Enchanted

I wonder til I'm wide awake

As the water rushed around me I was struck by how much colder the water was than the air. It shocked me and I could feel the hairs on my body stand straight. I swam towards what I thought would be the surface. My eyes were clenched tight to prevent salt water from getting in them. I struggled to fight the current as it pushed my body back down.

Suddenly a warm hand grabbed my arm and hoisted me upwards. I gasped for air as I hit the surface. I was pressed against a warm, hard body, one arm held me up around my waist. I blinked the water away from my eyes, the surroundings becoming clearer.

I was met with the face of Seth. He seemed to be easily treading water in the strong currents. Even holding me didn’t seem a problem and I was barely kicking. “Are you alright?” he asked, angling my face so that I was looking in his warm, brown eyes.

“Yeah,” I said shakily. I then realized that my whole body was shaking. I wasn’t sure if it was from the cold or the fact I had thought I was going to die. I hadn’t realized it but Seth had been slowly swimming towards the shore. Once we were a bit away from it, I felt Seth stand up. He held me though until the water was at my waist and then let me walk on my own.

I was still shaking from the cold and Seth pulled me closer to him. I was too cold to barely walk forward. My teeth were chattering and my whole body shaking. A nice day in Port Angeles was still terrible in La Push. I was grateful for Seth’s warmth and didn’t mind being squished to his side. It was either that or I felt like I was going to die from hypothermia.

As we walked on to shore everyone crowded around us wanting to see if I was okay. I didn’t like all the attention everyone was getting me. “Get her a towel,” snapped Seth, putting a protective arm around me. Someone ran off to get a towel and I saw the others move back a bit.

Jacob came running up to us. He looked completely panicked and heart stricken. He came over to me and Seth barely slowing down until he was on top of us. “Alyssa,” he said and reached out to me like he was going to take me in his arms. I shied away from him, slightly using Seth to shield myself.

“Alyssa, I am really sorry,” he said, his pleading with mine. I buried my face into the back of Seth, not wanting to look. His eyes made me want to forgive him but I didn’t want to. He shouldn’t have been that close behind me. He shouldn’t have lunged towards me. He’s not even the one that saved me. He made me come here. “Alyssa,” he said sounding heartbroken.

A towel was given to Seth who placed it around my shoulders. Being this close to him and the towel soaking up the freezing water, I was beginning to feel better. My teeth no longer were chattering but I was still shaking and my limbs felt heavy and hard to move. I purposely avoided making eye contact with Jacob.

“She needs to get inside, Jake. We need to get her back to Sam’s,” said Seth. I took a peek at Jacob just in time to see his face fall. He turned around and walked back towards his car with slow and heavy steps. Seth gently steered me after him and I let him lead me, still shaking from the cold.

I was gently put in the backseat with Seth. Jacob was in the front seat, his grip on the steering wheel tight. His eyes met mine in the rearview mirror and I could see the sadness in them. The same guy as before climbed into the passenger seat and then we were off.

The ride back was much slower than the ride there. And everyone was silent other than the soft sound of the radio. I found it so quiet that I didn’t even hear what it was saying. With the heat blasting and I cuddled into Seth’s side, I managed to stop shaking but still felt coldness down to my bones.

When we pulled up to Sam’s I was helped out by Seth. Jacob stormed ahead of us into the house. The other guy followed slower behind and Seth and I were the last ones to follow. As we opened the front door the other guys pulled up in Paul’s car.

I glanced behind me to see them all pile out of the car and follow us inside. As Seth and I walked inside Emily came around the wall looking worried. As soon as she saw me she rushed forward and took me away from Seth. I was a bit sad as the warmth left me but trusted Emily more than I ever would any of them.

“Come on upstairs, dear,” said Emily. She led me by my shoulders up the staircase and into the bedroom I had woken up in. She opened one of the dressers and pulled out a pair of sweatpants. “I think these will fit you,” she said and handed them to me. “They’ll be warmer than your shorts.” She took me into the bathroom then and allowed me to change back into my clothes.

Peeling off the wet bathing suit, the hairs on my body stood up again. I could still feel the cold surrounding me. I quickly changed into my clothes. The sweatpants fit loosely on my hips but they were warm. I hung the bathing suit and towel up in the bathroom, hopeful that it was acceptable.

Afterwards I opened up the door to find that Emily was not waiting for me, nobody was. I slowly crept downstairs, keeping my footsteps light and as silent as I could manage. I walked to the entrance of the living room. As I stood in the doorway I noticed the boys watching TV. Sam was nowhere to be seen and it looked like another of the boys was gone also.

“There you are, sweetie,” said Emily behind me. I jumped at the sound of her voice. As I turned to look at her I felt eyes turn on me. Emily held out a thermos towards me. I tentatively took it and gazed at it questioningly. “Its hot chocolate,” Emily explained to me and then turned to go upstairs.

I turned back to the boys in the living to see most of the eyes had returned to the TV screen. The only eyes that watched me were Jacob’s. I purposely avoided them. I walked over to an open spot near Seth and sat down next to him. “Are you still cold?” he asked me. I nodded once quickly. He slid over so his body was directly next to mine and put an arm around me. I leaned into him liking the warmth he provided.

I heard a growl sound through the room. With terrified eyes I watched to see Jacob stand up and practically run out of the house. I looked to Seth questioningly but he ignored my gaze and instead turned to look at the TV. I bit my lip nervously for a second.

I decided to take a hesitant sip of the hot chocolate Emily gave. It was delicious and I eagerly took another sip. I could feel it beginning to warm me from the inside, getting rid of the chill. I took another sip turning to watch whatever the TV held along with the guys. Eventually my head got heavy and I rested it on Seth’s shoulder.

Image


When Seth put his arm around her I couldn’t take it anymore. How dare he move in on my imprint. I was the one who was supposed to take care of her. I was supposed to make sure she was okay, make sure she was safe.

I couldn’t help the growl that escaped my throat. But instead of acting on the feelings I was having and scaring Alyssa more, I ran out of there. I didn’t want to watch her be content to be near Seth and ignore my existence. I didn’t want her to be happy without me.

I ran into the woods and after taking off my shirt I phased into a wolf. My paws hit the forest floor in loud, pounding steps. I tuned out the others who were on patrol and instead allowed myself to be immersed in my own thoughts.

I allowed Alyssa to swirl around my mind. I was resentful towards Seth. How could he let this happen? How could he be okay with this? I growled, wanting to put the younger shifter in his place. Jake, that’s not what he’s doing, said Paul to me.

He’s letting her be comfortable with us. He’s letting her get close, chimed in Sam.

It should be me doing that, I snarled back. They saw they weren’t going to get through to me. I was set in my ways and I was stubborn. They weren’t going to change them. I ran around angry at the world for awhile. How could they give me an imprint that doesn’t want anything to do with me, that’s terrified of me? It wasn’t fair. How come I couldn’t get a break?

I stopped in my run and let out a mournful howl. It’s like I lost my imprint before I even had her. My thoughts turned to Alyssa and how wonderful she was. She was beautiful, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. Her voice was music to my ears. Everything about her sent me to a higher place. I wanted her so much. Why couldn’t she feel the same about me?

As I was thinking about her I realized that I still needed to take her home. The sun was setting and she would probably want to be getting back now. I ran lightly towards Sam’s house hoping that she was still there, that I hadn’t missed my chance.

I phased back and picked up a pair of shorts from one of our hidden stashes. Putting that on and the shirt I had dropped before, I walked towards the house. Coming in I was struck by how quiet it was. Going into the living revealed that Collin and Brady had gone home. Quil and Embry were still there along with Seth and Alyssa.

Alyssa slept peacefully on Seth’s shoulder. She looked content. When I walked in Seth looked to me apologetically. “I need to be getting home,” he said. “Mom will want me for dinner. Can you take my place?” He spoke softly as not to wake her.

I nodded and walked over. Slowly Seth got up and a frown crossed Alyssa’s face. She leaned against the back of the couch, not looking happy. I sat down softly in Seth’s place. I was slightly amazed as Alyssa curled in next to me. Grabbing my shirt, she pulled herself closer to me until she was almost on top of me. She laid her head on my chest.

I didn’t dare move during the whole ordeal incase my movement woke her up. When she seemed to be done moving I placed one arm around her keeping her close to me. She smiled in her sleep at the contact. I practically beamed. She had looked content with Seth but with me she looked happy. I knew then that she felt the imprint. Even if when she was awake she avoided contact, I knew she still felt it.

Image
♠ ♠ ♠
Ta da! I found this chapter adorable. Next chapter may be a little weird and a little too soon. Kind of is in my opinion. But hopefully I can explain it correctly eventually.

A special thank you to
babygurl94512
wolfprincess1995
cocopuffs
for commenting. I love you guys!