Sequel: Inside the Fire

Fake It

Lullaby

Dante ran her fingers lightly down Severus' chest. She closed her eyes and listened to his even breathing, the signal that he had finally fallen asleep. After her little mental breakdown, they had pretty much fallen into bed. She sighed as her eyes opened again, this time studying his face. The moonlight left shadows in the hollows of his cheeks and under his eyes. He looked tired. She doubted he'd had a decent night's sleep in weeks, if not months. She laid her head back on his chest, listening to his heart beat steadily. The good news was he would now contact her if he needed anything, the bad news was, and he knew she was worrying about him now. Not that she cared at the moment. She just wanted everything to end.

Getting up, she grabbed a discarded sheet and wound it around herself. She walked to the window and looked out into the world. It was so peaceful out in the middle of nowhere. She wanted to stay forever, but there was a job to do and no one else was going to do it. Lost in thought, she was startled as a strong pair of arms wrapped around her waist and he kissed her neck.
"Why are you awake?"
His breath was hot on the back of her neck as he whispered the question in her ear.
"Couldn't sleep."
Her own voice whispered back.
"Maybe you should come back to bed then."
He chuckled as she raised an eyebrow in his direction.
"And why should I do that Mr.?"
She tried to hide the giggle in her voice but failed miserably. Severus moved away only to pull her back down on to the bed.
"Now isn't that better?" He asked as he wrapped his arms around her.
"Mmhmm."
She nodded. Her eyelids getting heavy as he rubbed her back. The last thing she remembered before falling asleep was a mumbled whisper and a kiss on the forehead.