped her hands around the hilt of her dagger, fighting to still her hand. The dagger wavered in her hands.
A cool hand landed on her shaking ones, stopping the tremors instantly. She looked up and saw Ava give her a look of confidence and assurance.
"Be at ease, Mivian. I believe you are strong, but know your limits." she said.

"What is there to believe in that thing?" Valton cried incredulously.
He smirked at the cold glares he received. He clicked his tongue and tsk-tsked at them.
"You can believe this: your Mivian wouldn't be worth believing in when I'm through with her."

Ava's eyes narrowed and grew hard. Valton let out a maniacal laugh, his eyes glowing tauntingly in the dark. Mivian felt her temper flare.
"Ava... I'm going to fight him and I am going to kill him!" she roared.
She stepped away from Ava, pulling away from her supportive grip.
"Don't even think about stopping me! I don't need your help either!" she growled at her friend. She went on. "This is my fight and you have no right to stop me! Got it loud and clear?"
Ava sighed frustratedly and gave her a worn look.
"Alright."

Mivian froze, not sure if she heard right. She was preparing herself for the next part of the argument, readying to just attack without her approval anyway,
"'Alright'? Simply 'alright'? You won't stop me?"
"No," Ava said, her eyes never leaving Valton. Her tone was serious, not giving anything away.
Mivian continued to stare at her, confusion reeling in her stomach.
"You promise?" she asked, can't help the feeling of betrayal.
Ava glance at Mivian once before turning back to Valton.
"In the name of the Divine and Order of the Four Gates Guardians, I shall be bound by my words of oath, or face the Justice that shall be owed." she vowed.

Mivian was speechless. That was a Slayer's Oath, bound by the strength of Loyalty. Not even the Sir Elder Ravador can cheat that one.
Why do I feel so betrayed? she thought.

A cruel laugh brought me back down to reality.
"See, Mivian. Even your friend here sees that you're a hopeless case." Valton crackled. "You're not worth her disappointment or her loyalty..."
With that he stepped towards the two, reaching forward.
In one fluid motion that was almost too fast to see, Ava had her katana drawn and whipped out to the side, the blade whistling through the air and glinting menacingly.
"Take another step, I dare you," she snarled.

Mivian swallowed her sense of betrayal.
"Ava, you vowed," she warned.
Ava didn't answer, her glare stabbing daggers at Valton.
"Ava." Mivian repeated firmly and louder.

Valton barked out a short laugh.
"So, Ava, not sure what to have faith in?" Valton stabbed into the conversation arrogantly.
Ava scowled in annoyance. He smiled flashing his teeth. He turned to Mivian.
"You are weak. Nothing should have faith in something so pathetic. But I'll give you one last thing you can have faith in," he said, pulling out Mivian's pistol again from his pocket.

He licked his lips hungrily, his eyes taking on a new glint.
"You would be reduced to a pile of broken pieces before you can manage to count to---"

There was a sudden gust of Energy, slamming into Mivian at full-force that nearly blew her off her feet. She didn't have time to react. She saw Valton's eyes widen with pure shock. Then she saw something silver glinting, its sharp edge pressing into his throat.

Ava stood behind Valton, her katana blade resting at the base of his throat.
"Three," she murmured darkly, and with another quick motion she whipped the blade away from his throat and slashed down at his back.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Zavius sheathed his dagger back into its scabbard and whistled to himself.
Five wasn't a big enough number; he didn't even break a sweat. He looked around, his five demons lying broken on the street.
"Too easy," he thought out loud.
But then again, he did have a promise to keep. He was sure Ava had found Mivian by now, and that they were both doing fine. There was only one thing left to do.

Zavius kneeled down to the ground and focused on his Energy Pulse. He focused on each warm surging Pulse, letting the Energy swallow his body. He took a deep breath, and started to cast the Ward. Starting slowly, and then quickly, his fingers traced the Ward's circular shape and contour three times before pressing his palms into the ground.

"Scelus Ruo," he murmured.

The Ward glowed before sinking into the ground where each demon laid, swallowing them. The light retreated back into the ground, leaving a now empty town square.

Zavius got up, slapping dirt off his hands.
Clean up was over. He wheeled around on his heel and started towards the opposite direction.

Somewhere in the distance a shriek pierced through the air, sending chills down his spine. He turned, scowling grouchily in annoyance.
"Well, nice to know someone is having fun," he mumbled, and flashed out of sight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading!!

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE IT!! PLEASE!!!

Comment and subscribe, please!