Status: Finished

Better Than That

Meeting the Best

“Seriously Jon, we are going to miss our plane.” I yelled up the stairs.

“I am coming.” He yelled right back down to me as he descended the stairs. The past month went by surprisingly fast. Now we had a four day break for Christmas and Jon was coming home with me because his parents decided to go on a cruise for Christmas.

“So Jon are you ready to meet the rest of the family?” I questioned as we boarded the plane.

“It shouldn’t be that bad.” He said causing me to choke on the water I was drinking.

“Yeah, not that bad, just about 50 more of my brothers.” I said putting in my headphones, which he immediately pulled out.

“Wait 50 more?” he asked in shock.

“Well yeah, this year the people at Christmas dinner is totaling 89.” I smiled.

“Yeah, I think I am just going to drive to Buffalo for Christmas then.” He smirked.

“Well then have fun with the Kane’s.” I said.

“Yeah, I probably would be better off staying at your house.” He smiled before putting in his headphones and turning on his i-pod as I did the same.

“Jayje, we’ve landed, it’s time to get up.” Jon shook me as I slowly woke up. I got up and grabbed my bag as and exited the plane and headed to the luggage area.

“Hey Jay, look at those two people over there.” Jon said pointing to girl and a guy holding up a sign that says who they are picking up. The girls sign said Traitor while the guys sign said Loser and they both wore Sabres hats and had on identical smirks.

“That’s our ride” I smiled.

“What do you mean our ride?” Jon questioned but I just took his hand and lead him over to the two people.

“Amber, Justin” I said rather loudly to get their attention.

“Jayden” they said at the same time giving me a big hug.

“Hey, guys this is Jon” I said after a few seconds of the hug. “Jon, this is Amber, and Justin, my cousins.”

“Hey, Amber, hey Justin.” He said sticking out his hand to shake theirs.

“Oh hey Jonathan.” They said rudely at the same time causing Jon to drop his hand and back off.

“Guys be nice, he isn’t the one that caused me to go to Chicago.”

“No, but he is still the enemy, and so are you but you are related so we can’t hold that against you completely.” They said at the same time.

“That’s true,” I smiled.

“Oh, and your mom has a surprise for you.” They said once again at the same time as we grabbed our bags off of the machine.

“And what would that be?” I questioned.

“You’ll see, and I would change out of those Blackhawk clothes for the surprise.” They said together nodding at my Blackhawks hoodie. Jon just gave me a worried look.

“Oh stop being so captain serious.” I whispered to him before we climbed into the car.

“So Jon, are you a robot?” Amber and Justin asked.

“Um, no?” he said completely confused.

“Are you sure about that?” they asked as they turned onto 390 south. I gave him a just
answer the question look.

“I am positive.” He said still completely confused.

“Well a robot would say that, so we will see for ourselves.” They said and smirked.

“Why do you think I am a robot?” Jon questioned trying to get some answers.

“Because you don’t seem to have any emotions, you’re always so serious, only robots have no emotions.” They said once again together.

“First off, I have emotions. Secondly do you always speak like that?”

“What do you mean by ‘speak like that’?” they asked together.

“The creepy speaking at the same time thing.” He said causing all of Justin, Amber and I to laugh.

“What?” he questioned.

“Justin and Amber are twins, and ever since they have been able to talk they have spoken at the same time, we call it the twin telepathy most days but we have gotten used to it.”

“Wait, this happens all the time then?”

“You bet loser” Justin and Amber said at the same time.

“This is going to be an interesting Christmas.” Jon mumbled as we pulled into my parent’s driveway.

“You got that right loser.” The twins said together.

“Are you ever going to stop calling me loser?” Jon asked getting out of the car.

“Good question are you ever going to play for the Buffalo Sabres?” they asked right back without answering.

“I don’t think so, but I am not sure.” He said.

“Then probably not but we are not completely sure.” They smiled back before walking into the house.

“Well two down a million more to go.” He smiled slightly at me.

“That’s the spirit.” I said smiling. “Welcome to my home.” I said as I took my hand and headed inside out of the cold.

“Jayden.” My mom said running over to me and Jon and giving both Jon and I a huge hug.

“Hey mom.” I smiled as I grabbed a piece of strawberry off of the fruit platter and she swatted my hand away.

“Hi, baby girl, hi Jon.” She said. “Why don’t you bring your bags up to your room.” She said.

“So where is Jon going to sleep?” I asked.

“Oh, um we thought he would just sleep in your room, the guest bedrooms are already taken.” She paused. “If that’s alright with you.”

“Sure ma.” I smiled slightly.

“Good, when you get upstairs change out of that Blackhawks sweatshirt, I laid out your
outfits for the surprise tonight.” She smiled mischievously at us.

“Thank you?” I said before bringing my bag up the stairs.

“Why am I worried about the surprise?” Jon asked me.

“Because you have to take off your beloved Blackhawks stuff and wear whatever my mom put out for you.” I said nervously as well as I opened up the door to my room. On my bed were two [url=http://www.polyvore.com/jon_jayden_surprise_outfits/set?id=41875458] outfits.

“Well that’s not as bad as I thought it would be.” He said picking up the elf hat and putting it on.

“Yeah, but this meant for the Sabres game tonight.” I smirked.

“What do you mean the Sabres game tonight?” he questioned.

“I mean the Sabres game we are going to with my family.”

“I have to wear this hat to the Sabres game?” he asked.

“Yup, it’s to try and cover up who you are.” I said as my door opened.

“Besides Jon all the guys are wearing elf hats and all the girls are wearing the Sabres Santa Hats.” Grayson said coming and sitting down on my bed with Kyle.

“Come right in Gray make yourself at home.” I said as I shoved him.

“I will thank you.”

“So I take it you two are doing well.” I noticed as Kyle snuggled into Grayson’s side.

“Yeah” she blushed, while Gray kissed her head.

“Oh, by the way Mom wanted me to let you know linner is ready.” He said getting up. “And please take that Shit off and put on the cool jersey before you come down.” He laughed as he left.

“Linner is ready?” Jon asked confused.

“Lunch and dinner, when we go to games we eat linner because it is too early to eat dinner but too late to eat lunch.”

“Makes sense.” He said as he stripped off his shirt and put on his new on. “So Jay are when are we going to tell your family about us?” he asked as he continued to change.

“I was planning on telling them at linner.” I said. “If that is alright with you?”

“If that is alright with me, I don’t know how much longer I can go without kissing you.” He smirked.

“Well, I don’t see anybody around now.” I flirted.

“Oh really” he said as he leaned down and kissed me fully on the lips.

“Jayden, Jon, come on we need to eat now so we can leave.” My father yelled up the stairs.

“Be right down.” I said pulling away from Jon and putting my Sabres Santa hat on.

“That look does not suit you.” Jon said as we left my room.

“Oh yeah, what would suit me better? A Toews jersey?” I shot back.

“Yeah.” He said simply.

“Well as long as I am home I am going to wear my Roy jersey proudly.” I stated firmly.

“We’ll see about that.” He said as we got down to the kitchen.

“Nice for you guys to join us.” Brayden said.

“Nice to see you too Bray.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” He said as we all started to fill our plates with food. When linner was almost over, Jon grabbed my hand in order to remind me to tell my family about us.

“Oh by the way” I started knowing that was the way to freak out my family and I was right. Every single person dropped their forks and gave me a worried look. “I have news.”

“Are you preggers?” Keegan asked.

“No.” I said.

“Were you promoted?” Logan asked.

“No.”

“Have you moved out of Jon’s place?” Grayson asked.

“No.”

“Did you beat someone up?” Zander asked.

“No.”

“Do you now work for the Sabres?” Brayden asked.

“No.”

“Then what is this news that you have?” they all asked.

“Well I have a boyfriend.” I said trying to not look at anyone of them in the eyes. Jon squeezed my hand in reassurance.

“That’s your big news?” Zander questioned.

“Yeah, you’re not surprised or wondering who you have to beat up?” I asked shocked at their reactions.

“Surprisingly, no, but if your boyfriend is not Toews then yes.” Logan stated.

“How did you know?” I asked.

“Really, is that even a question?” Brayden asked.

“Probably not.” I said looking over at Jon.

“By the way Jonathan, if you ever hurt her you’re never going to be able to play hockey again.” Grayson said with a smile.

“I promise not to hurt her.” He said and then blushed “I love her too much for that.” He leaned over and kissed my cheek.

“Well that’s good, but enough with all that mushy stuff it’s time to leave for the game.” Keegan said getting up from the table.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

“Who’s going to win the game tonight?” Brayden yelled excitedly as we left Jayden’s driveway.

“The Sabres are going to win tonight.” They all chanted and then broke out singing the Good Old Hockey Game.

“Hio! Hio!” Grayson started another chant.

Everybody else joined in. “We’re off to win we go. We shoot, we pass, we hit some glass. Hio! Hio! Hio!” Then they started singing the hockey song.

“Miiiillllleeeeerrr” Keegan said drawn out.

“Time” everybody else said and kept repeating it for a few minutes before they started singing Living on a Prayer.

“If he shoots.” Logan started.

“He shall scooooore.” Everyone else said.

“There shall be a day.” Logan continued.

“In May” everyone followed.

“Thy cookies shall be,” Logan went on.

“On the top shelf.” Everyone just went along.

“The highlight film shall be.”

“Rolled.”

“Oooooovertime shall be.” Logan started to get louder.

“Gone too.” They followed his loudness.

“These guys shall be…”

“Good.”

“And the good shall be…” Logan screamed.

“Scary Good.” Everyone finished and cheered. I just laughed before they started singing I wanna drive the Zamboni.

Then Zander pulled out a book called the Sabres Bible. “Verse 26, Thou shall not doubt Thomas.”

“Amen” everyone else said.

“Verse 57, let there be height.” Zander said the next verse.

“Amen” everyone said again.

“Verse 36, thou shalt keep thy head up.” Zander said lifting his head up higher.

“Amen”

“Verse 2.22, thou shalt exist to with the cup.” Zander said pulling out a miniature Stanley Cup.

“Amen”

“Verse 30, all that appear before him shall be saved.” Zander said pulling out a goalie mask.

“Amen”

“Verse 42, and the meek shall inherit the ice.”

“Amen”

“Verse 29, go forth and populate.” Zander said.

“Amen.” They said before singing Hit Somebody.

Jayden cleared her throat when they were done singing. “I don’t know what to say, really. Three minutes till the biggest battle of our professional lives all comes down to today. Now either we heal as a team or we’re gonna crumble, inch by inch, play by play, ‘til we’re finished. We’re in hell right now, gentlemen, believe me. And, we can stay here, get the shit kicked out of us or we can fight our way back into the light. We can climb outta hell one inch at a time. Now, I can’t do it for you. I’m too old. I look around. I see these young faces, and I think, I mean, I made every wrong choice a middle-aged man can make. I, uh, I pissed away all my money, believe it or not. I chased off anyone who’s ever loved me. And lately, I can’t even stand the face I see in the mirror. You know, when you get old in life things get taken from you. I mean that’s part of life. But, you only learn that when you start losing stuff. You find out life’s this game of inches. So is hockey. Because in either game, life or hockey, the margin for error is so small, I mean one-half a step too late, or too early, and you don’t quite make it. One-half second too slow, too fast, you don’t quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They’re in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team, we fight for that inch. On this team, we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch, because we know when we add up all those inches that’s gonna make the fuckin’ difference between winning and losing! Between livin’ and dyin’! I’ll tell you this: In any fight, it’s the guy who’s willing to die who’s gonna win that inch. And I know if I’m gonna have any life anymore, it’s because I’m still willin’ to fight and die for that inch. Because that’s what livin’ is! The six inches in front of your face! Now I can’t make you do it. You got to look at the guy next to you. Look into his eyes! Now I think you’re gonna see a guy who will go that inch with you. You’re gonna see a guy who will sacrifice himself for this team because he knows, when it comes down to it, you’re gonna do the same for him! That’s a team, gentleman! And, either we heal, now, as a team, or we will die as individuals. That’s hockey guys. That’s all it is. Now, what are you gonna do?” she finished of the speech.

“We are gonna fight for every inch.” Everyone yelled and then sang the Sabres remix of Blue and yellow.

“Did you guys have that timed?” I asked as we pulled into a parking lot outside the First Niagara Center as they finished the Blue and Yellow song. I didn’t get an answer, all I got was a smirk from Jayden to confirm it.

We got out of the car and started to head to the arena and I took her hand but she pulled it away. I looked over at her confused and a little hurt but she gave a reassuring smile before starting a chant with her brothers. “Oh, ah Sabres on the warpath.” They chanted all the way into the arena.

I kept getting weird glances from people as we sat in our seats right at the glass where the Sabres warm up. But I didn’t pay any attention to them, instead I just sipped my beer and waited for the game to begin.

“Jon, you okay?” Jayden asked.

“Yeah I was just thinking about how I haven’t been to an NHL game to just watch since I was 13. It’s nice to be able to sit here and enjoy the game and the atmosphere not caring who wins or loses.” She gave me a look.

“Ok so I want the Sabres to win so you can be happy but I am not in charge of how they play and what they do.” I said and she smiled.

“So that means tonight we have to capture the moments.” Jayden said taking out her camera and holding it out in front of her and snapping a couple shots. One was of us smiling and the other was us sticking our tongues out at the camera. During warm-ups I stole the camera from Jayden and snapped a picture before she noticed, it was defiantly my favorite picture ever, she was just staring intensely at the ice with a content look on her face.

I couldn’t look at that picture too long because there was a tap on the glass and I looked up and Derek Roy stood in front of me, and raised his shoulders asking what I was doing here. I just pointed at Jayden who looked like she was star struck. Derek gave me a nod before turning back to his warm-ups.

“Wow Jay, you weren’t like that when you met the Blackhawks.” I stated at her still shocked face.

“Yeah well you guys are the Blackhawks.” She said smiling at me.

“What is that supposed to mean?” I asked acting hurt.

“It means the Sabres are way cooler than the Blackhawks.” She grinned at me.

“Ouch babe, way to stab me in the heart.” I joked.

“Stop being a crybaby or I will start calling you Sidney Crosby.” She said.

“Alright, alright I will stop.” I said as the players left the ice.

Text from Derek Roy

What are you doing here man?

Oh you know my girlfriend is a huge Sabres fan and her parents got all the kids and their
significant others Sabres tickets for tonight’s game.


Your girlfriend has good taste in hockey teams, and players minus you.

I have to agree to disagree.

Why don’t you bring her down to the locker room after the game?

We have to stick with her brothers there our ride.

Are they Sabres fans?

Diehard

Then bring them too.

Will do. Good luck tonight. I quickly responded before looking up and seeing Jayden watching me.

“What?” I questioned.

“I didn’t mean to look but were you really just texting Derek Roy?” she asked.

“Yeah, he is a fellow Canadian, and cool to hang out with after we play each other.” I said.

“So, since you know him you could get me an autograph?” she wagged her eyebrows.

“Better yet you can get it yourself, he invited all of us down to the locker room after the game.”

“Ok I am so glad I am off duty right now, and allowed to act like a fan, because this is totally
awesome.” She said quite loudly getting the attention of her brothers.

“Everything ok Jay?” Grayson asked.

“Yeah, we just might be staying in Buffalo a little longer than expected tonight.”

“What do you mean?” Zander asked.

“Well, el Cap-e-tan over here, got us all invited down to the locker room after the game.” She said smiling big.

“Way to go Tazer.” They screamed in unison, which caused a couple fans to get up and ask for my autograph.

The game went by pretty fast the Sabres were dominating. It was during a commercial timeout when Jayden and I were goofing around that the kiss cam came on us.

“This is so embarrassing” Jayden said as she just looked up to the jumbotron.

“It’s not when you kiss.” I said pulling her face to mine without thinking.

She pulled away. “What about people knowing?” she asked.

“Well we just have to talk to management when we get back.” I smiled. “I can’t keep you a secret anymore, Jay, I love you too much.”

“I love you too, Toe-ez.” She smiled before she kissed me again.

The Sabres won 5-1 and Jayden was ecstatic, I have never seen her just be a fan before. I mean I catch glimpses when she watches the games at home but when she is at a live game and isn’t working she is defiantly a true fan.

“Stop looking at me like that.” Jayden said as we waited for most of the fans cleared out before making are way down the locker room.

“Looking at you like what?”

“I don’t know you have an intense look on your face.”

“I have no idea what you are talking about.” I said getting up and heading towards the locker room.

“Next time you do that face then I will take a picture and show you.” She said seriously.

“Whatever you like.” I say as I took wrapped my arms around her waist, and kissed her neck. Her brothers started making throwing up noises, which caused me to pull away. There was a group of people who were waiting outside the doors where you could go back into the locker room, waiting like they could enter.

“Excuse me sir, are you on the list?” the Security guard asked as I walked up to him.

“Probably not, I was only invited down right before the game.” I told him honestly.

“May I see your id?” He asked and I quickly pulled out my license and handed it to him.

“Ah, yes Derek Roy told me to let you in and whoever was with you in.” he said standing to the side and letting us in.
“Thank you.” I said politely as the last one to enter to make sure nobody snuck through. It took a couple minutes to find our way to the Sabres locker room but when we were outside it Jayden was bouncing on the balls of her feet.

I knocked on the locker room door, and Derek Roy came and opened the door up in nothing but his suit pants.

“Jon, you made it” he said giving me a bro hug.

“She probably would have killed me if she didn’t get to see her favorite players.” I said pointing to Jayden.

“Like I said before you have a very smart girlfriend.” Derek smiled at me before turning his attention to Jayden, “I’m Der-“ she cut him off.

“I know who you are,” she smiled and took his hand that he held out. “Nice goal tonight, you could have got two though if you just wet five whole instead of lifting the puck, Gustavsson stinks at five hole shots.” She said smiling.

“I was just going to tell you the same thing.” Ruff said coming out of his office. “And you
are?” he looked at Jayden.

“Jayden Harris.” She smiled and stuck out her hand.

“Nice to meet you Jayden.” He said to her shaking it before he turned to me. “Hey Jon.” He said before he just left.

“Well Jayden,” Derek said to interrupt the awkward silence that fell would you like to meet the rest of the team?”

“Duh.” She said, I waited back while Derek introduced her to everyone and took her brothers with them. You could defiantly tell they all liked her, how could you not, her personality was so contagious.

“Where did you find this one?” Derek asked before adding “She is defiantly a keeper.”

I blushed before answering. “She is the new head equipment manager for the Blackhawks.” I said looking over to where she was chatting with Nathan Gerbe, and laughing.

“So she knows how to stick handle?” he asked jokingly, but it still caused me to turn bright red. “I am going to take that as a yes. Does your family like her?”

“I don’t know they haven’t met her yet, they will meet her on New Years Eve.” I stated.

“Well does her family like you?” he asked.

“I am not exactly sure, I know they didn’t like me before we officially started dating because I didn’t like her and wasn’t treating her right.” He looked at me sadly. “But they also didn’t like me because I play for the Blackhawks. So now I know they like me better because I treat her right but I am still a Blackhawks so they don’t like me.”

Derek glanced around the room, “Well we have some diehard Sabre fans in the room right now.” He smiled.

“You don’t even know how true that statement is.” I said as I remembered back to the car ride here.

“I have an idea.” He said before going around the locker room and talking to all the players. He came back a few minutes later and grabbed everyone’s attention.

“Jayden, who is your favorite player?”

Jayden just froze. “Well uh, I love pretty much everybody.” She started and I had to hold back a snort because I knew for a fact she hated Leino. “But I would have to say it’s a tie between you and Gerbe.” She smiled.

“I can work with that.” He said taking his jersey from the game and giving it to her and signed the one she was wearing while Gerbe did the same.

“Can you name off Jayden’s brothers?” he asked.

“First one is Brayden.” I stated and pointed to him.

“Hey Brayden do you have a favorite player on the team?” Derek asked.

“Ah, if I would have to choose it would be Erhoff.” Brayden said, and Erhoff, gave up his jersey and signed each one the others were wearing. This kept going on, with Grayson choosing Kaleta, Zander choosing Vanek, Kyle choosing Pominville, Logan choosing Stafford, Keegan choose Miller, and Alicia choose Gaustad.

“Thank you for everything” Jayden said after chatting 20 more minutes with them and exchanging numbers with most of the team.

“Hey anything for the girl who used to skate with the Amerks.” Derek said which gave her a weird look.

“Your brother told me how you guys had season tickets to the Amerks game and always skated for when you had the chance to skate with the Amerks, and that you outskated me.” He smirked. “And I remember that.”

“Yeah I was one competitive kid.” She smiled before giving him a hug as we left the locker room.

“Jayden, you are perfect.” I whispered into her ear when we were half way home and she was asleep on my shoulder or so I thought.

“Not as perfect as you” she mumbled bfore she went back to snoring.