The Pianist

Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Ever since I saw my first concert in the theater as a boy, I had dreamed of playing a duet with the Pianist. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on and her music... her music was just as beautiful. It was played powerfully with clarity and musical emotion. The Pianist had always dreamt of having a mother to play to. Someone to make proud with her music. And now, we both had a chance to full fill our dreams.

Two days after saving Aria from the alley, we sat in my living room, her at the Piano and I on a stool with my Cello. She started off the piece with a fluid melody, her fingers undoubtedly playing everything perfectly. Five measures in I play a soft harmony, my own fingers sliding up and down the fingerboard.

For the week of rehearsal we had before next Saturday, we played for at least five hours a day and enjoyed every second of it. Laughs and tears were shared as we told stories about our lives, found common interests, watched movies. One night, Aria crept into my room, trying her best not to wake me and curled up against my back. I didn’t dare move, I just smiled softly and went back to sleep.

When I woke up in the morning -sometime in the night I had rolled over- Aria’s forehead rested upon my own. Her eyes blinked open only moments after my own and a soft smile curved her lips. My hand had a mind of its own as my fingers caressed the side of her face, brushing away strands of hair that slipped out of her ponytail during the night. Our eyes met and I had the overwhelming desire to kiss her, but desperately held myself back. This moment was too perfect to ruin with a stupid want such as a kiss.

Aria sat up on her elbow, a timid look coming into her face. I dropped my hand, assuming I was making her uneasy. She looked down at the bed, her eyelashes casting shadows across her smooth cheeks. I wanted to touch them, to feel the natural blush, wondering if it was as warm and soft as it looked, but I knew that would be a bad move.

“I should go back… my father must be angry.”

My eyes snapped open as wide as saucers and I sat straight up in an instant panic. “Aria, you can’t. If you do, you’ll never be able to get out for Saturday night.”

She looked up at me, her gaze pleading. “I can’t stay away forever. He’ll come find me.”

“You’re eighteen, an adult by law. He has no hold over you. Move out and if he does come after you I will call the police.”

“I have nowhere to go, Ethan.”

“You can live here.”

It was her turn to widen her eyes. “I couldn’t possibly. I can’t intrude… this is your home.”

I placed my hand over hers. “You can’t say no. I forbid you. This is your home now, too.”

She grinned. “Thank you.”

***************
Aria was everything I had ever imagined the Pianist would be like and better. Her smile, her eyes, her laugh, God they were beautiful. Everything about her seemed to shine. She was the light in my shadow.

Before we knew it, Saturday was here. I had called ahead to tell my mother what was going on. She was excited for me and for Aria, she couldn’t wait to see what we had planned for her.

All day Aria fretted over forgetting her music or screwing up a note or not looking pretty enough. She constantly went into the bathroom to check her appearance and if she wasn’t in there, she was sitting at the piano, playing and replaying the hardest parts.She never messed up, but she insisted she needed to be better.

By the time one o’clock rolled by, Aria’s lunch - chili, her favorite - was still sitting untouched and cold at the table. The piano was being fiercely played with anger and frustration. I had to stop her. Slowly, I put my hands on her shoulders, sliding them down her arms and gently grasping her wrists, making her come to a stop.

“You have to calm down,” I whispered in her ear. “You’re only doing yourself harm.”

“But I have to be perfect, Ethan. You don’t understand.”

To my horror, tears leaked down her pale cheeks. I ran my thumb over it, wiping away her tears and cupping her face. “But you already are perfect, Aria. The music... the music is wonderful. It couldn’t be better, not a single mistake. And you... you are the most beautiful girl I have ever laid my eyes on.”

She looked up at me, a blush creeping into her cheeks. “Really?”

I smiled. “Really.”

She sighed, turned and pulled on the cover over the piano keys. Aria grinned sheepishly at me. “Mind warming up that chili?”

I laughed. “Of course.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

6:00 PM

I stood in front of the full body mirror on my wall clad in a three piece black suit and a white dress shirt. My brown hair was a little wild and carefree, but Aria said she liked it so I kept it that way. As of now, she was getting ready in the guest bedroom. Not that I thought she needed to get ready. She was already so naturally beautiful.

With one final tug on my tie, I left my room and double checked my Cello case to make sure I had everything I needed. Bow, tuner, cleaning kit...

“How do I look?”

I turned from where I knelt on the floor and about fell over, dumbfounded. An angel from Heaven stood before me in rich blue dress that brought out her curves and beautiful gray-blue eyes. I stammered for a response, finally spitting out “G-G-Great.” I half laughed, quickly standing up. My palms were suddenly clammy and I felt my neck heating up. I knew I was blushing and I blushed even more because I was blushing. Oh God.... I’m a mess.

“Are you okay, Ethan?” She placed a gentle hand on my shoulder.

“Y-Yeah. I’m fine. You - you just look so beautiful.” I’m such a loser. What a cheesy thing to say! Ugh... I’m getting no where. “Let’s go.”

She grinned. “Let’s.” She slipped on her coat and looping an arm with mine, she led us out the door, allowing me to lock it before walking out onto the sidewalk.

We were at the theater in fifteen minutes. Aria took me to the back entrance where only performers were allowed. We sat in her own tiny room, almost like how a movie star would have in Hollywood only less.... well, expensive and luxurious. An eccentric man in his late thirties came to tell us we had ten minutes before we were on. We thanked him and he gave us a tray of water, coffee and some lemon cakes. I gladly poured myself two glasses of water, suddenly feeling parched.

Aria opened my Cello case for me as I did this, cleaning it quickly so that it shined and refreshing the hairs of the bow. I thanked her and warmed up my instrument to the best of my ability without being too loud. Aria fingered the electric piano in the corner, keeping the sound off. We both had our music memorized, but it was a good idea to refresh the brain before going on stage.

We sat together on the small bench for the vanity, nervous and excited at the same time. Aria clenched my hand with her fingers and bit her lip for a long time, staring at the door with a blank look. Suddenly, she turned to me, her eyes searching my own. For what, I will never know.
“Do you think… my mother would be proud of me?” She whispered.

“Of course she would be,” I exasperated. “Aria, you’re the most beautiful, talented woman I have ever met. You are strong and kind. A daughter every mother would want.”

She smiled softly for a moment before it disappeared into a blank expression again. Her lashes slowly lowered. “She died, you know. Of cancer, when I was very small. I have no memory of her and my father doesn’t keep pictures around the house.”

I squeezed her hand in reassurance, but didn’t know what to say.

“You don’t have to say anything,” she said, as if she read my thoughts. “I just wanted you to know.”

I nodded. “I’m glad you could tell me.”

She smiled softly in response, still holding my hand.

Before I knew it, it was time. Aria grinned with excitement, yanking us to our feet and leading the way onto the stage. There were murmurs as people realized the Pianist had an accompanist, some were good and some not so good, but I knew that by the end of this performance we would change the bad ones to great ones. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed my mom in the middle of the second row. She winked when we met gazes and I felt yet another blush rushing into my face.

Finally we were settled and Aria leaned into the microphone attached to her Piano. “I’m sure you’ve noticed this new lovely fella next to me.” There were nods and murmurs of agreement. “This is Ethan and tonight he is accompanying me in the “River Flows in You” duet. This song is dedicated to his mom, Dorris, who has done us both a great deal of good.”

And, just like in our rehearsals, she started it off with a beautiful melody and I accompanied with my harmony. In the middle of the song, we had people whistling and cheering and clapping with excitement. My mother the loudest and proudest of them all. Aria was laughing and smiling and crying all at the same time. All I could do was grin with joy. My dream was coming true because I was fulfilling Aria’s dream.

We came to a slow, dramatic stop, a moment of a silence and then the entire theater shot to their feet, clapping and whooping in approval. Aria stood next to me giving me a quick grin before returning to our audience. Her hand tangled with mine before we bowed, causing a shock of heat to weave through my body. Suddenly, a stroke of courage came over me and I turned to Aria, took her chin between my fingers and kissed her soft, plump lips. The audience “awed” and clapped and whistled, but Aria... Aria kissed me back. I didn’t care about anyone else, but her and what she was doing. I pulled back, a tentative smile curving my mouth. Aria smiled too.

“You weren’t the only one watching all these years,” she whispered and that’s when I realized I was in love with the Pianist.
♠ ♠ ♠
:) I love you Aunt Kimmy