Status: Finished

Better Than That

New Years

When we got back to Chicago we went right to sleep, both of us putting off the conversation that we were going to be having with Stan Bowman tomorrow. Jon and I both had the same idea that it was because he found out of our relationship. But we were too afraid to talk about what the consequences were going to be.

“Jayden, it’s time to get up.” Jon said as he kissed my cheek.

“I don’t want too.” I groaned and flipped over.

“I know babe but we both have jobs to do and then I we have meeting with Stan right after morning skate is over with.” He said as he easily rolled me back over.

“Yeah I guess you’re right” I said as I slowly got out of bed.

“I am always right.” He said getting out of bed as well.

Breakfast was quiet we both were afraid to talk but finally I spoke up. “Jon, what will happen today?”

“Honestly, I don’t know.” Jon replied sadly taking my hand as he pulled me into him. “But I will do everything in my power to keep things the way they are.” He said sincerely.

“But what if everything in your power doesn’t work?” I asked knowing that was a possibility.

“Then we will figure something out.” He said kissing me. “But now we have to go.” he glanced at his watch.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

“Jayden, Jon please come in.” Stan said ushering us into his office after my practice was over. Once we were all sitting down is when Stan spoke again. “So I was watching NHL on the Fly when something caught my attention.” He paused. “There was a highlight of Jonathan Toews on there but it wasn’t for his hockey skills, it was for him being on the kiss cam at the Buffalo Sabres game with none other than Jayden.”

“We were going to tell you about that when we got back here.” I started.

“What exactly were you going to tell me?” Stan asked.

“I asked Jayden out before break and after a lot of convincing she agreed.” I said waiting for Stan to respond.

“Well this isn’t good.” Stan said looking over at Jayden. “Jayden do you remember when we hired you the one thing I told you was?”

“That fraternizing with the team is completely off limits.” She responded sadly.

“Yet you have decided to date Jon.” Stan said stating the obvious.

“I pressured her to it.” I said. “She lives with me we just grew together and I grew to love her.”

“You love her?” Stan asked shocked. “Weren’t you the one who wanted her gone in the first place?” I glanced over at Jayden who didn’t seem too shocked from that new knowledge.

“That really had nothing to do with her personally. It was because of my ex-girlfriend at the time she made me hate all girls. I thought Jayden only wanted to get into every players pants but she showed me wrong.”

“I tried not to fall for him but I did.” Jayden said looking at me.

“Well I am sorry to hear that.” Stan said. “You have two options, you can either break up this little fling before it gets to serious or we are going to have to let you go Jayden.”

“What that is not fair.” I said loudly.

“I will give you two sometime to talk it over.” He said getting up and leaving his office.

“Jayden, I am so sorry I never meant any of this to happen.” I apologized for myself. “I love you so much but I understand if you don’t want to give up your job for me. But I will always be there for you even it means just as a friend.”

“Jon” Jayden said softly, I looked into her eyes. “A month ago I would have given anything up to keep this job.” I took a deep breath knowing that this was it; I was going to lose the only girl I have ever loved. “However now my dream has changed and I know it sounds all cliché but you are my new dream” My brain couldn’t really comprehend the words that were coming out of her mouth. “Even though we haven’t been together very long I don’t know what I would do without.” Jayden’s words slowly sank in.

“Wait; are you saying what I think your saying?” I asked.

“I don’t want to break up.” Jayden simply said. I quickly got out of my chair and gave Jayden a big bear hug.

“I love you so much” I said kissing her with as much passion that I could muster before I noticed she was crying. “Are you sure about this?” I asked wiping her tears away.

“I have never been surer about everything” she said leaning her head on my chest as the door opened.

“I am guessing you guys decided.” Stan said walking into the office.

“Yeah, I will have my office cleaned out in an hour.” Jayden said before I grabbed her hand and walked out of the room.

“I will find you at the locker room when I get the boxes all packed up.” Jayden told me giving me a quick kiss before she walked into her office.

I continued down to the locker room where Sharpy, Kane, Shaw, Kruger, Keith, Seabrook, and Crawford were waiting for me to get back with answers.

“So will you tell us now what Bowman wanted?” Seabs asked me as soon as I walked into the room. I quickly explained the situation to the guys.

“Where is Jayden right now?” Kaner asked.

“She is packing up her office.” I said.

“Well then we will make this fast.” Sharpy said pulling out his phone and calling some people as he walked out of the locker room.

“What are you making fast?” I asked confused.

“Go to Jayden right now and leave the rest to us.” Corey told me, I gave him a long look before I left.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

Kane, Keith, Kruger, Shaw, Crawford, and Sharpy all stood outside Stan Bowman’s door while Seabrook knocked.

“What can I do for you guys?” Stan asked opening the door.

“Re-hire Jayden.” They all said together.

“Sorry guys but she broke the rules.” Stan simply said as Joel Quenneville came bursting into Bowman’s office.

“What is this I hear you fired my best equipment manager?” Q said angrily as the rest of the team showed up behind him.

“I had to do what was best for the team.” Stan said standing mere inches from the furious Coach Q.

“What’s best for the team?” Q yelled into his face.

“Yeah, Jon and her are now dating and if they break up that could ruin the entire dynamics of the team.” Stan stated backing away from Q.

“Have you not noticed how well Jon has played as of late?” Q questioned. “I have never seen him play this good and it is all because of Jayden. If they break up we can deal with it then but I don’t think it will ruin the dynamics Jon hated her before and the team dynamics were still good.”

“But” Stan started.

“But Jayden is the best equipment manager the NHL has ever seen, she is quick and can spot a possible problem before it even happens.”

“But” Stan started again this time to be interrupted by Rocky Wirtz the owner.

“Stan do we have a problem here?” Rocky said coming into the already overcrowded office.

“Just a disagreement in whether Jayden should still be the team equipment manager.” Stan said.

“Well then fix this agreement so the majority is happy. We don’t want our team to be unhappy. Besides it’s not right to tell a person that they can’t fall in love, everybody deserves love, Stan. Including the Tazer and Jayden.” Rocky stated before turning around to leave. “I will tell her the good news, while you correct the wrong. Good luck tonight boys, kick some ass.” He said leaving.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

I was helping Jayden pack up the last box when there was a knock on her office door.

“Come in” Jayden asked.

“Your office looks really empty.” Rocky said walking into the office.

“Yeah well she was fired earlier today.” I said bitterly.

“I know but about five minutes ago she was just rehired.” Rocky smiled.

“Really?” Jayden asked hopeful.

“Really.” Rocky confirmed. “Besides Jon plays really well when you two are together.”

“Thank you so much sir.” Jayden smiled shaking his hand.

“Anytime, see you tonight after the game.” Rocky said before leaving.

I engulfed Jayden into a hug, as Seabs walked into her office. “Well I think it’s about time you unpacked these boxes.”

“Me too.” Jayden said as she pulled away from my embrace.

“But why don’t we go for lunch first?” Jon asked as Jayden nodded.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

“Babe are you ready to go?” I yelled up to Jayden. We were getting ready to go celebrate the New Year at the Keith’s house.

“Yes I will be down in a minute.” Jayden yelled back down to me. I sat on the couch just thinking over my life and how blessed I am. I thank god for every minute I have and not taking any second for granted.

“You look deep in thought.” Jayden said from right next to me which startled me.

“Woah,” was all I could say at how beautiful she looked.

“Too much” she asked all of sudden becoming self-conscious.

“Defiantly not, Jayje you are gorgeous.” I said kissing her.

“Thanks” she said kissing me back and it slowly became more passionate until she pulled away. “If you continue to do that we won’t leave the house.”

“That’s fine with me.” I smirked at her.

“Well I promise to make it worth your while, later.” She teased as she shook her hips while walking to the door.

“You are killing me woman.” I stated.

“But yet you still love me.” She smiled slyly at me.

The whole car ride over was filled with comfortable silence. No unnecessary talking about random things to try and fill the void, instead it was just the soft playing of Just a Kiss by Lady Antebellum which Jayden was singing quietly along too.

When we got to the Keith’s the party was in full swing already. My teammates were spread around the house either with their significant others if they had ones or with the random girls that showed up to the party.

“Jayden don’t you just look ravishing.” Seabs said coming up and kissing Jayden on her cheek.

“Hands off her she is mine.” I joked knowing that Seabs would never do anything to try and take Jayden from me. He laughed but took our coats for us and hung them up in the hall closet.

Jayden and I mingled for a while but around 11:45 she left my side to get a drink when a bleach blonde, fake tit girl came up to me.

“Baby boy, I have missed you.” She said wrapping her arms around me. I groaned as I pushed her away. “What’s wrong Jonnykins?” she asked in her high pitch nasally voice.

“What are you doing here Candy?” I asked pushing my ex away as her hands that started to wander around my body.

“I have missed you, I wanted you back babe.” She said trying to hug me again.

“Who says that I want you back?” I questioned.

“But I love you!” Candy said a little loud catching attention of Kane and Sharp.

“No you love my money and my name but you don’t love me.” I stated knowing full well she probably needs more money.

“No I don’t I love your body too.” She said as if that was all that matters.

“Well I don’t care what you love; we have been over for a long, long time.” I said starting to walk away from her but she grabbed my arm and dug her fingernails into it.

“It’s not over till I say it’s over.” She said then caught me off guard and started kissing me I was in such a state of shock that it took me a couple seconds before I pulled away.

“What the hell was that Candy?” I yelled wiping my mouth off.

“I was just doing what a girlfriend does to her boyfriend.” She stated as she tried to kiss me again but this time I was ready for her and was able to push her away.

“Too bad he isn’t your boyfriend anymore.” Jayden said from behind me. I turned around and saw her eyes full with anger.

“And who are you?” Candy glared at Jayden.

“I am the equipment manager for Jon’s team.” Jayden stated.

“Ah a working woman, how does this have anything to do with my boyfriend and I?” she questioned as she looked down upon Jayden because she actually worked.

“This has to do with Jon because he is my boyfriend.” Jayden stated with authority as she walked over to me.

“No he isn’t he would never date someone like you.” Candy spat.

“I wouldn’t date someone who is perfect for me?” I questioned wrapping my arm around Jayden.

“No you would. I am that someone that is perfect for you.” She said.

“You are wrong you’re the farthest thing away from perfect. Jayden is perfect for me.” I said in all honesty.

“How can that be perfect for you?” Candy asked.

“Well she has a name it’s Jayden. And Jayden is perfect to me because I feel honored just to be in her presence, she has a passion for her job, she cares more about others than herself, she wouldn’t mind living in a shack as long as she was with the people she loved, her family is her sun, and she makes me want to be a better me.”

“I did those things too.” Candy said.

“You have never worked a day in your life. You don’t care what happens to others as long as you get what you want out of the deal, you can’t stand being at a one bedroom apartment, your disowned your family and you made me feel used. I never loved you.” I finished.

“This is the worst mistake you will ever make Jon.” Candy said as she stormed out of the house just as the countdown began.

“10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1… Happy New Year.” Every yelled.

“Happy New Year, Jayden Harris I love you so much!” I said over the cheers.

“I love you Jonathan Toews, so much.” And with that we kissed before being broken apart to hug our friends. After we made the rounds we left to celebrate the New Year in the private of our own home.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me so long to update.

Check out my friend and my new story Beginning to the End