Enchanted

And this is me praying that

I stalked back into the room and sat down in a huff. I put my head in my hands not knowing how I got to a place where it was even a question if my best friend should be murdered. Bella put a sympathetic hand on my back. I looked up at her and saw the same emotion in her eyes, fear.

“Bella, I don’t know what to tell your father,” I said addressing another problem. May as well get them out of the way. “He’ll wonder where I’m disappearing to all the time.”

“Well, I’m sure we’d be glad to have you here,” Alice said cheerily. “You’re here to protect Bella just like us all. And plus she’ll at least stall the wolves.” Everyone looked at Alice a bit somberly, her pep standing out brightly. But they all agreed that it would probably be best if I stayed here.

“Emmett, would you take her to retrieve her stuff?” Edward asked him.

“Gladly. Maybe I’ll run into a couple dogs out there.” He grinned and cracked his knuckles.

“No! Absolutely no fighting!” Esme said.

“What if they start it?” Jasper asked looking like he wanted a fight as well. All the siblings did, that was for sure.

“Esme is right. No fighting,” Carlisle said. “We’ll try to remain at peace with them for as long as we can.”

“How am I supposed to just get my stuff without Charlie suspecting anything?” I asked after a moment of silence. “I just go here this morning.” Looking outside it was dark out and Charlie would probably be wondering where I was.

“Tell him that my family didn’t help you at all and that you got in a fight with Jacob here as well,” Bella said. It was strange to hear her say ‘my family.’ The excuse wasn’t a good one but it was the best that we could come up with. It’s not like we could bribe Charlie into forgetting I was here about Bella.

“Alright, since that’s settled you had better be getting on your way. The sooner you can come back the better.” I nodded and stood up. Emmett led the way out of the house and we walked onto the family’s driveway. My first instinct was to go for my car but Emmett stopped me.

“I know a quicker way.” He had a mischievous grin that unsettled my stomach. “Hop on,” he said moving his arms indicating that I was supposed to get on his back.

“You’re serious?” I asked after a second of him waiting. “Wouldn’t Charlie wonder how I got there? Shouldn’t he see that I actually drive away in my car?” His grin faltered and then fell as he realized I was right.

“Okay, but one of these days you have to try it,” he said as we both walked to my car.

“We’ll see about that,” I said with a smile of my own. Just as we reached the car a large russet wolf came out of the woods right near me. I gave a cry of fright as it stopped in front of me. Amazingly though it soon became Jacob. Quickly I covered my eyes and turned away. “God, Jacob, put clothes on!” I said.

I imagined him blushing as Emmett sniggered. Jacob stumbled to put on the pair of shorts that were strapped around his ankle. “Decent,” he said a few moments later. I removed my hand to look at him and I could see a slight blush on his cheeks. It was strange seeing such a large man blush. “What are you doing?” he asked looking between Emmett and I.

“I’m getting my stuff from Charlie’s. I’m going to stay with the Cullens so that I can help protect Bella from you,” I said glaring at him harshly. He winced and awkwardly rubbed the back of his head.

“Yeah, I need to talk to you about that. All of you,” he said glancing at Emmett.

“Can it wait?” Emmett asked. There was a rustling in the brush and a sandy colored wolf appeared, its tongue lolling out of its mouth. I was thankful that this time I was able to control my fright and simply gasp in surprise.

“Seth? What are you doing here?!” Jacob asked in outrage. Seth turned and went back into the trees, disappearing in a couple of bounds. He came back a few seconds later human and clothed.

“I’m joining your pack,” Seth said grinning wildly at Jacob.

“There is no ‘my pack.’ There is me and then Sam’s pack,” Jacob said angrily, gritting his teeth.

“Wait, you created a pack?” Emmett asked, his eyes wide. Jacob glared at Seth before turning it on Emmett.

“That’s kind of what I wanted to talk to you guys about.”

“Sorry about ruining the surprise, Alpha,” Seth said looking extremely guilty.

“It’s Jake. And it wasn’t a surprise.” Jacob’s nerves looked ready to split and for him to just lose it. His arms had slight tremors going through them and his hands were balled into large fists.

“We better go back inside,” I said glancing over at Emmett in almost a ‘help me’ manner. If Jacob were to lose it and turn into a wolf, I’d want Emmett to swoop in and save me. Otherwise I think I’d have a heart attack from fright. Maybe being inside would calm Jacob down.

Wordlessly we all traveled inside. There was a hesitant glance from most of the Cullens and a snarl from Edward at the wolves’ appearance. “What is it, Jacob?” Carlisle asked him.

“Sam and the others still want to kill Bella. They believe that whatever it is inside of her is dangerous and to protect the people. I’ve removed myself from the pack and Seth just followed me although I strongly insist that he goes back to Sam.”

“Is that an order, Jake?” Seth asked as he casually lounged on a chair.

“No, but—”

“Then I’m staying here. I don’t believe in it anymore than you do.” Jacob simply nodded before looking at Carlisle again.

“We’ll help run a perimeter. Sam won’t like being down two wolves and losing the element of surprise on when to strike. They’ll also won’t attack either of us,” he said nodding towards Seth.

“Are you sure on that?” Carlisle asked him.

“No,” Jacob said simply not putting forth any more information.

“Would you be kind enough to step outside while my family and I discuss this matter? We’d be grateful for your help and assistance, Jacob,” Carlisle’s voice was full of sincerity.

“I didn’t do it for you,” Jacob sneered glancing over at where I stood. But he turned and walked out of the house with Seth quickly at his heels. I slipped out behind them although I’m sure my actions were blatant to everyone.

Jacob and Seth stood outside talking. As I approached Seth turned into a wolf. He barked towards me before taking off into the trees. Jacob turned and watched me approach him. “I’m sorry, Alyssa,” he said. His voice was deep and filled with sadness in the darkness.

“You’re making up for it,” I said just above a whisper. “Jacob, why did you come back?”

“For you,” he said like it was obvious. “You were right. I couldn’t go through with what they were planning to do. It was wrong. It was murder.” He shuddered slightly. “And I couldn’t take the risk of you getting hurt. I also couldn’t stand the idea of hurting you or being the cause of any type of pain.” He bit his lip stopping the flow of information coming out of it. He had already shared more than he had intended to.

I couldn’t think of anything to say to that. It was probably the sweetest and sincerest thing anybody had said to me. Wordlessly I took a couple steps forward closing the distance between us and just wrapped my arms around Jacob in a hug. I rested my head on his chest liking that his warmth dispelled the slight chill from the night. His arms wrapped around me encasing me in warmth. I felt myself instantly relax. I could feel all the muscle in Jake’s chest and his arms. And as sexy as it was, I felt safe and protected. I pulled away as an ironic smile appeared on my lips. Jake himself was grinning.

“What?” Jake asked as I kept looking at him.

“Who would have thought I’d feel protected by a wolf?” Jake chuckled still looking entirely happy. Compared to how his mood had been about twenty minutes ago, it was quite surprising.

“I have to go join Seth,” Jake said. He took a few steps back and I felt his warmth unfortunately leave me. He turned into a russet wolf again, towering over me. I felt my breath stop and my eyes go wide but I remained in place. As the wolf watched me I looked into its eyes. They were the same deep brown color Jake’s were. They were Jake’s. He yipped before tearing off in the direction Seth had gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know why there are no spaces between my chapters on the summary page. It took me long enough to simply change the chapter title back to how it should be. I don't know how to fix it because how it should be fixed is not working. New Mibba definitely still has some kinks that need to be worked out.

On another note, I finally updated! I hope you don't hate me for making you wait this long? The next chapter should be better. And yes, now is the time when Alyssa and Jake will be getting along more and getting to know each other and spending time together so be prepared for plenty of sappiness and cuteness. Warning: Clichés may appear.