Enchanted

I'll spend forever wondering if you knew

“Jake,” said Bella in surprise. He glanced towards her for an instant before turning back to me.

“What are you doing here?” he asked me. He tried to ask gently but you could feel anger coming from him. He was slightly shaking as he glanced around at all the Cullens. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine, Jacob,” I said lightly. His name tingled on my tongue and I found I wanted to say it over and over. He came forward and stood over me. I shifted away from him and towards Bella.

“Your dogs whining in the car,” said Jacob conversationally.

“How do you know?” I asked accusingly. I narrowed my eyes at him slightly.

“Because I can hear it,” he said with a smug look. “Wolf senses.” I bit my lower lip before I stood up.

“Bella, I’m not going to leave when you’re…like this,” I said for lack of a better word. “I want to make sure you’re okay. Charlie is worried sick about you.” Bella winced at the mention of her father.

“I know that, Ally. But I don’t want him involved. He can’t know.” I nodded. I knew exactly what she meant. My father would freak out if he knew giant wolves existed and whatever Edward/ the Cullens were.

“I’m going to take care of, Sita. I’ll be back.” I took a few steps towards the door. I stopped and looked back at Jacob. As his eyes met mine he quickly began to follow me and the both of us left the house and went out to my car.

Sita was pacing around in the seat as I approached the car. When I opened the door she immediately jumped out and began sniffing me up and down. Once she made sure I was okay, she turned her attention to Jacob. Her eyes were wary and guarded as she looked at him.

Jacob took a step forward to probably let her sniff him. Sita growled warningly at him. I shifted and bumped into her side as she did so. She cut off mid-growl and looked at me. Slowly I reached out and touched Jacob’s arm gently.

I felt the now familiar heat I had grown used to from my dreams. Sita let out a huff before she turned and began to sniff around the ground. “She seems very protective of you,” commented Jacob. As he spoke I quickly retracted my hand from his arm.

“She is. We have our own pack.” I avoided Jacob’s eyes and instead focused on Sita. I gazed at her fondly knowing that she would protect me from something that tried to hurt me.

“She looks like a wolf,” Jacob said, the interest seeping into his voice.

“She’s part wolf,” I said crossing my arms. “My mother and father bought her for me as a sort of therapy. I used to not even like dogs at all. But Sita helped me to get over that a bit. Obviously I’m still not fully accustomed to wolves,” I said with a slight smile. It dropped though as I glanced at Jacob cautiously.

He was watching me with a soft expression. His whole body was turned towards me and you could tell he was listening intently to every word I said. “Sita,” I called as I felt she had wandered too far away from me. I didn’t want her getting lost.

She turned her head towards me and slowly trotted over, coming to sit down beside me. “Why did you come here, Jacob?” I asked. “Not that I didn’t want you to,” I said quickly. “It just seems peculiar that you did.”

A smirk appeared on Jacob’s face as he looked at me. “I don’t exactly trust the Cullens. You being around them makes me worried.”

“I’m a big girl. I can take care of myself,” I said defensively. “You don’t need to protect me.”

“But I want to,” said Jacob. He tensed as he let the words slip from his lips. “Plus you don’t know what they are.”

“They wouldn’t tell me,” I said shaking my head. “They said you should. Or rather Edward said you should. What are they, Jacob?”

Jacob shifted nervously as he looked at me. You could see him debating it in his head. And you could see the moment he decided to tell me. “Vampires. They’re vampires.”

“Vampires?” I asked. I knew he wasn’t lying. But it was hard to wrap my mind around the concept.

“Yup,” said Jacob watching me closely.

“Well, okay then,” I said biting my lip. “I’m not sure whether I should just go back home or if I’m strong enough to get through this.”

“I think you are,” said Jacob. He touched my arm in a reassuring gesture and the skin tingled from the warmth of his touch.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. “Well, I need to go find out what’s going on with Bella,” I said. “I need to make sure she’ll be okay.”

“I’ll come with you,” said Jacob as he heard the worry seep into my voice.

Carlisle opened the door once we approached. Apparently as a vampire he could easily hear these things. We walked back into the living room while Jacob stayed close by my side.

I sat down on the couch again next to Bella. She looked worried and the fact that she had dark circles under her eyes didn’t make her look any better. She definitely looked sick. “Bella, what’s going on?” I asked as Jacob sat down next to me on the couch. I could feel the warmth from him on my back and it was tempting to just lean back into him.

Bella looked worried at my question. I could see her debating on what to tell me and what not to tell me. She glanced at Rose before looking over at Edward. Neither of them answered her questioning gaze and she turned back to me looking more worried. “I’m pregnant,” she said. Her gaze flickered from mine over to Jacob’s. I was tempted to look at him myself, wondering how he’d reacted.

“It’s Edward’s isn’t it?” I assumed.

“Who else would it be?” snapped Bella harshly.

“Well, since he’s a vampire I would imagine you couldn’t get pregnant from him. Aren’t they supposed to be infertile or something?” I frowned as I tried to figure it out. If they could get pregnant then I’m sure there would be a lot more vampire babies running around.

“Well, we didn’t know,” mumbled Bella and looked down at the blanket that was on her lap. She fingered the edge of it nervously. “Guys, can Alyssa and I have some privacy to discuss this?”

“Sure,” said Edward immediately. He immediately began to move towards the door. The other family members began to follow him. Rose still stood in the same spot next to Bella.

“Rose, I’m fine. Alyssa isn’t going to do anything.” With a warning look at me Rose turned with a toss of her hair and exited the room. “Sorry about her,” Bella apologized. “She’s a bit intense about protecting me.” Suddenly Bella looked up to where Jacob still sat behind me. “You leave too,” she said with a slight glare at him.

“Bells, we can hear you throughout the house anyway. What’s the difference whether I’m here or not?” He did make a solid point but I knew where Bella was coming from.

“Well, if you leave I don’t have to look at you.” The small smile on Bella’s face made me think she should stick her tongue out at him as well.

“Ouch,” said Jacob standing up, pretending to be hurt. I glanced over at him to see that he’d covered his heart with his hand. “I see how it is.” With that he strode out of the room shutting the door behind him.

Once he was gone I slid my eyes back to Bella. “How are you pregnant?” I asked her quietly.

“Do we need to have that talk, Alyssa? I thought you knew this?” She had a smile on her face but it quickly fell. “We didn’t think that I could get pregnant,” Bella said sadly. “It’s never been heard of before. Or at least not that any of the Cullens are aware of.”

“You looked perfectly fine though at the wedding. There is no way you should have grown that much.” I glanced towards her belly with concern.

“Well we think that’ where the vampire part comes in. It grows fast and it’s strong.” Bella grimaced after she admitted the baby was strong.

“It’s hurting you,” I surmised.

“Yes, and Edward hates himself for it. He thinks it’s his entire fault. But I’m the one who wanted to try. He wants me to get rid of it.” Bella clutched her stomach and tears appeared at the corners of her eyes. “But it’s my baby and I want it.”

“I understand,” I said. “It’s your child. And if this is what you want, I’ll support you decision.”

“You don’t agree with me?” Bella asked, the hurt in her voice. “It’s just a baby. We can’t kill it.”

“Bella, I just don’t like seeing you hurt. Can you understand that? I’m on your side of keeping the child.”

“Thank you, Ally,” Bella said. She then hugged me in which I hugged her back.