Kid A

Ten.

Thom woke up some time later and came to join us in the kitchen.
“Hey, Thom, are you feeling better?” Ed asked.
“Hmm?”
“Well you had Jonny worrying pretty bad over here.”
“… I’ll be okay.” Thom shrugged. “I always am, right?”
“Thom, we just want to help,” I butted in.
He looked taken aback, “Jonny you were with me the whole time… I thought everything was okay… What’s gotten into you?”
“… Thom I don’t even remember last night,” I felt tears start to form, “I don’t know what happened and I’m so scared for that.” I bit my lip and stood next to Ed, who rubbed my shoulder a bit in comfort.
Thom looked at me in disbelief. “You don’t even remember it?”
I shook my head. “Was it bad? Did I hurt you??” I bit my lip as I tried harder to keep back tears.
Thom continued to stare. “Well you are a little, now. Jonny, what do you think happened?”
I inched behind Ed to protect myself before speaking, “I don’t know Thom, I can’t remember. All I can think is maybe you got drunk and maybe I did too and that’s why I feel so sick today, but that scares me so much… I hate when you drink, Thom, it never ends well…”
Ed turned around to face me and whispered to me, “Jonny, calm down, nobody’s going to hurt you.”
Thom didn’t move. “I wasn’t drunk, Jonny. Not even close. I guess I just didn’t realise that you were…” He looked away.
“Maybe I should leave you two to figure this out…” Ed started to get up.
“No, Ed!” I blurted out. “I… Maybe you can help me make sense of it…”
Ed looked puzzled, but he sat back down. Thom walked over to us and looked at my sadly.
“Jonny I’m so sorry… I shouldn’t have… I’m sorry Jonny. I understand now.”
I panicked. “Thom what happened? What do you understand??”
“Last night. It makes sense now.”
My heart rate picked up. “Thom what happened? What did I do??”
Ed let out a sigh and stood up again, “Jonny, you probably…” he stopped mid-sentence, “actually I’m sorry guys. I really think I should go and let you two get this sorted out before we do anything.”
I nodded. “Okay, Ed. Maybe you can come over again tomorrow or something,” I tried to smile at him, though it seemed forced through everything I was battling with.
“Yeah, just let me know. See you later Jonny, Thom.” He nodded as he grabbed his coat and walked out the door.
I took a moment to catch my breath. “Thom. I want you to tell me. What did we do last night?”
He took my hand and led me over to the couch, where he sat me down next to him. “Jonny, you might not be ready to here this… It’s just… Things happened really fast.”
“I can handle it, Thom. I’m not as fragile as you think,” I frowned, “I’m not a kid anymore.”
He smiled and gently kissed my cheek a couple of times. “Oh, Jonny…” he pulled me in closer, “I’m so sorry, Jonny.”
I leaned into him. “Thom, why do you say that? Why are you sorry for me?”
“Because you were drunk and you came onto me and I took advantage of that. I’m so sorry, Jonny, I didn’t know… I should’ve figured but I just didn’t know… You’d only had two glasses of wine, and, and…”
I put a finger to his lips and shushed him. “Thom are you saying that me and you… we…”
He nodded.
“All the way?”
He nodded again.
“Oh, Thom…” I took a deep breath and buried my face into his shoulder. “I can’t…” I choked for a moment, “please don’t be sorry for me Thom… I… I…” my voice started to shake violently, “I wanted it too I just…”
He kissed my forehead and gently ran his fingers through my hair as I clung to him. “Shh… Jonny… Don’t fret over it, please… Let’s just go back to before last night, okay?”
I nodded and lifted my head to kiss him gently on the lips. “Thom?”
“Yes?”
“Did you enjoy it?”
He bit his lip. “More than anything before.”
I smiled and cuddled up to him. “Then… Maybe…” I let my voice trail off, and Thom said nothing in response as I nestled in his arms.