Enchanted

I'm wonderstruck; blushing all the way home

I shifted slightly, coming out of my sleep. I could feel the warm sheets around my body and the soft mattress beneath me. I snuggled in deeper not really feeling ready to wake up just yet. I sighed in contentment at finding a new comfortable spot and fell back asleep.

Image


I woke up again sometime later. I felt stiff and like I had been sleeping for days. My brain felt foggy and my limbs were heavy. Slowly I let my eyes blink open. The light hurt a bit and it took a couple seconds for me to get used to it. As my eyes adjusted I peered around the room. It was only then that I didn’t realize where I was.

I sat up and gazed around at the room. It was small. There were a couple pine dressers set up. A nightstand and the bed that I was laying in that were also pine. The house itself seemed made out of wood. It was had a nice, cozy cottage feel to it. There were plenty of blankets piled on top of me.

I swung my legs out of the bed and had a slight chill at the sudden change in temperature. Lightly I landed on the floor and saw my shoes neatly placed on the floor. Looking down at myself I realized I was still in my dress from Bella’s wedding. I touched my hair was relieved to find that the pins had been taken out. My hair was now in curls past my shoulders. I’m sure my makeup had smudged so I looked like a raccoon.

A knock sounded at the door and I slightly gasped. I froze in place and then the door opened. Standing in the door was a woman who seemed only a couple years older than I was. One side of her face was beautiful. The other was deeply scarred with four red, vivid lines. It didn’t seem to mar her beauty or her happiness.

“Hello,” she said gently like I was a frightened animal. “How are you feeling?” She opened the door all the way and came to stand in the room.

“Confused,” I said. There were a lot of questions I had now that I started thinking. I frowned slightly at the pressing thoughts that circled my mind. As I debated which question to ask my stomach involuntarily growled. I was slightly embarrassed but the woman only lightly chuckled.

“I can help with that,” she said pointing to my stomach. “I can show you to the bathroom if you’d like to freshen up.”

“Thank you,” I said sincerely. I followed her down a short hallway and into a nice bathroom. I instantly looked in the mirror wondering what the damage was. Sure enough my makeup had smudged enough so that my whole eye was encased in black. I looked like a raccoon.

Running the water, I dampened a tissue, not wanting to get one of their towels all black. Slowly I began to fix it so that it simply looked like I had a good smokey eye. I couldn’t get all of it off now. Once I looked decent I swished some water around in my mouth to get rid of the dryness and anything else that could be in my teeth. I didn’t exactly have a toothbrush.

Coming out of the bathroom I found the woman standing patiently outside the door. “Come on,” she said gently. “I have some soup downstairs for you.” I followed silently, my footsteps light and quiet. As we stepped downstairs on one side I noticed a living room. It held a couch and some chairs and a nice television. We turned the other way though.

She settled me down into a chair at a large table. The chair was nicely cushioned and a nice deep red. As I gazed around the nicely furnished room she came back with a bowl of soup that was still steaming. She set it down in front of me and placed a spoon next to it. “I’m Alyssa,” I suddenly blurted. The woman smiled at me kindly.

“I’m Emily. You should eat before it gets cold.” She stood up and waited for me to pick up the spoon.

“Thank you,” I mumbled before taking a spoonful and putting it into my mouth. It was a bit hot and burned. It tasted delicious though and I didn’t mind. I looked up to tell her how great it was but she had disappeared.

As I ate the soup I thought about how I was here. How I had gotten here. Who she was. I had no answers for any of these questions and my brain seemed too tired to even want to process these things. I wasn’t as alarmed as I should have been.

Suddenly I heard heavy footsteps down the stairs and then the door open and close. Emily came back into the room a few moments later. “Emily,” I said to get her attention. She was on her way to walk past me but I wanted to ask her the questions that circled in my head. She turned to me with a patient and kind look on her face. I wondered why she was treating me like a child. “Where am I?” I asked.

“You’re at my house, dear. It’s in La Push.” I nodded slowly. I knew where La Push was. It was only 15 minutes or so from Forks. I took another spoonful of soup and Emily moved off and back into the kitchen.

I ate my soup mindlessly now thinking. I was in Forks because of Bella’s wedding. It had been a wonderful affair. Edward had been such a gentleman. Him and his family were all gorgeous too. Bella had been simply beautiful. She was definitely the star of the show, as she should have been.

The whole wedding had been beautiful really. And then I remembered congratulating Bella on her accomplishment. She just seemed to radiate from being next to Edward. And then there were all the people dancing on the dance floor under the stars. It had been a beautiful night.

But I had been sitting alone. Everybody had either gone inside or had someone to dance with. And then I had heard Bella shouting with some guy. A frown creased my forehead as I remembered that. He hadn’t been nice. Bella had complained he was hurting her and I had gotten up to make sure she was okay.

And then…I came up blank. I couldn’t remember what else had happened. I didn’t know what happened next. My frown deepened and my soup became forgotten. It was then that I heard it. It sounded far off yet close to the house at the same time. It almost seemed to echo in my ears.

As the wolf’s howl ended the rest of the memories came rushing back. I froze in my seat remembering the horrifying events. The spoon fell from my hands and hit the table and then the floor with loud clangs. I remembered seeing Edward move Bella. And two giant wolves had appeared out of the forest. Jake and the other boy had disappeared. And then one of the wolves had gone back into the forest. A man came back out in its place. He had stepped towards me and then… And then I knew I had fainted. I felt like I was going to now. The soup I had eaten threatened to come back up.

I stood up from the table, the chair screeching against the floor at the sudden movement. I heard the door bang open and close and then heavy footsteps quickly come around the wall into the room I was in. I was left staring at the same man that had appeared out of the woods.

Image