Status: This story is most likely on permanent hiatus. I'm sorry. If you really want to know how it ends, message me. I most likely won't be finishing it.

Up All Night

Pre-date Preening

Niall shrugged into his charcoal grey jacket, dusted off an imaginary piece of fluff, and turned to face his friends.

“Thoughts?”

“You look great, man,” Zayn replied, fixing Niall’s hair and taking a step backwards. “She’d be crazy not to think you’re a catch.”

Louis stayed silent. He didn’t trust himself to say anything. If anyone had cared to know enough, they would have seen the lightning in his eyes, the thunderclouds on his brow, the storm stirring in his mind. He was torn. On one hand, he didn’t want Niall going anywhere near Marlene – not if he could help it. She was Louis mystery beauty, not Niall’s. Louis had been the one to see her two years previous; he had been the one who help her find her relative (whom, he realised with a jolt, must have been Harry); and he had been the one who had fallen in love with her the second he had seen her standing in the bitter cold.

A faint flush turned his cheeks pink as he acknowledged this realisation. He was in love with Marlene, and he had known it this whole time but had chosen to ignore it and stay silent. And now Niall – smart, funny, charismatic Niall – was going on a date with Marlene.

It should be me going on this date Louis thought sullenly. Not damn Niall. Yet he managed to hide his annoyance, and smile. “You look good, mate. Where’re you taking her?”

Niall named a slightly upmarket restaurant, and Louis couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow in contempt. Even Harry seemed a little surprised. He had mentioned several times that Marlene preferred understated to overstated, simplicity over complexity, intimacy over formality. In short, Marlene liked to keep things plain, simple and inexpensive. Harry looked as though he wasn’t sure what his cousin would think about eating at a fancy restaurant.

The blonde Irish boy, however, didn’t notice the look on his friend’s faces, and concentrated on fixing his hair in the mirror. Finally satisfied with it, he shot his friends a confident smile and grabbed his belongings.

“Harry, you sure you’re okay with this, man?”

Harry shook his head slightly. “’Course not. She’s my favourite cousin. It’s weird knowing she’s going on a date with a friend of mine. But, I’m not gonna tell Mars what she can and cannot do. You’re both adults. And you’re both older than me so…” Harry shrugged, glancing at Louis. “Not much I can do about it.”

Louis’ heart gave a sharp pang, but he ignored the look Harry was giving him. It was almost as if Harry was saying ‘I’d prefer if she were with you.’ Louis dismissed that thought instantly. His heart was just playing tricks on his mind.

Niall gave himself one last brush down, glanced at the clock and bounded to the door. It was clear to everyone in the room that he was very excited – nervous, yes, but excited. He flashed the boys a wide grin.

“Wish me luck! I doubt I’ll be home early.”

And with that, he disappeared out the door and into the light rain.

Louis watched him go, able to hear his blood rushing around in his head. He couldn’t hear anything but his blood; couldn’t see anything except for Niall’s cheeky grin that had etched itself into his brain. He tried not to feel jealous, but he couldn’t help it. Niall was so much more confident than he would ever be, and Louis knew that is was that confidence that girls found attractive.

He sighed, his inner ragings dying down. He was vaguely aware of Harry’s arm around him, and the whispering in his ear. Zayn and Liam had disappeared, no doubt to find something to eat. Louis blinked hard, and slowly regained his hearing ability.

“What?”

Harry sighed, his chocolate curls falling in his face. “You like her, don’t you? I remember you telling us once about this girl you met and how she was lost and looking for a café where her relative was. You kept saying how pretty the girl was. That was Marlene, wasn’t it? And I was the cousin. Am I right?”

Louis nodded miserably. “Yeah. I’m sorry, Harry. She doesn’t even remember who I am.”

Harry hugged his friend tight. “S’alright. She did mention you when she got to the café, just so y’know. Said a really cute, attractive boy helped her ‘cause she was lost.”

Louis smiled wryly. “Liar. But thanks, Harry. It’d be horrible if her and Niall start dating, but at the same time… they suit each other.”

He gave Harry a tight squeeze, and flopped down onto the couch, eyes closed.

“Wake me when dinner’s ready.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Niall's such a peacock, okay. I hate how my first chapter is so beautifully descriptive, and every chapter since has been... shit. I think the description fairy possessed me when I wrote that chapter, and then disappeared :c