Kid A

Eight.

We went back to Phil’s house where Cait made us the most wonderful meal of soup and garlic bread. Colin was the first one to finish, as always, and he thanked her for the beautiful meal and kept saying how it was the best thing he’d eaten in ages. Cait just made fun of him by saying that was only because he lives off of microwave dinners all of the time.
I was the last one to finish, but that’s usually the case whenever we have a meal together.
“Thanks for the soup, Cait. It really was lovely,” I smiled, “I can’t thank you enough for all you do for us.”
Cait just laughed, “Oh stop it Jonny, you know you’re as well as a part of this family.”
I smiled. “You’re too good to all of us, I don’t know how Phil got so lucky.”
She smiled back at me, “Things just happen I guess, but I’d say you’re pretty lucky too, Jonny.” She glanced over at Thom.
I blushed, “Yeah I guess you’re right.”
---
After dinner we all went our own way, and when I got home I really didn’t do anything interesting except for play on the piano for hours and then sleep the best I have for ages.
---
I went over to Thom’s house the next day, which is always kind of a frightening quest. His walls were plastered with handwritten lyrics that reached back into the darkest part of his mind, and the furniture all looked cluttered as if it hadn’t been cleaned in ages. It just gets like that because Thom gets into this mode when he’s writing and he won’t do anything else, but I guess it’s good that he’s like that because his words are always the most brilliant things.
“Sorry about the mess, Jon…” He looked down, “I would’ve cleaned if I knew you were coming over here.”
I smiled. “No you wouldn’t.”
He shrugged, “Okay you’re right. But I’m still sorry.”
I shrugged back, “It’s fine, Thom, it’s not even close to the worst that this place has been.” I made my way over to the couch and sat down, looking over and reading some of the papers that were put up on the wall.
Thom sat next to me and frowned. “They’re not very good. I don’t know what it is. I just can’t write like I used to, Jonny… It’s like there’s something blocking it.”
“Thom, remember when you told me that I just had to attack things even when I had no idea what I was doing?”
He nodded.
“Take your own advice for once.” I smiled.
His face just twisted. “I guess I can try,” he shrugged.
“Hey, there’s no rush.” I smiled at him. “Maybe you just need a break from thinking so hard.”
“What would I do without you, Jonny?”
I shrugged. “Look around you.”
We sat in awkward silence for some time after that, until I looked up to notice Thom’s face was just centimetres from my own. I felt the skin of my face heat up again, but Thom didn’t say anything, he just kept a steady gaze into my eyes. I never noticed just how beautiful his droopy eyelid was until now, or just how well the uneven features of his face fit everything about him.
“Jonny,” he whispered.
“Mhm?”
“Did I ever tell you that you’re probably the most beautiful person?”
My eyes widened and my face was definitely glowing red at this point. I shook my head. “N-no…” I bit my lip to try to keep from shaking all over.
“Stop being so nervous all of the time,” he smiled. “You should have already figured out that I like you too.” In a flash, his perfect lips were pressed neatly against mine.
---
“Thom?”
He nodded at me.
“Thanks.”
He reached over and gently wrapped his arms around me. “What the hell are you thanking me for, Jonny?”
I rested my head against his. “Because you don’t hate me so thanks.”
Thom looked rather puzzled, but he just shrugged it off and held me closer, and that was possibly the best feeling ever.