Status: Finished

Better Than That

Slut?

I can’t believe I just agreed to have the girl I can’t stand move in with me for the year. “Dude Jayden, why don’t you have that much stuff?” Seabs asked carrying in one of the 8 bags she had.

“I didn’t have anywhere to put anything else, but it's not like I have much else though.” Jayden said as I showed her to her room.

“This is where you will be staying, there is a bathroom that connects.”

“Thanks” she mumbled, “You know you don’t need to do this I can be gone in a few seconds.” She said.

“No your fine.” I said. Besides if I didn’t do this the boys would be kicking my ass I thought. After all of Jayden’s bags were put in her room, everybody left, which left just Jayden and I standing in the living room awkwardly.

“So um, how much do you want me to pay for rent?” she asked trying to break the silence.

“You don’t pay rent.” I stated in my captain voice.

“I need to pay rent. I don’t feel right not paying rent.” She said.

“Well this is how it works the rookies, or in this case you are living with a teammate for one year so you don’t need to pay rent.” I said bitterly.

“Then I will pay for groceries.” She said.

“No!” I almost yelled.

“Yes!” she yelled back.

“No!” I said again.

“Why not?” she questioned.

“Because if you are going to pay for groceries than it’s going to be all your food and none of mine.”

“No it won’t.” she said defending herself.

“Yeah it will”

“Fine so we go grocery shopping together getting what we both want, but in the end I will pay.”

“No, that will never work.” I said angrily.

“Why not?”

“Because.” I stated simply.

“Because why?”

“pas passer plus de temps avec vous, alors je l'ai déjà à le faire.Parce que je ne veux” (Because I don’t want to spend more time with you then I already have too) I bit off in French. “You know what we will talk about it tomorrow at the store because we do need food.” I said, she nodded and headed to her room.

I went to my room, which was right next to her and I could hear her talking on the phone.

“Hey Gray” she spoke into the phone, who is Gray?

“No, I am living with one of the players for a little while.” She replied to whatever question this Gray guy asked.

“No Grayson you do not need to come down here and beat anybody up.”

“Yes I know I have you”

“No you don’t need to worry about me doing something stupid.”

“No I will not move back home, I have my dream job now.”

“Alright then, go to bed.” She said before adding. “Goodnight Gray, love you.” I shouldn’t be listening I thought as I left my room to go get something to drink from the kitchen. When I reached the refrigerator I saw the picture of Candy and I that I forgot to take down. I quickly ripped it off the fridge and tore it to shreds and punching the counter. I turned around and saw Jayden standing there.

“What do you want?” I screamed.

“I just came in for something to drink.” She muttered looking down. “I am sorry I interrupted you.” She turned around and was about to head back to her room.

“Do you like blue Gatorade?” I asked surprising myself.

“Um, yeah” she said turning around.

“Here” I said tossing it to her.

“Thanks” she muttered and headed to her room. This is going to be a long season.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

Preseason was over with, and Jayden and I barely even look at each other let alone talk to each other. Which doesn’t bother me one bit, however I do get bothered having to hear her talking to her five boyfriends. Yes five boyfriends. She talks to them almost every night I knew I had a reason not to trust her. I use French when I am around her so she doesn’t understand what I am saying.

“Hi mama” I said answering my phone.

“Hi Jonny,” my mom answered. “Is my baby behaving himself?”

“Yes mama, why wouldn’t I be?” I questioned knowing my mom wouldn’t be too happy the way I am treating Jayden.

“Oh I don’t know some little birdie told me that you don’t get along with the new equipment guy.”

“Yeah I don’t, she is just so frustrating.” I said trying to get out my feelings.

“She?”

“Yes ma she, as in girl.” I answered her thought.

“Ah I see.”

“Que vois-tu mama?” (What do you see mama?) I asked switching to French when Jayden walked into the living to watch TV.

“Pourquoi vous n'aimez pas son.” (Why you don’t like her). She said. “Mon amour, tu le comprendre quand le moment sera venu.” (My love, you will figure it out when the time is right.)

“Maman je la hais. (Mama I just hate her.)” I told her. “Elle est toujours à la patinoire, dans son bureau et je veux juste revenir Troy. (She is always at the rink in her office and I just want Troy back.)”

“Jonathan Bryan Toews” My mother yelled. “Je n'ai pas levé vous de cette façon. La haine est un mot fort et vous avez même pas donnéla fille une chance. Ils sont tous pas comme Candy. Donnez-moi un rappel lorsque vous devenez le fils que j'ai soulevées. (I did not raise you this way. Hate is a strong word and you haven't even given the girl a chance. They are all not like Candy. Give me a call back when you become the son I raised.) With that she hung up the phone.

I walked into the living room forgetting Jayden was there watching TV. I sat down and screamed “Fuck”

“Everything ok?” she asked her voice breaking like someone who had been crying but her face said otherwise.

“Yeah everything is fucking fantastic” I said glancing at the TV noting that she was watching the Buffalo Sabres game, in Europe.

She must have seen me look. “I can go watch it in my room.” She said handing the remote to me.

“No that’s ok” I said. It wasn’t like she was watching some girl chick movie or show.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

These past couple of weeks has been hard. Jon kept going into French every time he is around me probably for me not to understand him. However he doesn’t know that I am fluent in French. To say that I know to stay out of his way is an understatement. He really hates me and I knew that for sure when I sat down on the couch to watch the season opener of the Sabres game when I heard him talking to his mom. My heart just dropped. I am used to people not liking me but why does he hate me? I have never done anything to him.

He came into the living room and sat on the love seat “Fuck” he screamed.

“Everything ok?” I asked trying to hide the fact that I was on the brink of tears.

“Yeah everything is fucking fantastic” he said looking over at the TV. I should probably let him watch what he wants to watch.

“I can go watch it in my room.” I said handing him the remote and about to head into my room.

“No that’s ok” he said setting the remote down.

He sat with me watching the game, randomly inserting his comments about the plays the Sabres had. I was controlling my urge to cheer with the goal or yell at the ref about a bad call but when Jason Pominville scored the third goal of the game I couldn’t hold in my excitement. “The population of Pominville goes up by one.” I said a little louder than need be.

“Wow, I didn’t see that one coming.” Jon said surprisingly not yelling at me.

“What it was a wrist shot that was set up by Vanek and Adam.” I said glad he is not yelling at me.

“No what I meant is that I didn’t see you celebrating over a goal like that.” He said with what looked like a smile on his face.

“Well they were my favorite team growing up, and when they don’t play you guys I still will always root for them.” I said blushing a little bit.

“No that’s ok. I am just a little shocked.” He said thinking. “If you want to celebrate more or yell at the TV during hockey games feel free.” He added nicely. I really like this side of him, the considerate side.

We continued watching the game, I would yell at the TV when I was mad at the Sabres, and he would just sit there watching. It was the first time I felt relaxed around him since I met him, I decided I would take his good mood and tell him about my brothers coming to visit.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

This was the first time I felt comfortable with Jayden, watching the game she was really intense maybe she was different then I thought.

“Hey Jon” Jayden said getting my attention. “I have a few guys coming to visit me this weekend and I was wondering if you mind me showing them where I am staying.”

“What are these guys’ names?” I asked wondering if it was her boyfriend’s coming to visit.

“Brayden, Grayson, Zander, Keegan, and Logan.” She said simply.

“They are all coming here at once?” I questioned getting a little disgusted.

“Of course they are staying at a hotel.” She said as if it was normal.

“That’s disgusting.” I yelled. “You really are a slut. Fucking five guys at once, really that’s disturbing on so many levels.

“Wait what?” she asked confused.

“You having your five boyfriend’s here at the same time.”

“They are not my boyfriend’s” she said standing up and leaving the condo. I just sat there and decided to go figure out who they were then by going into her room. When I walked in I saw
a couple pictures one with who I assumed were her grandparents and another where she was at the First Niagara Center with five guys. On that frame there were the words family and a note sitting in front of it.

Jay,

As you are our brosis, we hereby announce your acceptance into the bro club officially. Even though you have always been a part of the bro club this is official. As are little brosis we are very proud of you achieving your dreams even if you did have to move away from us. Oh and in honor of you being a member of the bro club here are you balls.

Sincerely you favorite brothers,

Brayden, Zander, Keegan, Logan, and Grayson


Wait they are her brothers? I am so fucked. Why didn’t I ask who they were before I assumed. I left her room and headed to my room, when my cell phone rang.

“Dude what the fuck’s your problem” Brent’s voice came through the phone.

“I don’t know man. I assumed something about Jayden and I was wrong.”

“You better believe you were wrong.” He yelled at me. “Look dude she is staying the night here, but seriously you should get your shit together, and stop talking about how much you hate her in front of her.”

“Wait, I have only talked in French when I said those things.” I said confused on how she knew what was happening.

“Dude, you don’t know anything about her do you?” he asked disappointed in me.

“No, what should I know?”

“Well maybe you should know what she double majored in at college.” He said.

“Which was?” I questioned him?

“Sports Management and French” he said.

“She knows French and she didn’t tell me?” I said feeling wretched.

“Yeah, and the reason she didn’t say anything to you was because she wanted to let you have your own personal space and that was the only way she knew how to give it to you.” He defended her “She is used to people not liking her but she doesn’t understand what she did to get you to hate her so much. It really hurt her when she overheard the conversation with your mom, she tried to block it out but couldn’t.”

“So that’s why she looked like she was about to cry.” I said realization hitting me like a ton of bricks. All those horrible things I said to her never intending to for her to understand what I had said. But that explains all of those hurt looks.

“Yeah man, she never cries, like ever. Her brothers are very protective over her. She was never allowed to hang out with guys that they have never met. Which made it very difficult for her for a while because her brothers can be scary.” I remembered the picture that was taken, they did seem like the type of guys that would take you down if you crossed them.

“Damn” I said.

“Jon, I am going to give you some advice, figure a way to overcome your hatred toward Jayden. She isn’t Candy” I cringed at her name. “And the way you are treating her is not even hurting her it is also hurting you as well.”

“You sound like my mother.” I said but took his advice into mind.

“Great minds think alike” he joked trying to lighten the mood. “Oh and can you bring some clothes over for her tonight? You don’t need to but I don’t think she wants people to get the wrong impression if she shows up to the rink wearing my clothes tonight or tomorrow.”

“Yeah I will be right over.” I said hanging up the phone and heading back into her room to grab her clothes. I took a look around the room and noticed that it was decorated like a guy’s room, like my room. I grabbed one of her bags to put the clothes in and I decided to grab her toothbrush and other toiletries she would need tonight. I saw her feather pillow and picked that up too, when a note fell out.

Jay Jay,

Being able to be you friend for the past three years was an amazing experience and being able to be your boyfriend for the past year was incredible. You aren’t like any other girls I know, you are so much better. But I am moving across country because I did something really stupid, and I know I am a coward for telling you this way but I am can’t see you hurt especially if I am the one that hurt you. I slept with your best friend a month ago. I was so stupid, and drunk, I still can’t believe I did that. I am sorry for being a jerk. You have all the right in the world to hate me and believe me when I say I hate myself more than you can ever hate me. I know sorry doesn’t mean anything but I really am sorry for hurting you. I love you Jayden, but you deserve so much better than a cheater. I will forever love you. I am so sorry.

Love,

John


Oh my god, I should not have read that letter. Jayden was hurt just as bad as I was. She could understand my pain. I grabbed her packed bag and rushed over to Seabs.

“Thanks for bringing over her stuff” Seabs answered the door stepped outside and closed the door.

“Yeah no problem, but I was wondering if I could speak to her for a second.” I asked.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea, Jon.” He replied.

“Why not?” I asked.

“Yo Seabs whose at the door?” Jayden yelled.

“Um, it’s Jon” Seabs said back hesitantly. All of a sudden there was a loud crash and five tall muscular guys came bursting out of the door and instantly Seabs moved out of the line of fire.

“What are you doing here?” the tallest one growled.

“I came here to drop off clothes for Jayden, so she had something to wear for work tonight and tomorrow.” I said holding up the bag I had.

“Well that was thoughtful” one of the others growled.

“Brent can you take the bag to Jay, please?” Yet another one said but didn’t growl at Seabs, and he did as he was told so that left me alone with her brothers.

“Who the fuck do you think you are?” the first guy growled at me. “What makes you think you have the right to call our sister a slut?”

“I—“ I stammered.

“We know she is living with you, and we can’t change her mind that she should move but if anything like this ever happens again…” the shortest of the five said.

“Shit’s going to hit the fan.”

“We mean it Jon, she has only cried once before but you are the biggest ass hole ever.” He said as the door opened with Jayden and Seabs walking out.

“You guys locked her in the bathroom?” Seabs asked, which caused her brothers to relax a little bit.

“Wasn’t the first time.” Jayden mumbled. “But I have to go to work, now.”

“Do you want a ride to arena?” I spoke up, surprising everyone.

“No she doesn’t” her brothers answer at the same time, and she just smacked one.

“Sure” she said grabbing her bag. “Don’t give Seab’s a hard time boys.” She glared at them.

“Yes, brosis” they said in unison as they hung their heads like they have been caught.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

“So….” Jon said as we got into his car.

“So…” I said back to him.

“I am sorry for everything, for talking about you in French, for calling you a slut, and for everything.” He said apologetically.

“It’s ok” I said quietly.

“No it isn’t, I was wrong and I know it now. I am just upset still with ex-girlfriend Candy. She went after all my money and fucked my cousin.”

“I apologize in advance.” I said as he gave me a questioning look. “Seriously her name was Candy? And that alone didn’t give it away?” I asked.

“Um, well I didn’t really think about it that way.” He said with a look of realization.

“Yeah I guess not.” I said as he parked outside the arena and got out of the car. “You don’t have to stay I can just grab a cab when I am done.”

“No, no, no, Clinton isn’t going to be here tonight so I will just stay with you.”

“I won’t be that long. I just have to make sure everything is set up correctly.”

“Sounds good.” He replied walking into the arena with me.

After I went through my check list and was heading back to the car with Jon I got up enough nerve to ask him the question that got me upset the most today. “Hey Jon, can I ask you a question?”

“Yeah” he said with a little worry.

“When you were on the phone with your mom, you told her you hate me. Why do you hate me?” I asked as I saw his face drop.

“I don’t know” he started driving back to Seabs. When he pulled into the parking lot he started talking again “Ever since I met you there has just been something different, I don’t know how to explain it. You get under my skin sometimes but it’s not what you do or how you act. I just, ugh what’s the word.”

“It’s okay, I get you” I told him getting out of the car.

“You know you can come back to my place tonight and ride to the rink together in the morning.”

“Yeah, ok” I said “Thanks for bringing my bag by and taking me to the arena.”

“Well I did want to apologize.” He said getting serious again as we approached Seab’s door.

“Scared of my brothers?” I asked, and he just nodded. “They are harmless for the most part, just try to get off their bad side.”

“Any ideas how to do that?” he asked

“Yeah a couple, one is to listen to what they say and two is not beating the Sabres, anyone who beats them get on their bad side.” I smiled which caused him to laugh while we walked into the Seab’s apartment.

“Captain Serious is laughing? Call the presses let the news out. Better yet call the doctor something is wrong.”

“Shut it Seabs” Jon said glaring at him.

“You even laugh in monotone.” Keegan said getting up from the couch, along with the rest of my brothers.

“Well we are out of here, we will see you tomorrow for lunch and the game, Jay” Zander said giving me a hug.

“Alright guys see you tomorrow.” I said giving the rest of them hugs and grabbing my bag and heading out the door when Jon took my bag from me.

“I got it” he smiled. This more acquaintance of a relationship could work, I smiled internally.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy :) Comment and Subscribe....and if you know of any good hockey stories to read please let me know :)