Status: Finished

Better Than That

Right Hook

A couple of weeks passed and things between Jon and I were on longer completely horrible to each other. I finally got a car so I didn’t have to rely on the guys and cabs to get me to and from the arena. I was heading to the rink early so I could skate before I had to go to work during practice when my phone rang.

“Hello Kyle” I answered my phone.

“Hello my love.” She answered in her newly founded British accent. “I was just calling to let you know I will be there in a few hours.”

“Yey!” I said excitedly walking into the arena. “Will you meet me at the United Center then?”

“Of course I made sure I brought the pass you gave me.” I could hear an evil smirk in her voice.

“I can’t wait to see you!”

“Me neither” she said hanging up, as I reached the ice and strapped on my skates and gear.

I went through my normal routine that I have been doing since my first day here and almost every day there has been the same person on the upper deck watching me.

As I skated off the ice I waved at Ralph the Zamboni driver as he came onto the ice.

I got through the locker room work with plenty of time to spare before practice, so now I was just stuck doing orders and answering emails. I was currently ordering more tape when Kaner walked in to my office in only his under gear.

“What can I do for you Kaner?” I asked submitting the order form and leaning back in my chair.

“Can’t a guy just come and visit with a friend without a hidden agenda?” he asked with an innocent look.

“A guy yes, but you no.” I smirked at him as he threw his hands up in the air in defeat.

“Fine you caught me. I kind of need your help.”

“What do you need?” I asked.

“Well I have a date tomorrow night and—“

“Patrick Kane has an actual real life date? Should I be alerting the presses?” I interrupted him.

“Shut it” he blushed. “Any way the only way I could get her to go out with me is by going on a double date with Jon and I mighthavesaidthatitwasyouandJon.” He mumbled the last part.

“Patrick Timothy Kane” I said sternly causing him to crince at his full name. “Why would you say that?”

“Because I really wanted to go out with her, she seems different” he said “and besides you are a good judge of character and I want your opinion because most of the time I think with the wrong head.” He laughed at his own dirty joke.

“Well I do have a friend in town but she won’t mind me helping you for a couple of hours.” I said “But Jon has to agree and you are so going to owe me.” I finished as Seabs and Duncs came in carrying a girl dressed in black by her arms.

“I think this belongs to you.” Seabs said gesturing with his freehand to the girl, who looked up.

“Kyle, what were you doing?” I questioned taking in her black wr paint.

“Oh you know the usual, just acting like a ninja.” She said with the British accent that she picked up from studying abroad.

“You aren’t a very good ninja considering you got caught,” Kaner said which in turn earned him a glare,

“JD, can you tell your gorillas to let go of me now?” She asked causing the guys to set her down.

“We’re not gorillas” they both mumbled as they headed to the locker room.

“Wait don’t you want a banana?” Kyle said pulling a banana out of nowhere and throwing it at Seab’s back.

“What the hell?” Seabs said turning around picking up the banana and eating it, before continuing to the locker room.

“Who was the one who just ate the banana? Kyle asked.

“Brent Seabrook.”

“Hmmmm, Seabrook” she thought out loud.

“What is she doing?” Kaner asked confused,

“Trying to see if Seabrook goes along with Kyle.” I stated.

“Yup it could work.” She said coming back to the real world.

“Wow” Kane said earning him another glare.

“I need to make sure our names go together before I date anyone.” She said walking over to Kane. “And what is your name?”

“Kane, Patrick Kane” he said smugly.

“Oh like the hockey player?” She asked.

“Yes like the hockey player” he said in the duh voice.

“Tell me Patrick how do you score from the left side?”

“Well I” he started before finally realizing that she was toying with him. “Are you two sisters?”

“Surprisingly no” I said with a grin.

“But we are one soul split in between two bodies.” Kyle said.

“Well the, I should take that as my cue to leave” Kaner said getting up. “Thanks Jay for helping me out tomorrow”

“Remember to ask Jon” I yelled behind him.

“What was that about?” Kyle questioned

“Oh you know Kaner just needs a little help with the girls.” I smirked grabbing my bag.

“He would need help” she laughed.

“Yeah but now it is time for me to go to work and for you to watch me work.”

“You know I would normally complain but watching you work means I get to watch hot sweaty hockey players practice.” She smiled at me. I just started laughing because a few of the players were walking past my office at the time of her little spiel.

“Hot sweaty hockey players, eh?” Sharpie said walking into my office.

“Oh god.” Kyle blushed “Did you know they were behind me?”

“Yup” I laughed and shoved Sharpie out the door.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

Practice went very well, especially well because we all wanted to kick Vancouver’s ass into the next millennia from what happened last year.

“Hey Tazer, can I ask you for a huge favor?” Kane asked me as we got to the locker room.

“Well that depends on what the favor is.” I said as I watched his face become flushed.

“You got to promise me you won’t laugh” I nodded. “Well I asked a girl out yesterday but the only way she would agree to go out with me is if you were there so I told her you would go out with us on a double date.”

“You what?” I said a little louder than I should have which caused our teammates to look in our direction.

“Dude keep it down, would ya?”

“Sorry but an, why would you say that?”

“Because she seems different.” He said still flushed.

“How am I supposed to find a date by tomorrow?”

“I kind of told her that it was you and Jayden.” I just groaned.

“Have you asked her?” I said hoping that Jayden would turn him down.

“Yeah she said she would do it as long as you agreed.” Kane said hopeful. Of course she would she is too nice to turn down someone in need.

“Fine, I will help you but you are going to owe me big” I told him as I finished getting changed,

When everyone was done changing we decided to go out to lunch,

“Jayden! Do you and Kyle want to go out to lunch with us?” Kaner screamed while running into Jayden’s office, as I stood outside the door.

“Sure” I heard Jayden reply before Kaner screamed like a little girl.”

“Wow, Kaner you can’t act any more like a girl can you?” I joked as he came out of the office.

“Shut it Tazer.” He shoved me.

“Hey Jon” Jayden said out of politeness which I returned with a head nod, before another girl came out of her office, that I did not recognize.

“John this is my best friend Kyle, Kyle you know who this is.” Jayden introduced us. Wait that’s Kyle?” Her best friend is a girl? Then that must be the girl who slept with John. How could Jay be friends with her still.

“Nice to meet you Jon,” she said sticking out her hand.

“Same” I said a little coldly and gripped her hand a little harder than necessary which caused Kaner to give me a glare.

“Let’s go eat” Jay said trying to defuse the tension.

“Yes, me hungry, me want food.” Sharpie said walking by us.

Throughout lunch Jayden and Kyle sat next to Sharpie wand whispered between each other. After what I heard of how Kyle entered the rink today, it makes me worry about having their minds so close together.

~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~19~

“I can’t believe I agreed to this” I said to Jayden as I tied my tie for the thousandth time trying to get it straight.

“Seriously, I am just wondering how much of a puck bunny she is.” Jayden said from her room.

“What makes you say that?”

“Well why else would she only agree if you were there?”

“I never thought of…” Jayden walked out of her room. “Damn”

“What?” She asked.

“You’re gorgeous,” I stuttered causing her to blush,

“Thank you” she said trying to hide her face. “Anyway back to Kaner’s date.”

“Yeah do you think she will be all over me?” I said getting really nervous about going now.

“Yes, but if you need any help from me we should come up with a code word if something happens, but I can’t figure out a word or phrase.”

“Well since we are supposed to be on a date, we could act like we have been dating for a while and when I need your help I can say I love you or something.”

“Yeah that could work” she smiled and laughed “because the only code phrase I could think of was let’s go Sabres.” She smirked.

“Let’s go Sabres? I always thought it was let’s go Buffalo.”

“It is let’s go Buffalo but my family said let’s go Buffalo no matter where we were, we could have been at a high school game or a professional game or even a graduation. So we changed the saying so that people wouldn’t question it.”

“Makes sense but I don’t think that would be a good code phrase for me.”

“No, no it wouldn’t, but it would be funny though.” She gave me a small smile.

“So where is Kyle?” I asked curious.

“She is at the restaurant already just in case Kaner needs some back up.”

“Mmmm, smart thinking.” I said starting to feel a little bit more relaxed about tonight,

“Yeah, I’m a genius but we should probably get going so we are not late.”

We got to the restaurant and were the first ones there. I was able to spot Kyle up by the bar.

Jayden and I waited in awkward silence for a little while until she finally broke the ice.

“So is there any good food here?” she asked looking through her menu.

“My favorites are the chicken cordon bleu and the chicken parmesan.” I said causing her to scowl at me.

“You are absolutely no help.” She said.

“What why?” I acted offended.

“Because those are the two I can’t choose between.”

“Ok, I have a proposition for you then.” I started waiting for her nod of approval. “Well if you get the chicken parmesan, I will get the cordon bleu and we can share.”

“Aw, sharing food how cute.” Kaner’s voice came out of nowhere.

“You’re just jealous because he isn’t sharing his food with you.” Jayden quickly came back.

“I know since you have been in the picture he doesn’t share his food with me anymore.” He fake sobbed.

“Oh stop it” came a nasally voice next to Patrick.

“Jayden, Jon, this is Carissa, Carissa this is Jayden and Jon.” Pat introduced us. Carissa sent a wink my way and a glare Jayden’s way.

Damn this is going to be a long night I thought as Pat and Carissa sat down.

“Pat” Carissa whined, “there is a draft at my seat can I switch with Jayden.” Wait if she switched with Jayden she would be across from Pat but right next to me, great.

“Sure” Pat said without asking Jayden for permission. I must have tensed up because before Jayden stood up she grabbed my hand under the table and squeezed it reassuringly before whispering in my ear.

“Relax, remember our code phrase if anything happens. Now don’t freak out, I am just going to kiss you on the cheek for show.” She finished with the kiss on the cheek, which caused me to blush a little.

“So Jayden, how did you and Jonny meet?”

“We met at the United Center, after one of his games. I was trying to find my car, when I stumbled upon Jon. He walked me to the car and we just hit it off.” Jayden made up.

“Wow that was sweet of you.” Carissa said grabbing my knee. My facial expression must have given something away to Jayden.

“Are you alright babe?” Jayden asked me.

“Yeah I just have a pain in my leg.” I said trying to give Carissa a hint but only Jayden understood it.

“I’ll massage your legs when we get back home.” Jayden smirked which caught Carissa’s attention.

“Wait you guys live together?” she questioned.

“Yeah” was all we were able to say before the waitress came and took our order. While waiting for our food Carissa’s hand just kept creeping up my leg no matter how many times I pushed it away.

When our food finally came, I had enough of Carissa’s touchy feely hands, so I finally put our code phrase to good use. Jayden finished splitting up the food so we each had a little bit.

“Thanks Jay. I love you.” I said as casually as I could which caused Kane to choke on his food but Jayden understood.

“Your welcome” she said with a shiver. “Babe I feel the draft Carissa was feeling earlier do you mind switching seats?”

“Of course not, Sweetheart.” I said getting up at the same time as Jayden. When we passed by I gave her a little kiss on the cheek which made Carissa glare at Jayden again.

Half-way through dinner Carissa had Jayden go to the bathroom with her. When they came back I had a feeling that shit had just gone down. Jayden was upset but kept up the act of us dating, to the point where she would hold my hand over the table. This caused Carissa to get even angrier than she already was and ignore Patrick more than she was before.

Finally when the check came, Patrick paid and we all walked out to the parking lot. We were saying our goodbyes when Carissa hugged me and kissed me full out on the lips. “What the fuck?” Jayden and Patrick yelled at the same time.

“I was just…” Carissa tried to explain herself.

“Going for the money,” Kyle finished Carissa’s statement as she walked out of the restaurant. “Jeez Patrick, I know you want me so you go out with girls to try to make me jealous but why would you ever stoop to her?” Kyle said walking right up to Kane.

“Uh” Kane stuttered before getting the picture. “Because if I dated someone who I would normally date then I wouldn’t get your attention, but since I went on a date with a slut I got you attention.”

“What did you just call me?” Carissa asked offended.

“You heard me loud and clear, I called you a slut.” Patrick said as Kyle wrapped her arm around his waist.

“I am not a slut!” she screamed.

“Oh really, then why did you just kiss my boyfriend.” Jayden stated shocking me when she said boyfriend before I remembered our little scene we were putting on. However her just saying that warmed my heart a little bit, I must be a little lonely.

“Because he is more famous than Patrick and he has more money to spend on me.” She stated sticking out her fake tits.

“So you’re not just a slut you are a puck slut.” Jayden said.

“I don’t know what that is.” Carissa whined.

“Well obviously,” Jayden said with tude.

“I don’t have to take this” Carissa whined. “Patrick, take me home.”

“No, take a cab.” Kaner said putting his arm around Kyle’s shoulder and turning back towards his car, while I put my arm around Jayden’s shoulder and walked towards my car.

“What the hell.” Carissa screamed.

“Do you want to make her even more pissed?” I leant down and whispered into Jayden’s ear.

“That would be entertaining.” She said as I pulled her closer to me and leant down and kissed her. She was surprised but once she got passed the shock she started kissing me back. We got so into the kiss that I forgot where I was and who I was kissing until Jayden was pulled away from me and was punched in the side of her face by Carissa.

“What the hell.” Jayden said punching Carissa in her face causing her to fall to the ground. “Next time think about who you are about to punch before you punch them bitch.” Jayden said walking away and getting into my car with me quickly.

The ride back to our place was quiet. We both didn’t say anything until we got inside the apartment and I turned to look at her when I saw the huge bruise that had formed on her face.

“Well I am going to get you some ice.” I said turning to her but she had already left for her room, I grabbed the ice and went to give it to her, but when I knocked there was no answer so I opened the door worrying about her. But there she was in just her pajama bottoms and a bra. “I am so sorry I knocked but you didn’t reply so I started to worry I brought you ice.

“Thanks” she smiled slightly at me as she stepped forward to take the ice out of my hand. But I didn’t give it to her instead I pulled her closer to me and held the ice on her face.

“Jayden...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Cliffhanger, hope you enjoyed. :) Comment and Subscribe, and if any of you know any good Zach Parise stories I would love to read them, I am hooked on his stories right now!