Enchanted

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

“Bella, hi,” I said into the phone.

“Oh my gosh, Alyssa! How have you been?” Bella sounded overly cheerful and glad to hear me calling her.

“I’ve been fine,” I said smiling at the phone. “I’m supposed to be asking you that though. Are you still on your honeymoon?”

“Uh, no,” said Bella sounding slightly awkward. I could see the frown on her face. “I-I caught a bug or something. I’ve been sick lately.”

“I don’t believe you,” I said after a moment of contemplating it.

“No, I really am. I’m in one of the local hospitals right now.” She spoke quickly and worriedly.

“Isabella Swan, I have known you since we were in kindergarten practically. You cannot pull the wool over my eyes.”

“Alyssa, I don’t know what to tell you. I’m not lying. I’m really sick.”

“I believe that you’re sick or not feeling well, yes. I can hear the truth there. But you did not catch a bug and are not in a hospital. What’s going on, Bella?” I asked her gently in a way that I knew she would want to open up to me.

“I…I can’t tell you,” said Bella sounding defeated. I could hear the strain seep into her voice.

“Bella, I’m worried about you now.” The worry was plain and evident in my voice.

“I’ll be fine,” she said. “It won’t be much longer and I’ll be perfectly fine.”

“Are you getting proper medical attention? You’re not still on your honeymoon are you?”

“No, no, I’m fine. I’m being taken good care of.”

“Bella, where are you?” I asked. “I want to come see you.”

“No, no, that’s not a good idea,” said Bella. “I’m not really in the best of shape.”

“Oh, please,” I scoffed. “Like I care about your physical appearance. I’m just concerned about you.”

“Alyssa, don’t worry about me. I’m being taken good care of, trust me.” I stayed silent for a moment before I asked my next question.

“Bella, please, I want to see you and make sure you’re okay. I want to be there to pat your hand and tell you stories like I used to. Please, Bella.”

“Alyssa, you can’t.”

“Why not?” I asked frowning at Sita who now watched me at the phone.

“I-I-I wouldn’t want you to get sick.”

“Okay, Bella. If you say so.” I said it in a high and almost taunting voice. On the other end Bella groaned.

“Goodbye, Alyssa,” said Bella, sighing.

“Goodbye, Bella,” I said with a smile and then hung up the phone.

Image


“This isn’t good,” said Bella as she looked up at Edward.

“Why do you say that?” he asked sitting down beside her and handing her the phone back.

“The thing about Alyssa is…once she gets a hold on something she usually doesn’t let go. Especially when it comes to someone she cares about. She’s very protective.” Bella frowned and looked down at the phone.

“She’s worried about you. The same as everybody else here is.” Edward gently put his hand over Bella’s in a comforting way.

“It’s only a matter of time now,” mumbled Bella. She was suddenly overcome by exhaustion and told Edward so. He brought her over some more pillows and blankets where she gently laid down and took a nap.

Image


“Hello, Charlie,” I said cheerfully in the phone.

“Why hello, Alyssa,” he said sounding surprised but pleased to hear my voice. “What are you calling for?”

“I’m calling about Bella,” I said biting my lip in nervousness. “I called and she didn’t sound too well. She wasn’t really telling me much either. I was hoping you’d know more.”

“She didn’t tell me much either. She just said that she was sick and in a hospital. I wish I could tell you more. She’s worrying me.” I sighed knowing I had hit a dead end with this.

“Thank you, Charlie,” I said with a smile on my face even though he couldn’t see it. “If I find something out I’ll tell you,” I promised.

“If anyone can get to the bottom of Bella it’s you,” he agreed. “Good luck.”

“Thanks, Charlie. Bye.” He returned the departure and we both hung up the phone. I turned to Sita who lay a few feet away from me.

“I don’t know if I can call him,” I told her. She turned her head towards me and stared at me. I did feel a bit crazy when I talked to my dog but honestly I had no one else. The numbers still burned in my head. I had them memorized by now. She wagged her tail, happy to have my attention. “Maybe another day,” I said and walked away from the phone.

Image


I woke up with a start. My heart was beating frantically in my chest and my body was covered in a layer of sweat that not even a trip to the gym accomplished. But aside from that was the overwhelming feeling a fear. It was crushing in around me, suffocating me.

Before I knew what I was doing I flung off the covers of my bed and with shaking hands I went to my phone and began dialing a number. I waited, biting my lip and casting my eyes nervously around the room as the phone rang.

Sita followed me out of the bedroom looking wide-awake and staring at me with as much concern as a dog could. I reached out a hand towards her and she pressed her nose into it before I rubbed the top of her hand. “Hello,” came a voice that was deep and thick with sleep. As his voice hit my ears I stilled every motion. Even my breathing stopped in my throat. “Hello?” he asked again.

Immediately I hung up the phone. His voice had been like a bucket of cold water on me. As the phone hung up I sat down in the chair at the kitchen table. I practically sunk into it. Putting my elbows on the table I put my head in my hands. I had been stupid to call him.

Tears came to my eyes and my chin wobbled. I felt stupid for crying but I didn’t know what else to do. All these emotions were bubbling up in me. The dream had scared me. It was like they were getting worse as the time went on. They were emotionally draining me. And they were scaring me.

It had been about three weeks since Bella’s wedding, a week since I talked to Bella. Charlie still hadn’t heard anything. Bella still refused to tell either of us much of anything. I was concerned about her and scared that she wouldn’t accept me being there.

I remembered a moment from the dream then and a whimper escaped my throat.

I walked through the forest of La Push, a place that I had come to visit often in my dreams. It was darker now than the first time. The moon didn’t penetrate as well and sinister shadows and vines crept in on me. I felt like I was being watched and the hair on my neck stood up.

I kept walking though and as I rounded a boulder I was met with the face of Jacob. He was now in every dream I had. It was like he was haunting me and I couldn’t get rid of him. It was either him or some wolf but I felt his presence regardless. “Jacob,” I said acknowledging him as I always did.

As he stepped forward and away from the shadow, the breath I was taking caught in my throat. Jacob looked like a mess. There were dark circles under his eyes and his hair looked longer and unkempt. He almost looked thinner too like he was losing weight. It wasn’t until I met his eyes did I see the tears that were held there.

“Alyssa, please,” said Jacob. He reached forward and took my hand. His hand almost felt cool to my touch and I grew concerned. He had always been so warm, almost burning. “Please, come back to me.”

“Jacob,” I said, my throat clogging. It hurt me to see him like this. “I can’t. I don’t want to be a part of your world.”

Jacob dropped down onto his knees in front of me. “Alyssa, I am begging you to come back. I need you. I love you.” I backed away from him with tears in my eyes.

“I can’t do it, Jacob,” I said shaking my head. I looked away from him and pulled my hand away from his. As it left his it felt like I had dunked it in ice.

“Then you have killed me,” said Jacob who had tears running down his face. “There is no life for me without you.” He then got up and ran away before I could stop him or say something.

“Jacob!” I called into the forest. I took a step to go after him but was met with answering growls. They seemed to come from all around me in the forest. One by one pairs of eyes appeared. I knew they belonged to the wolves.

“You have killed Jake!” one of them accused. “You are a heartless person.”

“You killed him,” said a black wolf striding forward. It spoke even though its mouth didn’t move. “You killed him and now it’s your turn.” He suddenly lunged forward and the last thing I saw before I woke up were glinting canines headed for my throat.


Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Things took a darker turn for Alyssa :(

Don't be a silent reader! I can see that 51 people have already read my last chapter. I think I got two wonderful comments. Feedback is encouraging, people!