Enchanted

Until I see you again

I sat around the house with Bella for the remainder of the day. Nothing happened since Seth slept most of the time. Alice sat down near him with her eyes closed. Rosalie never left Bella’s side and neither did Edward. Carlisle was up in his library looking up anything that could help Bella.

It wasn’t long into the night that Seth finally woke up. He was groggy at first and seemed a bit confused. “What time is it?” he asked, glancing out the window.

“About eleven,” Alice informed him.

“Oh no, Jake,” said Seth hurrying to get up and then running out the door before anything could be said. I went back to the book I was reading, even though my mind couldn’t stay focused on it. My thoughts were revolving around Jake. He should be here soon.

Bella had to go to the bathroom a lot more frequently now that she was drinking blood and eating food. And as the times before, Rosalie picked her up and carried her to the bathroom so that it didn’t put too much strain on her or the baby. Really she was probably too weak and bandaged up to move properly anyway.

Just as they went away, the front door opened up. Jacob, I knew instantly. Looking up my eyes met his and he smiled genuinely. I couldn’t help but smile in return as he came over and sat down next to me, his arm lazily going behind my shoulders.

“What were you up to today?” he asked. I held up the book in my lap before looking back at him. It was great to just be able to look at him. His eyes were such a wonderful, gorgeous brown.

Rosalie came back in with Bella then who immediately brightened when she saw Jake. “When did you get back?” she asked.

“Just a few seconds ago. How are you holding up?” he asked.

“I’m good,” Bella said as Rosalie put her gently on the couch. Edward brushed his hand across his forehead and then along her neck.

“Are you cold?” he murmured.

“I’m fine.”

“Bella, you know what Carlisle told you,” Rosalie said. “Don’t downplay anything. It doesn’t help us take care of either of you.”

“Okay, I’m a little cold. Edward, can you hand me that blanket?” In an instant she was tucked under the blanket.

“Rosalie, why don’t you get Jacob something from the kitchen?” Alice said out of nowhere. She was invisible now, sitting behind the sofa. Rosalie stared at the place Alice’s voice had come from in disbelief.

“Thanks, anyway, Alice, but I don’t think I’d want to eat something Blondie’s spit in. I’d bet my system wouldn’t take too kindly to venom.”

“Rosalie would never embarrass Esme by displaying such a lack of hospitality.”

“Of course not,” Blondie said in a sugar-sweet voice that didn’t sound very trustworthy. She got up and breezed out of the room. Edward sighed.

“You’d tell me if she poisoned it, right?” Jake asked.

“Yes,” Edward promised.

“She better not,” I said a bit defensively, moving myself closer to Jake. There was a lot of banging around in the kitchen. It wasn’t long before Rosalie was back with a pleased smirk on her face. She handed Jake a silver bowl.

“Enjoy, mongrel.”

The bowl was shaped exactly like a doggy dish. The name Fido was even scratched into the side. I immediately started laughing as Jake dug into his meal. Rosalie went and sat in an armchair, flicking through channels on the TV.

Jake finished his food in no time. He managed to do it pretty well with his arm around my shoulders the entire time. Before I knew it, I was leaning into him and my eyes started to get droopy. “Sleepy?” Jake asked me with a little smile on his face. I nodded, smiling a little.

Before I knew it he picked me up and began carrying me towards the stairs. “Where are we going?” I asked curiously.

“I’m taking you to bed,” he said with an obviously tacked on to the end of that sentence. I simply made a noise of agreement in my throat and relaxed in his arms. It felt so nice to have his arms holding me. I felt safe. Not to mention, he was so warm. It was almost a burning heat but I couldn’t quite tell if that was actually from his skin or what I was starting to feel.

I peered up at Jacob as he ascended the stairs. He looked pretty tired but very sure of himself. When you first looked at him he seemed a lot older than he was. There was a lot he was carrying on his shoulders I presumed. But on close examination you could still see that he wasn’t quite as old as you would think. His eyes, although dull with sleep, still shone and had an alertness about them that seemed a bit unnatural. That may have been due to the wolf inside of him.

“Jacob,” I said without consciously deciding to speak. He looked down at me as he entered my room and set me on the bed.

“What, Ally?” I smiled at my nickname.

“Jake, can you tell me about being a wolf?”

“What did you want to know?”

“Bella mentioned the one time about you having legends of your tribe. Tell me about them. I want to know more about you.” I reached out and placed a hand on his arm while looking up at him pleadingly.

Taking a deep breath Jake began to tell me about the legends, which weren’t really legends at all, it was true. True and scary. I was fascinated though as Jake’s words brought me back and I pictured everything he was saying. I shuddered imagining the woman tearing apart the village. Suddenly the Cullens didn’t seem as innocent and gentle. There really was danger here. All around me. But I was staying to make sure my best friend was safe. And as Jake pulled his story to a close and I let my eyelids flutter shut, something told me that I wouldn’t be able to leave again.