Status: This story is most likely on permanent hiatus. I'm sorry. If you really want to know how it ends, message me. I most likely won't be finishing it.

Up All Night

Coffee Shop Conversation

The coffee shop smelt of hazelnut, chocolate, cinnamon and vanilla, all intermingled with the sharp, tangy smell of freshly ground coffee. The shop was small, but not cramped, and filled with couples, friends and lone coffee drinkers. The warmth of the shop hit the five boys like a runaway train when Niall opened the door, and they eagerly crammed inside, trying to get away from the biting winter air.

Harry looked around, but couldn’t spot his sister and cousin, so the boys headed for a large booth towards the back of the shop. Brightly lit lamps were placed on each table, and Louis draped his red scarf over theirs, dimming the light and casting a nice glow.

They were already ordering when the shop bell tinkled cheerily and an excitable voice yelled “Harry!” Louis focused on the menu as the waitress stood, patiently poised to write his order.

“I’ll have a hazelnut and cinnamon latte, and a slice of carrot cake,” he told the waitress, before folding up his menu and handing it to her. It was only when she’d left – having already taken the other orders – that Louis looked up. He saw Harry with his back turned to the group, hugging someone tightly. Seeing a girl with brown curls peaking out from under her beanie, the elder boy assumed that she was Isobel, Harry’s sister, and he was currently hugging his cousin Marlene. The two broke away, but Marlene went to the counter to order for herself and Isobel.

Louis hadn’t yet seen her face, but her hair transfixed him. It was long, and fell down her back in messy curls. It reminded him of that brief meeting two years ago with the beautiful, nameless girl. The waitress returned with the boys’ orders, placing a steaming mug in front of each of them, and a generous slice of carrot cake and a fork next to Louis. The nineteen-year-old thanked her and, ignoring the fork, began to pull the cake apart with his fingers.

He was savouring the cream cheese icing when Isobel asked Harry how they’d managed to get out of the house. Liam answered for him, Harry having just taken a rather large draught of his coffee.

“We got permission,” Liam said. “All we needed to say was that Harry’s cousin was in town, and because she only comes once a year, he wanted to see her. That was it, really.” He grinned. “Simple, and the truth.”

Isobel smiled. “Well, it’s good you were able to make it! Marlene came at a good time – I’ve been wanting to meet you all for a while and now I’ve got Marlene as my excuse!”

As if on cue, the cousin returned bearing two steaming mugs. “I got you a raspberry tea, ‘Bels, ‘cause I don’t think you need a whole heap of caffeine and sugar in you. You’re hyper enough already.” That voice. Louis looked up from his cake and the girl placed the mugs on the table and seated herself across from him.

He nearly choked. It was her. The girl from two years ago - his lost beauty - was sitting opposite him, unwinding her long, thin scarf from around her neck and shrugging off her heavy jacket, unaware that he was staring.

Harry took the moment to formally introduce everyone. “Guys, this is my little sister Isobel, and my cousin Marlene. ‘Bels, Mars, this is Liam, Niall, Zayn and Louis! And I’m Harry.”

The group laughed, and Louis found himself noting that her laugh had a slightly raspy edge to it. She peeled off her gloves, and a silver cladagh ring glinted on her right index finger. The bottom of the heart pointed away from her body. That meant she was single. Louis could barely hide his smile, and instead made a point of taking a large gulp of his coffee, almost inhaling it.

When he placed it back on the table, he noticed she was looking at his over the rim of her drink. The others were deep in conversation, and from what he could hear, they were telling Isobel about life in the house.

“Sorry,” Marlene said, diverting her gaze. “I know it’s rude to stare, but I’m trying to work out where I’ve seen you before. When I saw you on TV the other night, it was instant recognition. I know I’ve seen you someplace before, but I don’t know where.”

She then continued to study him for a few moments, and Louis’ heart sank to his stomach, sitting heavily. His appetite failed him, and he pushed away the last remaining bits of his cake. She didn’t remember. Of course not – what had he been expecting? They’d only spoken for five minutes, and the only reason he remembered her so well was because he’d been watching her for a good ten minutes before working up the nerve to talk to her.

Louis was surprised at how physically his heart had begun to hurt. His chest began to ache slightly, and he pressed against it as if it would help.

The girl looked at him curiously. “Are you okay?”

He nodded curtly, a spasm of pain shooting through his chest. What the hell is this? Louis thought in wonder. Is it some kind of bloody stroke? “Sorry, I think I drank the hot coffee too fast. And uh, you’ve probably just seen me in a crowd or something,” he responded, deciding resolutely not to tell her the truth. She’d probably think him crazy if he told her he remembered their meeting.

“So, what’s fame like?” she queried.

Soon the two were deep into conversation, and the ache in Louis’ chest began to ebb away. He quickly realised that Marlene didn’t smile much. She laughed often, but, as she told him when he brought up his observation, it took a lot to make her smile. A laugh could be faked easily, but a real smile, she said, was impossible to fake. It was how people could gauge her happiness. If she was really, truly, blissfully happy, she’d smile and it would be reflected in her hazel eyes.

“Plus,” she added, draining the last of her coffee, “I abstained from smiling mostly ‘cause it pissed off my mum. She was always telling me how pretty I looked smiling, and how it pleased people to see me smile. Those comments annoyed me, even at five years of age, and so I was gradually able to stop myself from smiling. I honestly don’t think I’ve smiled in my mum’s presence since I was six.”

Louis couldn’t imagine not getting along with his mum. “You don’t like her, then?” he asked.

Marlene shook her head. “Not particularly. I don’t think she ever really wanted a kid. But she made mistakes in high school, got pregnant at sixteen to a doped-up dropout and nine months later, I was introduced into the world. Her best friend took the most care of me for the first two years as mum did a beauty apprenticeship, and eventually she was able to open her own shop. She’s thinking of turning it into a franchise, and hasn’t got time for me anymore. Yet she still manages to lecture me nightly about my future academic career. ’Either you go to university and get a good degree, or you marry someone famous!’” Marlene’s voice was bitter as she mocked her mother’s words. “That’s what she says to me every night, without fail. I’ve either gotta get a good job that pays well, or I’ve got to marry someone rich. There’s no other option, in her mind.”

“Oh, are we complaining about Aunt Faith?” Isobel interrupted. “I love complaining about Aunt Faith! For a beauty parlour owner, her make up is always atrocious.”

Marlene snorted, hiding her laugh behind her hand, and Harry looked horrified. “Isobel! Even though that’s true, you don’t say that about family!”

The young girl looked put out, and Marlene hugged her. “Thanks, ‘Bels. I can always count on you to say the right thing.” She looked at Louis, eyes twinkling. “See? It’s not just me that complains about her. She’s a workaholic and I’m resentful of that.” She glanced at her watch. “What? Where did the time go! ‘Bels, we gotta go or we’ll be late home!”

She looked at Louis, feeling guilty. “I’m sorry,” she apologised. “I didn’t mean to spend that whole time bitching about my mum.”

Louis waved her apology away. “It’s alright – I did ask. And we spent a good deal of time talking about X Factor and my singing, so don’t feel too bad.”

She looked at him, grateful, as she wound her scarf around her neck and slipped on her gloves and coat. “Next time we’ll focus on you,” she said. “And maybe I’ll have remembered where I’ve seen you before.”

Louis smiled softly. “Maybe.”

Everyone paid for their drinks and left at the same time, the boys going in one direction and the girls in the other, with the promise to meet again in a week’s time at the same place.

As Isobel and Marlene trudged home, the younger girl only had one question. “What did you think of Louis?”

Marlene looked at her, silent for a few moments. “I liked him. He’s nice and polite, and he’s got a lovely voice. He’s cute too,” she added, knowing that’s what her cousin wanted to hear, “though I still don’t know where I’ve seen him.”

“Niall’s cute too,” Isobel replied, nonchalantly. “I noticed him looking at you. I reckon it’s ‘cause you’re both Irish – well, you’re half-Irish anyway. That’s what Aunt Faith says, right? Your dad was Irish?”

Marlene nodded. “Yup. He was an Irish stoner dropout who moved at Australia with his family six years before he knocked up my mum. That’s all I know about him. I’ve got such lovely parentage.”

The two girls laughed.

“I think Niall thought you were pretty,” Isobel said teasingly. “Louis certainly did.”

A pink flush stole across Marlene’s cheeks. “Oh, shut up! You’re such a trouble maker.”

Isobel giggled, and the two walked home talking about the boys and the competition.
♠ ♠ ♠
I made a One Direction pun unintentionally and I laughed out loud when I realised. I'm sick and so my brain finds little things very funny.
Hope you liked the update! I have no idea whether any part of the X Factor took part during winter, but I like writing about winter so I'm just going to pretend it did. I feel awful that I barely mentioned Zayn, and that he and Niall didn't get any lines. But don't fret! They will eventually :)
Comments are much appreciated, as they always are.
Dedication to Mirror.Mirror, Samantha Irene and a2nnyka for their lovely comments and 1D fics, and story whoring for this Harry Styles fic by Mirror.Mirror. It's so cute :3