Status: Finished

Better Than That

Birthday

Jon’s POV

Almost a month has passed since New Year’s and Jayden and I couldn’t be happier. Right now I am just trying to figure out what to get Jayden for her birthday. I was going to fly her parents and brothers out to Chicago but we leave for a 9 game road trip the day after her birthday so I knew that was out, at least until after February.

Now that leaves me with zero ideas, I have even googled what to get your girlfriend for her birthday but all I came up with was crap answers. It was time to pull out the big guns on this one.

“Hello?” Mrs. Harris answered her phone.

“Hi, Mrs. Harris this is Jon.”

“This can’t be Jonathan Toews because he knows better than to call me Mrs. Harris.” Jayden’s mom scolded me through the phone.

“I am so sorry Cheryl.” I apologized.

“What do I owe this wonderful phone call for?” Cheryl asked me.

“Well Jayden’s birthday is coming up and I want to get her something special but I don’t know what to get her.”

“Ah, I see the problem; Jayden is the hardest person to shop for. I used to just get her hockey stuff but now she gets that for free.” Her mom said thinking out loud. “The only thing I can think of is maybe tickets to a White Sox Yankee game.”

“But that’s not until summer.” I stated.

“Yeah but she will love it.” Her mom stated.

“Alright, thank you so much Cheryl.”

“You’re welcome, Jon.”

“Hope to see you guys soon.”

“Same, goodbye.” Her Mom hung up.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19

“Jon just tell me where we are going so I can pick out an outfit.” Jayden said in the car trying to figure out what to wear for her birthday dinner.

“No can do sweetheart.” I smirked at her as we pulled into the parking lot.

“But, it’s my birthday.” Jayden tried.

“You will find out soon enough now go change.” I said pulling her out of the car. She went straight to her closet in her old room. “Jayden come in here for a sec.” I yelled knowing she wouldn’t find anything to wear in there.

‘What is it?” She asked as she walked into our room. Instantly she spotted the red dress that I had bought for her.

“Oh my god, Jon that dress is so beautiful.” She said picking the dress up off of the bed.

“It doesn’t even come close to how beautiful you are.” Jayden instantly blushed.

“No I am not.” She said self-conscious about what fucktard did to her.

“Oh Jayden but you are. You are the most beautiful girl in the world.” Jayden didn’t say anything so I got up and took her into my arms before I kissed her deeply. “I love you, Jayden Harris.”

“I love you too, Jonathan Toe-ez.” Jayden joked.

“You know for that I am not going to give you your present!” I said pulling away from her She grabbed my arm quickly.

“I love you Jonathan Toews.” She said giving me a kiss.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah.” I joked. “But now you have to get ready so we don’t miss our reservations.”

“Alright, I’m going, I’m going.” She said as she went into the bathroom to shower and change. Taking the few minutes I had I called Abby to make sure everything was set for tonight.

“Jon everything is ready you don’t have to worry about it.” Abby said as soon as she picked up the phone.

“So that means the present was delivered today?”

“Yes Jon, it is all set.” Abby told me again.

“Ok, I just wanted to make sure, Jayden deserves perfection.”

“Jon just listen to me. Take a deep breath and relax. Hayden doesn’t care if it is perfect all she cares about is you.”

“Thank you Abby.”

“Don’t mention it.” With that Abby hung up.

“Jon aren’t you going to get ready?” Jayden asked a few minutes later exiting the bathroom in sweats and a t-shirt.

“I was just waiting on my lovely girlfriend to get out of the shower so I could take one.” I told her.

“Well if you told me that earlier we could have saved water.” She winked at me.

“Yeah, that would not have helped us make our reservation on time.” I said before kissing her softly on the lips and heading to the shower.

“Hon sometimes I swear you are a women.” Jayden yelled at me through the bathroom door twenty minutes later.

“Oh honey I can prove to you I am defiantly not a women.” I joked back, just like we always do.

“Then you shouldn’t take twice as long as me to get ready.”

“That’s because in order for me to look anywhere as good as you it takes time.” I complimented her just as I walked into our room wearing only a towel.

“Oh hot damn.” Jayden muttered as her jaw dropped.

“Honey you are going to catch flies if you keep your mouth open like that.” I said as I walked over to her and closed her mouth for her.

“Do we have to go to the restaurant? We can have dinner right her.” Jayden said wagging her eyebrows.

“Fine” I said which shocked Jayden.

“I was just kidding I need some real food.” Jayden said going into the closet and putting on her dress.

“Now who looks good.” I said while my mouth hung open at my beautiful girlfriend who was standing in front of me.

“Babe close your mouth, you don’t want to let the flies in.” she used my own line against me.

“Well then smart mouth, I bought you that dress I could very easily take it back.” I threatened.

“Sorry, there are no refunds.”

“Can I try to convince you to change your mind.” I flirted.

“Nope, that’s not going to happens.” She shot me down and grabbed my purse.

We pulled up to TL Mulino with 5 minutes to spare before our reservation.

“Jon this place is wonderful but you didn’t have to do this.” Jayden said shocked at the place I chose.

“But Jon it’s too expensive and good for me, why don’t we just go to Wendy’s or something.”

“Jayje don’t worry about it, this pace is perfect. I don’t care how much money I spend on you it will never be enough because you deserve everything and I know you won’t take anything.” I said looking into her eyes.

“Are you sure?” Jayden asked me.

“I have never been more sure about anything in my entire life.” I assured her.

“Ok.” Jayden said shyly. Ever since the whole John thing Jayden would have these days where she felt like everyone was spending too much on her, whether it would be spending too much time, money, or energy. Most days she was her normal self but John really did a number on her emotions.

“Welcome to TL Mulino’s, how many for tonight?” The hostess asked politely as we entered the restaurant.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19

“I have a reservation for two under Toews.” Jon said to the hostess as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

“Your table is ready, Mr. Toews.” The waitress said looking up from her book and ushering the two of us to a table near the back.

“Jon” I said as we got to the table and I noticed there was a rose that had a note.

Jayden Harris,

Happy 23rd birthday to the best equipment manager a player could hope for. You are defiantly the coolest girl I have ever known and I am so glad I am able to call you my friend.

Kaner


I finished reading Kaner’s note when our waiter showed up at the table. “Hi my name is Ben and I will be you server today. What can I get you guys to drink?”

“Before I could order anything to drink, Jon had ordered the best bottle of wine that they had. When Ben returned with the wine there was another rose that had a note attached to it.

Jayden Harris,

You know the first time I met you, when you were looking for a Tim Horton’s I really wanted to become friends with you. But I never thought I would see you again, however then you interviewed me minutes later and I knew we would defiantly become friends. What I wasn’t expecting was us to become best friends but I am so glad that we did. Now you are just growing up before my eyes. Happy Birthday Kiddo!

Seabs


I finished reading the note and ordered my meal, while we waited for it to come out Jon and I just talked mostly flirting but we were just being ourselves. About 10 minutes later our salads came out and once again a rose was with it.

Jayden,

I am so glad that you came into my life, I know Abby is too. Especially now that she and I have another person with an evil mind to help us prank the guys ever since Burish left for Dallas. Thank you so much for being awesome. Happy Birthday!

Sharpie


At this point my eyes started to water because I was just starting to realize how many people I had around me that cared about me. Ever since John I haven’t been the same I always think I am never good enough. I know that Jon can see that I am different and he has been trying to help me but nothing has really helped except for these letters.

“Jayje are you ok?” Jon asked worried once he saw the tear run down my cheek.

“I have never been better babe. This night has been perfect.” I told him honestly.

“And to think we haven’t even got to the main course yet.” He said leaning over and giving me a kiss.

Another rose and note with my main course didn’t surprise me.

Jayden,

Meeting you and your brothers before Christmas was seriously one of the sweetest things that has happened to me this season. When you told me what I could have done to score a second goal I knew you were legit. Even though people may not know this Jon and I are really good friends and I have worried with all the fame he wouldn’t find a girl that was worthy of him. But he found you, a girl who he isn’t worthy of. You are one of the coolest hockey fans I know and my only regret is that the Buffalo Sabres didn’t pick you up as their equipment manager. But I am sure we will see each other again soon. Happy Birthday Jayden from me and the entire team.

Roysie

P.S. Gerbe asked me to remind you to be great!


“You got Roy to write me a note?” I asked after I finished reading it.

“He is your favorite player. Besides every time I have talked to him all he talks about is you.” Jon told me taking my hand while we started eating.

“Thank you Jon.” I said after a few moments of comfortable silence.

“There is nothing to thank me for.”

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19

A couple more roses and notes later we were leaving the restaurant. But when we got to where Jon parked his car there was a horse and carriage in its place.

“My lady,” Jon said as he helped me up into the carriage.

“Jon, I don’t know what to say.” I said absolutely shocked.

“Then don’t say anything.” Jon told me as he sat beside me before he covered both of us with a blanket.

“Sir, Miss, are you ready to go?” the driver asked.

“Yes we are.” Jon said as he pulled me close so I was snuggled into his side.

We sat in silence just enjoying the scenery when we stopped outside a random house and Jon helped me get down from the carriage.

“Jon where are we?” I asked curious as we walked up the house.

“Jayden, I have been thinking and I think we should live together.” He said which confused me because we already lived together. “I know what you are thinking, we already live together, but I want to live together in this house away from the apartment with so many bad memories.”

“There are good memories there too.” I countered still a little shocked as I stared at the beautiful house in front of me.

“But we can make good memories here too.” Jon said. “So what do you say?”

I knew my answer, secretly ever since John I wanted to move out of the apartment away from everything bad that had happened there. “Yes Jon I will move in with you.” I said hugging him.

“I was hoping you would say that.” He smiled giving me a kiss “but I have one more surprise for you.” He opened up the door and covered my eyes we walked down a set of stairs and then he uncovered my eyes. There in front of me was my dream game room, the one that Brayden, Grayson, Keegan, Logan, and Zander had always talked about.

“How did you know?” I asked Jon surprised.

“Your brothers.” He said before adding. “By the way they would only let me know what you wanted if they could come and use it as well.”

“That’s fine with me.” I said taking in the huge room that was complete with a ping pong table, skiball machine, foosball, air hockey, bubble hockey, video games galore that were hooked up to a projector, pac man machine, soda machine, popcorn machine, pool table, shuffle board table, dart board and a sick stereo system. On one wall was the Gerbe and Roy jersey that I got when I met them, with my high school and college jersey. On another wall was every Blackhawk jersey. Then on the third wall was a huge frame that held my favorite picture from Christmas that had all of my brothers Jon and I in a group laughing at something some one said.

“You are perfect Jon.” I said kissing him.

“Not even close to perfect but I do love you.” Jon said kissing me. “Happy birthday, love.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey look an update! Sorry for the wait! Hope you enjoyed. I will update the next chapter as soon as I can!

Comment and Subscribe :)