Status: Finished

Better Than That

Planning

After my memory came back the summer flew by. Jayden came up with me to Winnipeg for part of the time and I went to Rochester with her for part of the time. My day with the cup was more quiet this time around. No lakes were named after me and no more keys to the city. In the morning we did a parade with a hospital visit right after. In the early afternoon we had a photographer take our engagement photos with the cup. While later in the afternoon Jayden and I held a party with family and friends to celebrate both the cup and our engagement. It was a good time spent with the people we cared about.

I was cleared to play contact right before the first preseason game which meant my first game back will be opening day, which was amazing because I can’t stand missing any games.

Tomorrow is our first preseason game against the Sabres. Jayden has been going crazy this past week making sure the all the equipment was set and ready for the new season. She has been working all day even though the players were given the day off, so I decided to attempt to make her dinner.

“Lucy I’m home!” Jayden called as soon as she walked through the door.

“In the kitchen” I called back.

“Uh oh, should I call the fire department? Or did you just order something?” She asked jokingly.

“Neither, I haven’t burnt anything yet.” I said quickly knocking on my head so I wouldn’t jinx it.

“Hopefully you don’t either because it actually smells delicious.” she told me before giving me a kiss hello.

“Dinner will be ready in a few minutes. So why don’t you go change and we can eat when you come back.” I told her with a smile. She immediately went to our room to change while I set the table. When she came out she was changed into her favorite pajamas looking a lot more relaxed then she was when she first walked through the door.

We sat and ate for a couple minutes in comfortable silence. I could tell she was thinking hard about something.

“Why are the wheels in your head turning so hard?” I asked breaking the silence.

“I have been thinking.” She started and I interrupted her.

“Never a good sign.” I joked and she threw a piece of bread at me.

“Oh shut it.” She said before continuing. “I was thinking about a date.” At this I smiled, I could not wait to marry the woman of my dreams.

“Oh yeah and what date were you thinking about?” I asked hopeful it wasn’t too far away.

“July 19th, 2013.” She smiled at me.

“The 19th, eh?”

“Yeah.”

“I like it.” I smiled back at her knowing it would be the perfect time, knowing the season will defiantly be over by then.

“Good.” she said like she had something else to say.

“What else are you thinking in that pretty head of yours?

“Well I kind of always wanted to get married at my house by the bonfire pit.”

“With the pond in the background?” I asked immediately picturing what our wedding would look like. Jayden nodded. “Perfect.” And with that said and done we started the planning of our wedding.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19

A couple months went by since Jon and I set a date for our wedding. We have been planning like crazy trying to get most of it done before the all star break, knowing full well that there wont be any time to plan after that especially if the team continues to play like the way they are now. I wouldn’t want to jinx it or anything but there is defiantly a chance they could win it all again this year. Even though it’s the season Jon has been much more involved with the wedding planning than I ever though a guy would be. There have been countless times when I have worked late and would come home to fine him watching Bridezilla, Say Yes To the Dress, and any other wedding show he could find. And that’s exactly how I found him tonight.

“So what’s this brides problem?” I asked as soon as I saw what I was on TV.

“She is pissed off because her is late for the dress fitting but her sister called and told her she was going to be late because she had a flat tire.” Jon explained as he put his arm around me.

“What a bitch. If I start acting like that, please just slap me across the face.”

“That I can do.” He smiled before kissing the top of my head knowing full well he will never have to do that.

“So you, Kyle and your mom are going dress shopping tomorrow after you pick them up from the airport?”

“Yeah Abby’s coming with us for a much needed girls day.”

“Good you need a day off even if it is spent dress shopping.” he said knowing that I have been over working myself.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19

“Kyle” I yelled as soon as I saw her at baggage claim. She immediately yelled back greeting both Abby and I as my mom made her way over.

“Are you girls ready to get your shop on?” My mom asked.

“Duh.” The three of us said in unison. Not only were we shopping for my wedding dress we were shopping for their bridesmaid dresses. Kyle was my maid of honor while Abby, Kerry and a few of my cousins were going to be the bridesmaids. The only rule that I had for the dresses was that they needed to be Blackhawk red.

Once we got to the bridal boutique, Mary already had dresses waiting for me to try on since I called a couple days ago to describe what kind of dress I was looking for.

The first dress I saw, I knew was my dream dress. It was an a-line dress with a sweetheart neckline. Once I saw myself in the dress I knew it was the one. Now I just need the approval of my mothers.

“Jayden.” Was all my mother said before tearing up.

“You look gorgeous.” Abby told me.

“It’s your dream dress.” Kyle noted.

“Mom what do you think?” I asked once she calmed down a bit.

“I don’t think you need to try on any more dresses.” My mom told me honestly.

“So is that a yes on this dress?” I just nodded my head speechless. “Well I do believe you are the easiest bride I have ever had to deal with.” The consultant said.

“Well that’s good.” I said before changing back into my street clothes.

For the next couple of hours Kyle and Abby tried on dresses until they each found one that they liked. “I don’t know about you guys but I am famished.” my mom said walking out of the boutique.

“Lucky for us then because I know just the place to eat.” I told them as I drove to my favorite diner. When we got there Jon and both Patricks were there ordering their food. I snuck up behind Jon motioning for Kaner to stay quiet.

“Oh my god, your Jonathan Toews, can I have your baby.” I said disguising my voice.

“Sorry I have a fiancé.” he said before turning around with his Captain Serious face on. But once he saw me he broke out into a grin. “I am guessing you found your dresses?” he asked and I nodded.

“Well then we should celebrate.” Sharpy said.

“Celebrate?” Jon asked. “What are we celebrating?”

“Abby took a couple of months to find her dress, your fiancé found her dress in less than a day, hence celebration.”

“I am up for a celebration.” Kaner said as he pushed another table together.

“You are always up for celebrating.” I told him causing him to smirk. We all sat down and ordered food and ate. Sharpy was telling us funny stories of the planning of their wedding making everybody laugh and have a good time, until someone cleared their voice behind us.

“Jonny-baby.” a high pitched voice said behind Jon and I. From the look of Kaner’s face I knew he knew this person. I turned around seeing a girl dressed in tight jeans, Uggs, and a sweater two sizes too small.

“Candy, what do you want.” Jon all but snarled.

“I want to talk to you in private.” Candy said. Jon looked like he wanted to be anywhere but here. “Please” she whined. Jon turned to me.

“Go” I said. He kissed me before getting up and leaving the diner with Candy. The rest of us continued to eat in silence all wanting to know what was going on outside with Candy and Jon.

We finished eating and Jon had yet to return. I got his food boxed up and bid the guys and Abby goodbye as Kyle and my mom went and looked for Jon. When we got outside Jon was sitting on the bench with his head in his hands. My mom took the box of food out of my hand so I could go over to Jon.

“Everything all right?” I asked putting my hand on his back.

“Can we talk when we get home?” he asked his voice sounding hoarse and his eyes looked worried.

“Yeah sure.” I said worrying even more.

As soon as we got home my mom and Kyle disappeared into the game room giving Jon and I privacy. We just stood there for a couple of minutes in silence when I finally broke the silence.

“Are you going to tell me what’s going on?” I asked. Jon took a deep breath. “What did Candy want?”

“She is blackmailing me.” he said. What blackmail does she have on him. Did he cheat on me? Before I could ask Jon answered the question. “When Candy and I were together she secretly taped us having sex.” he said getting upset. “Now she wants me to do what she says or she will put the tapes on deadspin.”

“What does she want you to do?” I asked thinking it was just money.

“She wants me to break things off with you.” he said tearing up. “And get back together with her but I wont do that. I love you more than hockey.”

“Jon but this could ruin your career.” I said knowing that his career is very important to him.

“I know but I would rather have my career ruined than ruining the best thing in my life.” he said with a sad smile.

“I love you Jon.” I told him.

“I love you too.” he said pulling me into a hug and kissing my head.

“However I think I have a plan.” I said as my brain came up with something to save both our relationship and his career.

“Oh yeah?” He asked sounding hopeful.

“Yeah, just give me a couple hours and I will let you in on it.” I smiled and kissed him before leaving the room to start setting the plan in motion. Leaving Jon looking clueless and worried.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took me so long. Hope you guys enjoyed. Any ideas what Jayden has planned?